SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
The Croupier

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Hope you don't mind too much, but can I toss out another tire for consideration? Not exactly moving towards consensus, but since when does this group ever reach a consensus, especially on nwsvx meeting dates? :-) Anyhow, I think another tire worth considering is the new Toyo Proxes 4. Its all season ultra high performance, and its priced competitively with others. There are only a handful of reviews on the internet, but the ones I've read praise it highly for dry traction.

I recantly had the Toyo Proxes FZ-4 put on all around & I have to say they are Just Amazing tires.
The handling of my SVX went from remarkable to Freaking Incredable On dry pavement of course but In the rain & Snow they allmost inspire overconfedance . & the sound well........ Hear that ????????? Hear what ????????? RIGHT !!!!!!!!
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 01-16-2004, 08:46 PM
mark10t

<<the tires I replaced were about 2/3 worn and by original I meant Potenza but was unsure of the RE designation..is it RE 950, 930, 720?

no snow in Minnesota? thought you usually get lots of snow there? global warming?>>

I seem to recall that the stock OEM tire for the SVX was an RE92. The point was- even if you don't wear them out (think Michelin, i.e.), that tires definitely go 'bad' with time. You don't want to be driving around on 6 year old tires.....

We got some snow early on this season, but a couple of warm spells have melted everything we had. It's cold enough- we've got about 12"+ of ice on the lake (I'm about ready to check out the ABS and the AWD on the lake soon enough. The ice fishermen are out in their pickup trucks.....

When I buy a dedicated 'winter' tire, my priority would be on ice traction and then snow traction. When I buy a 'summer' tire, my priority is for wet traction with dry traction a secondary issue. (also- noise is a serious consideration with a car as inherently quiet as our SVX's)

My perspective is that you are going to find the 'wet' limits a whole lot sooner than you'll find the 'dry' limits (i.e. summer) during normal daily driving conditions. Same for ice vs. snow (vs. wet/dry) in the winter.

Obviously my priorities would be different if I were looking at autocrossing the SVX, but the 'heft' of the SVX doesn't lend itself towards such activities. Now, if I could afford the expense and time, a nice WRX Sti would be nice......

My 2 cents.

-Mark
Old 01-20-2004, 07:38 AM
96svxer

Running the Conti-extreames too. Very impressed in the snow, pretty good during the summer too, and for the price, I am very pleased. Would definantly buy again.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
The only thing that disappointed me about the Conti Extreme Contact tires is the fact that I could not get a pair in time before my old tires finally wore out. I replaced the old Yoko AVS dBs with new Yoko AVS dB S2s. I had the Contis on back order with Tire Rack from mid July '03 and by late November I absolutely needed new tires. I even called Continental USA once aweek from Sept. on. Those people didn't know "which end is up".
Continental may know how to make very good tires at a great price but they sure don't know beans about marketing or customer service.
Why am I not surprised...I have an SVX.
If I wanted easy, I would drive a Chevy.
I was in the same situation. And bought the same tires that Larry did. They are scary quiet, and I very pleased with traction they have in the little bit of snow that we have had here in NJ. Let me just put it this way. I still dont shovel my driveway And my driveway probably has about a 3-8 degree incline
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Porter

Top three Bang-For-The-Buck all-season tires:

Continental ContiExtremeContact
Bridgestone Potenza RE950
Toyo Proxes4

And the #1 most aggressive sport all-season of them all (I have a set on order)...

Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S

Too bad they don't make them in 16"... mine will be 225/45ZR17. They don't have anywhere near the snow grip of the Contis but hey, I live in Atlanta.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Hater

i'm getting some ContiExtremeContacts very soon for the WRX - the stock RE92's are just AWFUL.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-20-2004, 01:29 PM
I look like Gordon

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i'm getting some ContiExtremeContacts very soon for the WRX - the stock RE92's are just AWFUL.
I second that. The RE92s are easily the worst tire I have ever driven on. They suck in pretty much every way a tire can suck. I think they are actually made out of butter.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i hope i only can get one more summer out of the RE92s from the polo green. unless someone knows a way to progress the dry rot that is starting.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
Top three Bang-For-The-Buck all-season tires:

Continental ContiExtremeContact
Bridgestone Potenza RE950
Toyo Proxes4
I have been very unhappy with the perfomance of my Toyo Proxes. The traction on wet surfaces is marginal at best. I've had 2 near head-on accidents when the tires lost their grip.

I hope to replace them before summer.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM
The Croupier

Harold, do you have the FZ-4 's ? Those are the ones I got & I have found them Amazing in the rain ( & SNOW )..
but sorry to hear you're not happy with them..
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 01-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Hater

i checked Tire Rack a couple days ago and the ContiExtremeContacts were $83. i checked tonight and they were $75.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-20-2004, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
Harold, do you have the FZ-4 's ? Those are the ones I got & I have found them Amazing in the rain ( & SNOW )..
but sorry to hear you're not happy with them..
Allen, I checked tonight and I don't have the Proxes4, just Proxes.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The best bang for the buck tires on my SVX were the Toyo Proxes T-1S tires. These are basically summer racing tires for the street.
The grip on dry and wet (rain) was incredible They were poor to so-so in light snow. If you ever got an SVX airborne and turned the steering wheel I believe they would still make the car turn with no fuss. The grip and adhesion were that fantastic. Their corning grip is far beyond the Yoko AVS dB S-2's now on the car. The downside of the Toyo Proxes T-1S tires is; they are expensive, noisy, & wear out quick (~ 22,000 miles).

But if "bang for the buck" is defined by cornering grip, then these are the real winners.

It's like the difference between dring an SVX all out thru a tight turn, then driving a Prosche 911 all out thru the same turn.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by manofmayo

Allen, I checked tonight and I don't have the Proxes4, just Proxes.
Proxes FZ4 and Proxes4 are two totally different tires!!

The FZ4 was their last generation semi-sporty all-season tire. It was fairly grippy when new but turned into a brick once heat cycled... not a great tire for sport driving, though it did ok as a compromise all-season.

The Proxes4 is their new ultra-high-performance all-season brought out to compete with the Conti and the Pirellis. It's a completely new design and much better than the previous attempts from Toyo. It's a legitimate sport tire carcass (based on the T1-S) with an all-season tread compound and an all weather sport tread pattern.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:30 PM
MikeInd

Conti Extreme Contacts

hey all,

these are GREAT tires. I bought some in Seattle for my old MX6...wow they are great. I am in Indiana now and they work wonderfull in the snow and on the ice in my MX6...that I just sold.

I pick up my SVX tomorrow in Chicago...and I will have it fitted with this tire when I get it.

I can't say enough about these tires...

later, Mike