How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-29-2003, 12:51 PM
ww111

Flare, Resistor and other wierdness

So to cure the flare I disconected the Resistor. Hard shift, but no flare. a band-aid fix. There is a bigger problem.

I'm on the highway @ 65-70 MPH and bump the shifter down to 3rd from drive. NO engine braking at all, Squat, nuthin. As a matter of fact the engine is at 850 rpm at 65 MPH in 3rd. Back to drive and it catches again. I have engine braking in 1, 2, and Drive but it's like the tranny disengages in 3rd (for engine braking). Hook the resistor back up, (flare comes back) and so does the engine braking in 3rd. Does this resistor do more than I'm thinking? Has anyone else had this symptom?

to clarify, I still have forward power in 3rd, as normal. but when I let off the gas the engine drops to idle, at any speed.

I am adjusting the band tomorrow. 7mmm and 17mm in hand.

Collins
Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 PM
alacrity024

collin-

i too have a 7&17 in hand, waiting for the car to get back from inspection so that i can tackle this adjustment. i CANNOT FIND the adjuster screw though. it is said to be on the left side of the transmission (which would be the right side when you're standing in front of the headlights looking at the engine) but i can't for the life of me figure out where the hell the adjuster IS!!

i'm thinking i might need to get underneath the vehicle, although Nick (aka mr. pockets) recently related a story of laying across the engine to get at the screw....

wish me luck, and i'll do the same to you.

-adam
Old 08-29-2003, 02:47 PM
ww111

FOUNDED IT!!! (Photos)

I've got the manual in front of me (waiting for the motor (et al) to cool) and it looks like it's on the left front side of the tranny.

Jeeze what a beast to find. I threw together a jpg. Definitely a job from the top

The 17mm nut is circled

Collins 92 pearlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandadjuster.jpg (30.1 KB, 390 views)
Old 08-29-2003, 02:50 PM
ww111

A better image showing scale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandadjuster2.jpg (47.7 KB, 373 views)
Old 08-29-2003, 03:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Ah, I can see the problem, your master cylinder is on the wrong side and making the access even harder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-29-2003, 03:37 PM
alacrity024

how the HELL are you fitting a wrench in there?! i'm trying my damndest right now to no avail........

call my cellphone if you feel like providing some words of encouragement.. 603.209.2622

-adam
Old 08-29-2003, 04:57 PM
alacrity024

i give up.

i can't BUDGE the locking nut, and 6 of my knuckles are either bleeding or skinned. i'm gonna pay the dealer $120 to do it

-adam
Old 08-29-2003, 05:01 PM
ww111

I've got a grinder and a welder AND a couple of 17mm wrenches ready to give their lives for the cause...

If I get it done I'll send you the tool. There's a t-storm going on right now so I'll try on Sunday and report on the level of sucess.

Anybody familiar with the 3rd gear no engine braking??? (1st post in the thread)

Collins
Old 08-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Unplugging the resistor will cause the loss of engine braking in 3rd and also a hunting for gears on deceleration. Small car's shift kit should give you enough line pressure to get rid of the flare but will not cause the loss of engine braking or hunting for gears.

I have adjusted the brake band. It is hard to get a wrench in there - you have to do it only by feel, but it can be done.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:10 PM
ww111

Talking Done!

Once the TB Cover is off all you need is a full size Craftsman 17mm combo wrench and a 7mm Combo wrench (ingnition wrench) and a 12" Piece of safety wire. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!! The 17mm wrench WILL hit the starter and spark n arc. Once the 17mm nut is loose, Tighten (or loosen the band adjuster. I wrapped the safety wire around the little wrench so I could fish it into place (and not drop the wrench) it worked like a champ. I'm going to tighten it another 1/2 turn tomorrow. I was also told there is no adjustment on this tranny by the dealer and by the tranny shop. No wonder it only lasted a year. Now, go do it!

Collins

Also, What fixed your RT FR. ABS Problem?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:11 PM
ww111

OMT

On the 17mm nut, Use the BOX end!

OK, now I'm done
Old 08-29-2003, 06:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
MY SVX did the same thing with the resistor removed.. I liked driving in 3rd, so I left the resistor alone..

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 08-29-2003, 08:12 PM
ww111

Small car resistor kit on order.
Test drive resulted in 2 or 3 flairs, out of 20 shifts. I'm going to give it another turn in the AM.

Collins
Old 08-29-2003, 10:52 PM
alacrity024

collins-

congrats. hope the shifts firm back up for you.

i've experienced the "no engine braking thing" and i even posted about it quite awhile back.. it wasn't a very noticable thing.. seemed to just drop the revs to ~750 when going downhill in 3rd.. i didn't think much of it..

i'm pretty pissed that you had such an easy time of this.. i spent an hour and a half with the intake tubing removed (the bigass rubber thing that goes from the MAF to the throttle bodies) and STILL couldn't get a good grip on the sucker.. i could only seem to come in at an angle with my box wrench, so it wasn't gripping it at all.. good call on the safety wire for the 7mm..

and a new sensor was all i needed for the ABS.

-adam
Old 09-02-2003, 09:53 AM
ww111

Well the flare is still here. I'm still troubleshooting, but to throw in some true wierdness...

It flares about 10% of all shifts. But ALWAYS while turning to the left from a complete stop at very small throttle openings.

I'm as lost as lost can be. No indicated problems with the tranny diagnostics. just the flare.

Collins

ABS Sensor on order...