Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I'll also recommend the COOL BLUES. They're much cheaper than Silverstars, offer MORE light output than stock, and look great.

Try them. You won't be dissapointed.

Plus with the money you'll save you can get something else cool.

- Rob
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Jimsbaby

i switched

i too was an ebay buyer thought oh blue lights sweet then they sucked so then i switched to the cool blues and for the money they work better than any ebay light i ever got aka got 3 different pairs till that sell just gave me my money back and said please go find your own this is all i have available...lol if you go cool blues you be happier than with that actually use of your headlights might not look as cool but you gotta see!!

Jim
Old 12-16-2003, 11:48 PM
DearPrudence

So many headlight options, so few expletives.

So now it's between the cool blues & the silverstars. I'll have to kick it around for a while. I've learned my lesson when it comes to buying cheesy car crap off of eBay, I promise.

The purples are perhaps a tad impractical but they are pretty. You know how we girls are about impractical, pretty things
Old 12-16-2003, 11:51 PM
DearPrudence

[quote]Plus with the money you'll save you can get something else cool. [quote]

ooh, yeah, like LEDs for my valve caps.... sweeeeeeeeet

I'm KIDDING!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Breck SVX

I put on APC 'hyperwhite' (which somehow translates into blue, of which i'm not a big fan...anyway)80W bulbs at NAPA. They were really inexpensive and are definetly brighter than stock bulbs and the car hasn't caught fire yet or melted yet. APC offers an upgrade wiring harness for 40 dollars which i'm you could possibly get at NAPA or for sure at jegs.com or summitracing.com

-Alex
Old 12-17-2003, 02:22 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence

tricky tricky....

OR! I could really be a rebel and leave my HBs on all the time
like 90% of the rest of the @sses on the street here in Utah...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I got my upgrade wiring harness from ebay for about $36.00
Old 12-17-2003, 07:58 AM
crow_road75

HIDs

Has anyone tried a full upgrade to HIDs?

Been mulling over the idea for my baby... Oh, and at least be glad that the US spec cars came with front fogs - they were an option on the UK spec (and the previous owner of mine didn't tick the box...)

Jason
--

'94 Black UK spec SVX
'00 Black cat called 'Pixel'
Old 12-17-2003, 08:08 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: HIDs

Quote:
Originally posted by crow_road75
Has anyone tried a full upgrade to HIDs?

Been mulling over the idea for my baby... Oh, and at least be glad that the US spec cars came with front fogs - they were an option on the UK spec (and the previous owner of mine didn't tick the box...)

Jason
--

'94 Black UK spec SVX
'00 Black cat called 'Pixel'

Do a quick serarch There are a few here that runs on HIDs
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:02 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I'm gonna have to go with Pockets and recomend switching to 9005 bulbs. After about 15 mins with a Dremel my lights are brighter than ever. I was using 9006 GE Xenon 55W bulbs (got them for $10/pr clearance at Wal-Mart) that were much brighter and whiter than the original Sylvania bulbs (They claim 1090 vs 980 lumen and 3170K vs 3070K white light, I believe both) . The new bulbs are 9005 P.I.A.A. 60W (claim they perform like 110W, but they don't) platinum super whites (clearance $20/pr at Tweeter audio & video). Now my lights have the almost brightness of H.I.D., but give off a perfect white light. Overall very happy

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 AM
mark10t

I blew another low-beam bulb recently and decided to try the Sylvania SilverStars. They're not as bright as I had hoped for, but I really like the 'color'- very white. Certainly as bright as anything else I've probably tried. I have used the Sylvania Cool Blue's before.

I got mine packaged as a pair at WalMart- about $35.00 for the pair- not a bad price.

I might try modifying a pair of 9005's for a few more watts.

-Mark
Old 12-17-2003, 11:34 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
The difference isn't really just the wattage of the bulb, you can get 9006 bulbs that go up to like 100W. The difference is the bulb itself is bigger, giving off a brighter light. The 9005 bulbs also do not have the little cap on the end like the 9006 bulbs do. You could sand off the caps for more light as well, although I did not notice much of a difference when I did this myself.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
The difference isn't really just the wattage of the bulb, you can get 9006 bulbs that go up to like 100W. The difference is the bulb itself is bigger, giving off a brighter light. The 9005 bulbs also do not have the little cap on the end like the 9006 bulbs do. You could sand off the caps for more light as well, although I did not notice much of a difference when I did this myself.
The reflective material on the end of the bulb is designed to prevent misdirected light (blinding oncoming drivers). The only path for light is against the reflector and through the lens at precisely calculated angles.

A 9005 does not have the filament in the same place so the angles that the light contacts the reflector and is sent through the lens are screwed up, spreading the light further in all directions than it should and that is why it appears brighter.

The are three ways to improve your light output excluding HID upgrade which is a whole different can of worms for another discussion.

Upgrade the ten year old headlight harness with a heavy duty one to reduce resistance in the circuit.
The higher the harness resistance, the less voltage is delivered to the headlights.

Clean the lens, reflector and housing to restore the original performance of the optics.
Typical automotive optics only achieve 40% of the original performance after 100,000 miles. Therefore a bulb that is 50% better than stock in an old headlamp housing will still be only 60% of original OEM performance with original optics.

Upgrade to a bulb with better luminance, not just higher lumens or watts.
Brighter is not strictly a measurement of power usage and color. It is mostly affected by manufacturing tolerances and quality of materials like the glass and filimant.
Here is a list of performance bulbs rated by luminance over stock.
+50%: Philips Vision Plus
+30%: Philips Premium, Osram Silverstar (European marked only - see note below)
+20%: Osram/Sylvania Xtra Vision, Osram/Sylvania Silverstar (North american marked only - see note below)
+0%: Philips Bluevison, Osram/Sylvania Cool Blue, Osram/Sylvania Halogen Plus, and OEM bulbs like GE.
-10%: PIAA Superwite

Silverstar Note: Do not confuse the European (clear glass) Silverstar with the North american (slightly blue tinted) Silverstar. The blue tint blocks light!

Hope this helps shed some light on the issue (pun intended).

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 12-17-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I put in silverstars on the low beams this fall and one has already blown out. I like the color of the light from them, they seem brighter but in the rain Im not sure that they are.

After putting in a std halogen on the other side with the remaining silverstar still in I think I get more useable light from a regular bulb - but the light 'seems' brighter from the silverstar.

I havent heard of anyone else having them blowout quickly so it may have just been my bad luck.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:36 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I hear silverstars dont last that long. I think the next bulbs I'll try will be the xtravisions.

As of now I'm very happy with light output and it really does seem like I have HID's... not by the color but by the amount of light its putting out.
2012 Camry V6 SE