SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-29-2003, 06:24 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
If you really want a solid quick source for STi drivetrain pieces talk to either Adam at Z1 Performance or the folks at Rallispec in NJ. Both should be able to set you up expediently.

http://www.z1auto.com

http://www.rallispec.com
If I weren't going to Japan, that's what I would have done, but since I'm in Japan, and I can get the parts for less in Japan that what Rallispec and Z1 sell them for, I'm getting them while I'm in Japan.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:16 PM
sans SVX

I got a rough price on the STi RA v.5/6 gearset. The parts to convert a late model '99+ WRX 1st-4th gears to the STi gears is about $900. Then you have to pay someone to assemble it, but even with the assembly cost, its far cheaper than what you can get from Rallispec. If anyone a gearset, let me know asap.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
What is the difference in the 1st-4th STi gears? You tempt me with such things at such a bad time (Christmas and all). Is that diff. worth the money, I mean does the USDM WRX diff. need the added strength the STi offers? Does it change the power split f/r ratio?

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 AM
sans SVX

The STi RA gears are stronger. 1st gear is physically a little wider (1 mm), and all the gears have a deeper root depth which gives more gear-to-gear contact area. These are the gears that are used in the JDM 280 HP 5-speed gearbox. With that said, the STi gears can easily be broken by abusing the tranny in the typical ways that people do (dropping the clutch, forcing the car into gear). It just takes a little more to do it with the STi gears. I think that for a stock SVX, the STi gears provide an extra safety margin against gear failure for the torque the SVX produces. The STi 2nd-4th gears are slightly lower ratio too, so they will probably slightly improve 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I'm keeping stock 5th gear because it doesn't fail, and I want to keep the highway rpms at normal levels.

I have been told by several people that the standard WRX center diff is just barely limited slip. Its almost about the same as an open diff. The STi 20 kg/100 rpm unit provides a much stronger front/rear coupling when either end starts to break loose. It has no effect on the torque split when the tires are not slipping, so if you never break the tires loose in a corner, you don't need it. However, if you like to push your car to the limits in the corners, the STi center diff will help to better re-distribute the power between the front and rear wheels when either end starts to break loose. So what it will do is make the car more neutral at the limit in the corners.

Visit my locker

Old 12-02-2003, 09:34 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
what differential did the svx come with stock? ehh sorry i shouldnt ask cuz we dont know!
phil
Old 12-02-2003, 04:06 PM
sans SVX

Do you mean the center diff on the SVX 4eat?

Visit my locker