SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2001, 12:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Manual Tranny ?

Did someone recently post here that they put a 5-speed in the SVX and that it was almost complete ? Or did I dream it?
If it is real, please, please please, post pictures.
Thanks.

Larry III
Old 10-11-2001, 12:53 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Manual Tranny ?

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Did someone recently post here that they put a 5-speed in the SVX and that it was almost complete ? Or did I dream it?
If it is real, please, please please, post pictures.
Thanks.

Larry III
Huck, my fellow Kentuckian, has just completed his 5-Speed swap. Hopefully, he'll have pics soon.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-11-2001, 02:43 PM
I look like Gordon

He has several pictures in his personal locker. Looks pretty cool to me. If I had more time, skill, huevos, and SVXes I would try it myself
Old 10-11-2001, 02:50 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Yep, it's real

Huck now has the world's only 5-speed SVX. I'm looking forward to seeing the wee beastie in person one of these days. Can't wait to have a chance to drive it.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Yep, it's real

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Huck now has the world's only 5-speed SVX. I'm looking forward to seeing the wee beastie in person one of these days. Can't wait to have a chance to drive it.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to *make* time to go up. I have a friend in Somerset whose schedule is booked for Oct, so, I can't kill two birds with one stone -- My November is booked, so -- I'll have to try to get there in Oct. I also wanna take a look at Huck's 94 L.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-11-2001, 05:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Huck,

I just looked at the pictures of your 5-speed.
Which 5-speed tranny did you use ?
Is the clutch actuation hydraukic or straight manual leg power?

Larry III
Old 10-11-2001, 05:47 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Huck,

I just looked at the pictures of your 5-speed.
Which 5-speed tranny did you use ?
Is the clutch actuation hydraukic or straight manual leg power?

Larry III
I used the tranny out of a 95 Impreza, which has a cable activated clutch, the cable is the way to go from a simplicity standpoint(I wanted as simple as possiable), in hindsight I'd have used a early Legacy Tranny(also cable activated) as it would have used the SVX starter(the Impreza has it's own starter, which I had to use).

It is equiped with 4.11 gears instead of the 3.54 of the SVX, much more power off the line! It now tachs about 3 grand at 60 mph.

I did it all by myself, for a total cost of about $900.00,(not counting the cost of the stiches nor my labor )it would have cost me that much to put a good used auto tranny in it, though it would have been MUCH easier.

The pics in my locker are from a couple weeks ago, I borrowed the Digital camera from work to take them, I'll try to get some more before long.

Still haven't driven it very much, still need to get it ligned up, and put my good tires back on it.

Will try to keep everyone informed,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Well, well, well....I've lived long enough to see another "aint no such critter" statement bite the dust. Turbo SVXs exist...now 5-speed SVXs exist....

....I gotta see Svxit's amphibious option package now!

(next thing you know, someone is gonna say that our cars have 4-wheel steering....nope, aint going there...neg-a-tory....aint lifting that rock..)
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-11-2001, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
wow... just wow. Hmmm.... okay, "a 6 speed twin turbo SVX doesn't exist"....

*waits in anticipation*

This is gonna be good.

-Szalk
Old 10-11-2001, 10:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Szalkerous
wow... just wow. Hmmm.... okay, "a 6 speed twin turbo SVX doesn't exist"....

*waits in anticipation*

This is gonna be good.

-Szalk
So what's the big deal? I got twin cupholders in the dash, an under-hood light & stereo controls on the steering wheel. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-11-2001, 10:48 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
I'm about halfway doing this project. I ended up finding a transmission from a 98 Legacy GT 2.5...I think this is exactly the same transmission from the Impreza series, so I too will needed a new starter. It's almost shocking how much smaller the new tranny is, since I can pick it up myself, as opposed to the auto unit which was just a pain.

As it stands, it took the longest to remove the torque converter (I eventually just cut the damn thing off!), and now I'm waiting on a flywheel that's been on order for a couple of weeks...grr. I'm thinking I might put an underdrive pulley in while I'm at it, but we'll see. This project is raipdly getting to cost more than the car itself did (I paid $2000 since it had a dead transmission), but hey, if it ends up being something like $4500 altogether it'll probably worth it.

Hey Huck, what did you end up doing about the rear diff and driveshaft? I've been spending most on my time trying to implement that fun hydraulic clutch INSIDE the cabin, so I've barely addressed some other things. I'm thinking that maybe a small shaft extender could be made to put between the current shaft and the shorter transmission, but I'm interested to know what you've done!

Damn, this isn't an easy project, I must say, but it's one that looks to be coming together. I wish I had a digital camera to document things, because this is obviously something people are at least interested in.

I have some picts of my transmission removal...that was another fun Sunday afternoon, let me tell ya! I'll try to post them tomorrow...
Old 10-12-2001, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn

Hey Huck, what did you end up doing about the rear diff and driveshaft? I've been spending most on my time trying to implement that fun hydraulic clutch INSIDE the cabin, so I've barely addressed some other things. I'm thinking that maybe a small shaft extender could be made to put between the current shaft and the shorter transmission, but I'm interested to know what you've done!
Alex,
I ended up making a 2"spacer to go between the rear diff and the drive shaft, had it machined, cost me $60.00, which also ment I had to move the carrier bearing 2" forward(made brackets at work, as I'm the structural draftsman at a steel fab. shop).
By the way I can send you drawings of these two pieces if you end up needing to do the same.

I got a rear diff with the same gears as the tranny and swapped the ring and pinion gears into the SVX's LSD rear diff housing.
(You have to use the LSD rear housing or get different axles)

I found out after the fack that there is 2 different driveshafts for the SVX, one(like mine)that is all 1 assembly that can't be dissasembled, and one that can be taken apart, this is the one you need, as it can be lengthened. I might even order one when I have a spare $400 bucks laying around, and get it lengthened the 2"

I'd say trying to hook up the hyd. clutch, you're starting to see why I wanted to go the Cable route. I don't know why people think the hyd. is better, I like the fact that you can "feel" the motor/tranny thriugh the cable clutch, something you can't do with a hyd. one, and no problems with air in the line, and replacing a cable is less than replacing either the master or the slave cylinder on a hyd. set-up.

OK...OK... I'm off my cable soapbox now, hope everything goes smooth for you,

15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-13-2001, 11:38 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
I just posted some picts in my personal locker of the removal task. This was a while ago...

After reading your post on Friday, I ordered a take-apartable driveshaft from a place I found through http://www.car-part.com. It was only like $150, and I figure lengthening it will not be too expensive.

I've had enough problems with a cable clutch on my 85 Volvo 740, so hopefully the hydraulic setup will work well once I get it installed. I think this is especially necessary, since I'm using a performance street clutch made by ACT. I jsut found out that the place I'm getting the JUN lightweight flywheel from (Cobb Tuning) probably won't get another shipment for another few weeks, so I'm going to try to get everything else ready before then. The rear differential should be the next major thing after the pedals I think.

Hey, any diagrams you might have would be excellent! I'm especially interested in the support you made for the back of the transmission itself...I just bolted the new one in so I could start taking measurements and figure out what is needed. Now I just need ti find a good metal fab shop in the area...

Time for bed...
Old 10-14-2001, 03:13 AM
suby_qa

"It is equiped with 4.11 gears instead of the 3.54 of the SVX"

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

I used the tranny out of a 95 Impreza, which has a cable activated clutch, the cable is the way to go from a simplicity standpoint(I wanted as simple as possiable), in hindsight I'd have used a early Legacy Tranny(also cable activated) as it would have used the SVX starter(the Impreza has it's own starter, which I had to use).

It is equiped with 4.11 gears instead of the 3.54 of the SVX, much more power off the line! It now tachs about 3 grand at 60 mph.

I did it all by myself, for a total cost of about $900.00,(not counting the cost of the stiches nor my labor )it would have cost me that much to put a good used auto tranny in it, though it would have been MUCH easier.

The pics in my locker are from a couple weeks ago, I borrowed the Digital camera from work to take them, I'll try to get some more before long.

Still haven't driven it very much, still need to get it ligned up, and put my good tires back on it.

Will try to keep everyone informed,
So, are you saying, you changed out the rear axle diff as well?

Never mind, you just answered my question.

Last edited by suby_qa; 10-14-2001 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2001, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn
Hey, any diagrams you might have would be excellent! I'm especially interested in the support you made for the back of the transmission itself......

Alex,
I didn't make any drawings of the supports That I made for the rear of the tranny, what I did was use 2 pieces of 3-1/2"x 6"x 5/16" angle about 14" long, one on each side, drilled two holes to match the original crossmember hole locatations(the inner two on each side), Then I used the Impreza crossmember and tranny mount, as they were on the tranny, drilled two more holes on each piece of angle where the Impreza CM went.
You can see it here
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/huck369/1014.jpg
There are a couple bolts out when I took this pic, but you'll get the jest of it.
This seams to be working fine, but later I may design a mount to use the original crossmember, as it would look more "factory"

Got it ligned up yesterday, and put my good tires back on it, drives sooooo much better, on a down note, the cruise dosen't work now as it thinks the car is in nuetral and won't engage the cruise control system, I guess thats another bug to work out

Keep me up to date on your progress.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed