Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
VW Corrados

Hey everybody; I ask for your thoughts on Corrados. Basically, the Corrado SLC has always been one of my favorite cars, and this summer, with Kristin graduating, she'll probably need a car. I was originally either going to get her a 1st gen Neon R/T or a Contour SVT (another sweet car), but I've come across a certain corrado. Basically, 2 years ago, I was driving in WI (about 1 hour away) and I saw a red SLC for sale at a local dealership. I went up and looked at it, I still had my neon, and was looking for a Corrado or an SVX. It was red and it had some custom rims (kinda ugly, but whatever, that's easy to change), and the interior needed a little help (the shifter boot was torn to pieces, a few things missing), and the exterior was just kinda sad. Peeling clearcoat, different color front fender, dinged up (not big dents, just little dings all over, scratches, etc), and it's missing the side trim on one side,a nd both front fogs are missing from the bumper. So from a asthetic standpoint, it's BEAT. I checked the price. They were asking $7500. BHAhaHahAhAHAH YEAH RIGHT! I left, and didn't think of it again. Kristin however, DID really really like it, and it's one of her favorite cars. Long story short, i drove by the dealership today, and said "Hey remember that red Corrado we looked- HOLY CRAP! THERE IT IS!" Same car, in the same condition. I stopped and peeked at it... basically, I'm thinking if mechanically, it checks out, to offer a pretty damn low price for it, since it's been sitting in the same lot for TWO YEARS. Talk about depreciation. The thing is just kinda beat up and sad looking, but I have access to a bodyshop, so if it was purchased for a song, I could fix the few things it has wrong, and get a fresh paintjob and buy some stock rims for it.... nice car, for not a lot of $. What do you guys think?

- Rob
Old 03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

VW

Hi Rob, I think you would be safe in saying "Beat outside, beat inside". If someone didn't give even basic care to the body work and interior what makes you think the PO did anything to the guts. In two years nobody thought anything but beat is beat and let it sit. This is not a roller found in a barn under a hay stack, that was a million dollar find. I would say keep looking. Take care, BOBB
Old 03-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

That is true, but I'd have it checked out by a local import shop before I purchased it. I did that to the last SLC I was interested in, it turns out the engine was about to die. :\ good thing I had it checked out!!

- Rob
Old 03-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Hater

sounds like a great idea.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
sounds like a great idea.
Please do not post in my threads. You are not welcome, and I'm reporting this thread also. Go away. **** elsewhere, I don't appreciate your constant sarcasm.

- Rob
Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

this looks like it maybe a good deal

hey robert,

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=600

saw this on autotrader. it looks like a great deal if you don't mind driving and can negotiate a good deal. looks like they took good care of their car. good luck.

oh wait, i wonder if he can read this.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Sold. :'-(

What is thebyear/miles on the SLC?

The VR6 powertrain is a very good one, and the platform that car is on (modified late A2) is also easy to tune. However, of all the VWs out there, the Corrados were the most trouble from a reliability standpoint; power windoes and central locking went out frequently, paint and trim were generally a mess...I guess it all comes down to what you want to use the car for. If you're going to freshen and beef-up the mechanicals and strip the rest and race it, I say go for it. But if you're wanting it to eventually be a nice road car, I'd find a much cleaner example first, and still be prepared for some maintenance.

Good luck!
Raxles front axles
Old 03-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Well if all works out, it'd be a nice daily driver. If the mechanicals check out, I'm prepared to make an obscenely low offer, since hte car according to kbb.com is only worth about 1000-1500 dollars. If I snag it, I'll be selling hte rims, getting some new paint, and fixing what needs fixing. I'll get more info on it in a few days.

- Rob
Old 03-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

I've heard it's best to avoid the supercharged 4 banger at all costs. The VR6 was offered after the first year, I think, (which a dangerous thing in itself).

Ron (I believe).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yeah, the G60s blow. The G-ladder is really weak.

- Rob
Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 AM
SVX Appeal

The timeout on this forum is beginning to do more than just irritate me. This time it scuttled my post. Now it's more than just annoying. Okay, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening. Now where was I?

I've never been a big fan of Volkswagens. It seems to me that for whatever bit better they may be, they cost at least that much more. Usually they just cost more but aren't any better...at least that's been my experience. I don't think they're the gifts from God that some may suggest, but they're okay in my book. Reasons aside, I have no bias towards them.

That said, I think Corrados are pretty neat. I have a buddy who has one. The previous owner was a tuner and, I know, I thought the same thing...until I looked at what had been done and how it had been done. Apparently some tuners do know what they're doing. This little car, (which looks sporty, but seems unassuming because you'd assume it's just another slow, but fast looking teenager-marketed economy car,) is actually a nice package that really does perform on several levels.

First, it's actually pretty quick. What surprised me most is that at first I swore it was RWD. I spun the tires several times but was still confused - until I saw the white smoke coming from the front of the car. How strange. Cool...

Second, it's much smaller than an SVX, but it has far, far more useful cargo space. The rear seat is about as useful as the one in an SVX - functional, but not comfortable for anyone but children. The rear area is quite useful though, and I prefer it (for functionality's sake) to a Golf.

The only problems my buddy has had was a leaky coolant fitting, and the central door locking problem. The door lock problem was a faulty vacuum pump, which is VW's bass-ackwards solution to door servos. That was $150 at a wrecking yard. The leaky coolant fitting is the same problem that plagues every other VW: For some reason VW uses modern plastics for the non-critical interior trim pieces, but uses fifty year old plastic technology for important engine components which shouldn't be made of plastic to begin with. Fortunately, the fix costs all of $15 and every VW dealership stocks the part. The good news is that the Corrado shares many parts with other VWs, so even major things such as engine failures are not the end of the world.

There's something I've noticed about Mazda RX7s and Pontiac Fieros: You see a LOT of them in wrecking yards and they're always totally trashed. On the street, half of them are nearly perfect because they're owned by responsible collectors, but the other half drive around as if they came from the wreckers like zombies from the living dead. For some reason, the people who tend to own those cars also tend to beat the %#&@ out of them. I can't explain what it is about those cars, but whatever it is, the Corrado falls into the same category with owners of the same mentality. Watch out.

Regarding the supercharged G60. It's a fine system. In fact, it's a true compressor (as opposed to a Roots,) positive displacement, and it's nearly as efficient as a screw compressor. The "G-Ladder" compressor is a fantastic design aside from the expense of producing them. It's also very much like having a second motor under your hood - more power, but also another thing to maintain. Yes, the G-Ladder is notorious for exploding. Why? Because nobody maintains them. Can you imagine buying an SVX and not knowing about the transmission? ...or not maintaining it? The G-Ladder is a much better problem to have. An SVX tranny will fail sooner or later. The G-Ladder just needs a little TLC and it'll last forever. A screw-type or Roots compressor requires basically no maintenance.

The G-Ladder has three major reasons that it tends to fail. First, and most common is because the timing belt breaks. There's a belt inside there, and it's just as important as the timing belt in an interference engine. If it breaks, game over. No more quarters to put the slot. Second, the bearings eventually wear out and that causes big, fast-moving, close-tolerance parts to touch...and that's a bad touch - not the type a little counseling will help with. Instant death. Third, people put overdrive pulleys on and spin the bejezus out of them. There are oscillating parts inside and the laws of physics are non-negotiable. You break the law, the fine is at least a $1000 for a new compressor. (Still cheaper than a tranny, eh?) No matter what though, if you don't want to buy a new one, you must maintain it.

As for the G60 vs., VR6 equation? Displacement holds a place in my heart that forced induction shall never occupy. The consensus among tuners however, is that the G60 is much more, and less expensively, tunable. Moreover it weighs less, and this leaves the VR6 in want of the better balance and handing the G60 possesses. Fuel economy and straight-line performance is about the same. Put 'em in the twisties however, and the G60 will walk away from the VR6. Oh yeah, the G-Ladder sounds cool too.

Luxurious? No, not really. Practical? Surprising, yes. Fun? Oh, definitely yes. One thing I can say is that my buddy's extensively tuned G60 is fast, but in the quarter mile, not as fast as my completely bone-stock SVX. Put us in the twisties however, and he'll smoke me. Trips around town? The Corrado. Long road trips? The SVX.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:21 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I read up on one back in 2001... Discovered that the VR6 engines had a problem with blowing headgaskets(kinda like the Neon did)... If the service history is not with the car I wouldn't look at it that hard... I stopped looking at the Corrado (even though I still like it ALOT) after I found out that about the VR6...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-23-2004, 06:28 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
Trips around town? The Corrado. Long road trips? The SVX.
My thoughts exactly. The Corrado makes an excellent city car, or tight road twisty car. The SVX makes the ultimate touring car. Together, I'd be set.

- Rob
Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

My thoughts exactly. The Corrado makes an excellent city car, or tight road twisty car. The SVX makes the ultimate touring car. Together, I'd be set.

- Rob
I beg to differ about the tight twisty road car not being the SVX now j/k man... I know what ya mean... I'm just talking about with this suspension my SVX corners harder thatn nearly anything I have ever been in!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

Please do not post in my threads. You are not welcome, and I'm reporting this thread also. Go away. **** elsewhere, I don't appreciate your constant sarcasm.

- Rob
sarcasm is followed by the smiley, which i had omitted. i sincerely think it would be the perfect car for you.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: