Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: i had a sneaky suspicion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Does anyone here know if by doing the alternator mod whould it void any warranty on the alternator. Common sense tells me it would.
It will not void your warranty at all. You are just adding wires to make up for the deficiencies in our aging wires. You are not replacing any wires or altering the circuit.

Maniac Electric Motors, makers of the regular and high-output alternators for the SVX, actually encourage the alternator wiring modification.

They offer two year warranties on their regular 95A units and one year on their 160A high-output units, with optional lifetime warranty. If the mod would hurt the alternator, they wouldnt do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
One last question I have for anyone willing to answer...of the 3 wires involved in the alternator mod, which one would be the most important?
All three wires are equally important.

The POS wire that runs from the alternator to the battery carries the charging current.

The NEG wire that goes from the battery to ground is just as important. Why would you use a 4 gauge POS wire and a 10 gauge factory ground wire to complete the circuit?

The last NEG wire, from engine to frame geound in essence makes the wire that goes from the engine to the firewall obsolete.

I have developed a new wiring modification for the SVX. Maniac Electric Motors was so impressed with it that they are using it on their website.

If you add larger wires to your existing circuit, the current will always follow the path of least resistance (not flow through the original smaller wires. So why lleave them in the circuit?)

It even received the blessing from the Technical Analysis and Performance Department of Subaru of America.

Part of their email reply:

"John,

We have looked over the original factory Power Supply Routing wiring schematic you provided us, your proposed modifications to the existing circuitry and the upgraded alternator charging wire with great interest. Everything seems to be in order and we don't see the need for any changes from the way you have it currently configured. Simply said: Don't change anything!

The two wires that you shortened were originally joined at the alternator post, all that had to be done was to remove them from the alternator post, shorten them and connect them together. This restores the original circuitry and its inherent safety elements, but excludes the original alternator output, which now has its own dedicated, fused line to the battery...

...We feel that this is going to be a most useful modification for your cars, and significantly improves upon the original design. More importantly, it is doing something very beneficial for most SVX owners. We commend you for being able to see "outside the box" and come up with a simple solution for a problem that seems to have plagued these cars for many years.

Implementing this modification is easy, safe and removes and isolates the alternator output from the rest of the electrical system. As it seems that the voltage regulator within the alternator is the weak link and is most prone to go bad, most would want to guard against it. This does exactly that."

Good wiring will make an average alternator operate more efficiently. It is absolutely vital for a high-output unit. larger wires have less resistance. Less resistance means less heat and better current flow. Tha alternator will not have to work as hard to send current to the battery.

Ever try to drink a thick milkshake through a thin soda straw? It takes a lot more effort and gives you a lot less than if you used a larger straw in the firest place.

A better example showing that the larger the cable, within reason, the less the resistance.

If you don't think this is true, try jump-starting a car with a set of cheap 14 ga. jumper cables. With the thinner wires, internal resistance to current flow cause them to heat up more quickly— and that is where your current is lost. A heavier set of wires won't have the same resistance and heat up much more slowly, allowing maximum current transfer to the other car.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-02-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: things are lit up like a xmas tree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
I remember back in the day on *gasps* Yahoo that the Electric God in the North knew of a place that would rebuild alternators to make them better and have more output.
And that place is Dallas, Texas

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: things are lit up like a xmas tree...

David,

Also read this article I put together called Alternator 101