Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2001, 06:53 PM
ravi

hey Huck, got a question for you?
After installing Manual tranny, does all your automatic system still work, like climate control and stuff??
Old 10-15-2001, 12:01 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Good to hear it's working well, Huck, and thanks for the pointers! Personally I can't wait for my project to be done. This should be great once it's actually functional for me. I want to have it done in about a month (as a birthday present to myself).

I'm going to try using the original crossmember, since it will have three bolts on each side I think, which should be more stable, and the fact that my particular transmission didn't come with its own crossmember or mount either!

Ravi, I think that the only problem should be with the cruise control, as other things are running on separate systems. I was afraid originally that the engine wouldn't start after a mod like this, but you just need to make sure that the shifter thinks it is sorta both in park (so you can take the key out) and in neutral (so you can actually put power to the wheels manually). This is just a matter of crossing the right wires that used to go to the shifter.

Then again, I don't think my cruise control was working anyway, so no loss to me!
Old 10-15-2001, 05:02 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Ravi,
The climate control works fine, as it doesn't really have any connection to the tranny(that I know of , at least)

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn

I'm going to try using the original crossmember, since it will have three bolts on each side I think, which should be more stable, and the fact that my particular transmission didn't come with its own crossmember or mount either!

but you just need to make sure that the shifter thinks it is sorta both in park (so you can take the key out) and in neutral (so you can actually put power to the wheels manually). This is just a matter of crossing the right wires that used to go to the shifter.
Alex I wasn't to clear about the "Nuetral Safty Switch", while the release for the key takes a jumpered wire from the shifter harness(the 4 wire plug the last 2 need to be jumped), the "NSS" is the piece bolted onto the right side of the tranny and is one of the two wiring harness' coming from the tranny, I just removed mine from the auto tranny, pluged it back in and set it the nuetral position.
I plan on jumping the wires so I can remove the "NSS" but haven't yet, I also want to hook up the reverse light wires ( which I think are in the same harness).

Would like to take it to Caanan next weekend, but don't think my finaces could stand it right now!, that and I haven't driven it enough to trust it for a road trip yet.

Alex could you PM me with the web site that you got the driveshaft from? $150 sounds like a great deal

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.....I owe, I owe.........
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-17-2001, 11:31 AM

I don't know if anyone will even get to see this post, but here goes:
I was wondering what you did about axles? did you use the shaft and outer joint of the SVX and inner of a legacy or did you have to have fabricate halfshafts? I have two SVX driveshafts and they are both two pieces (I think) both are '91s and where they enter the carrier bearing, they seem to break. maybe not. Tell me what you think of that. Unfortunately they are 200+miles away and I can't inspect them to see if they're 2 pieces or not.
thanks,
chris
Old 10-17-2001, 01:00 PM

Very, Very Interesting

Hey you fellas'
This is getting to be really interesting, can't wait to hear the out come of all your tests. My question is, do you think the tranny from the 2.5 will handle the torque from the 3.3 engine? If the Legacy tranny turns out to be a better tranny, I think we'll see many more of these swaps. Keep us informed. Have fun!!
Huck, get your patent papers ready!$$$$ Your the Man!!

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by listed

I was wondering what you did about axles? did you use the shaft and outer joint of the SVX and inner of a legacy or did you have to have fabricate halfshafts?
thanks,
chris
Hey Chris,
I used the original SVX halfshafts front and rear, the rear will only work with a LSD rear diff, so you have to swap ring and pinion into you're orig. LSD rear diff.
The fronts hooked right up to the manual tranny.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-17-2001, 05:37 PM
One teal and One yellow

0-60 of SVX in 5 spd?

Huck,
So do you feel that your 5 spd SVX has a faster acceleration? Do you think that you will get a better maximum spd?

I love 5 spd a lot more than auto, but because of SVX I still bought it. I still like it. When could I go to kentucky to test drive your 5 spd SVX?

Hope your 5 spd going good. If you want to test drive to my area, west virginia. That's fine. Do you feel any difference in your horsepower and torque?

Nice day,

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-17-2001, 05:56 PM
I live in a drawer!

Hey Mr.Pwrlite, based on what I know, the transmission from the Impreza, Impreza 2.5 RS, Legacy, Legacy 2.5GT, and even the slightly older WRX are basically the same, although in the case of the WRX they might have different/closer gear ratios. They all appear to be interchangalbe in terms of replacement parts, and I'm hoping that all are roughly the same in terms of ruggedness.

It sounds as though these transmissions will work just fine up to 250 horsepower/foot pounds of torque, as long as one doesn't do anything too nuts like drop the clutch at 5000 rps. Of course, there are cases where people have destroyed things in just normal driving, but one man's driving is another's race I suppose. Additionally, the SVX weighs quite a bit more tahn any of these cars, but with a lighter tranny and other weight reductions this might not be too bad a situation. Plus, if there are transmission problems you can replace them cheaply (mine was shipped for $550 from Virginia). I figure once I get this project finished I'll buy another transmission just in case.

I just got my new (used) driveshaft, and it indeed comes in two parts which bolt together. I'm going to take it to a place in the area which extends such things. Even if they can't add some length to the part itself, at least it could be only half of a big piece of metal to have built, eh? Huck, I'll keep you posted on this. I'll see if I can get my friend's digital camera to get some snapshots.

Hey, anyone have any idea where one can have their car weighed?

Last edited by alex_umn; 10-17-2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:16 PM
I live in a drawer!

PS: http://www.maitreg.com/Cars/tools/sp...B1=Recalculate

This is a link to what the RPMs might look like at certain speeds, etc. Seems close to what Huck is seeing, and based on this I'd expect acceleration to be quite a bit better.

But we'll see what Huck thinks...heh
Old 10-17-2001, 07:56 PM

Hey SSSSVX, I'm a frosh here at WVU livin in the good old towers. I've seen a couple of SVXs in the area and was wondering which is yours? also if you need any parts, I'm your man.
chris
Old 10-17-2001, 08:07 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
You are close!

< I'm a frosh here at WVU livin in the good old towers>

Chris and SSSVX,
If you guys are in Morgantown, you are only about 45 miles from where we are meeting at Canaan Valley this weekend. Come join us and meet everyone! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 10-17-2001 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:40 PM

I'm going back to shepherdstown this weekend for the Ferrari club seminar, but am interested in the meet. My email is cowens5@wvu.edu if you'd like to give me the specifics (Canaan is a big area).
thanks
chris
Old 10-17-2001, 08:55 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Chris,
I just sent you an email with some details. Hope you can stop by! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-18-2001, 05:05 AM

Re: 0-60 of SVX in 5 spd?

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX
Huck,
So do you feel that your 5 spd SVX has a faster acceleration? Do you think that you will get a better maximum spd?

I love 5 spd a lot more than auto, but because of SVX I still bought it. I still like it. When could I go to kentucky to test drive your 5 spd SVX?

Hope your 5 spd going good. If you want to test drive to my area, west virginia. That's fine. Do you feel any difference in your horsepower and torque?

Nice day,
If you're over this way , just let me know and I'll let you take her for a spin.

AS for the 0-60, I haven't tryed for a good time yet, as I like to get some time in the seat, before doing something that might put it out of commision for awhile( after all I've had this car for over a year and it's only been on the road about 2 months of that! ), BUT it is DEFINITLY much better exceleration, I'm sure it's lost some top speed, but my days of 120 plus driving are behind me.

And although it probably won't go quite as fast top end, it will achieve it's top speed much quicker!

And Alex's link to the RPM-Speed looks to be pretty much dead on.

And you only need to add 2" to the front section of the drive shaft, I have a guy locally that will do it for $30.00 if you supply the tubing,(the rear section of the original driveshaft will work).

Mr.Pwrlite,
I'm sure these trannys will hold up better than an auto will, of course it's like anything, if you abuse it, it will finaly give up the goast, but even in race conditions, they should hold up better than an auto(look at Nascar, WRC, ect. NOBODY runs a auto in a race car).

Well gotta go to work,
Talk at ya later,
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-18-2001, 12:01 PM
suby_qa

"NOBODY runs a auto in a race car"

Drag racing they do. I once spoke with a drag racer (bracket, if I remember correctly - modified stock). I was totally surprised when he told me he had an auto in the car. Reason: he could run more consisitent times, which was the name of his game. He never blew any shifts which does occasionally occur with a manual.