Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 AM

Doug,
You are 100% right that is why I did it that way instead of as Harvey Suggested. I like you image it is very well done.
Tony
Old 09-01-2005, 06:26 AM

I had they bearings replaced recently ,both front and rear with NTN bearings and boy it's nice and quiet now !! I hope they put them in right!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Doug,
You are 100% right that is why I did it that way instead of as Harvey Suggested. I like you image it is very well done.
Tony
I'm not saying I'm right, just is that this is what my education leads me to believe.

Thanks. I need to do something while at work

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Re: Rear wheel bearing fix

Any updates on this tired old thread? I'm looking to replace my noisy bearings next month and this mod looks like just the ticket. I guess if they've survived 5 years on Tony's car that'd be all the endorsement I'd need. Who all has done this, and what were your experiences?
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 PM

Registered SVX

Yeah, how those bearings holdin' up over there?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svxred View Post
I had they bearings replaced recently ,both front and rear with NTN bearings and boy it's nice and quiet now !! I hope they put them in right!
Nice! I am trying to do the same... Is the part # replacement for the front set the same as the rear? I have the rear set w/o spacers (which I need to procure) and now need the front set (w/ spacers too if needed). Seems like the thread talks more about the rear wheel bearings and not much about the front set. btw how are the replacement bearings holding up on your ride?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92SVXowner View Post
Nice! I am trying to do the same... Is the part # replacement for the front set the same as the rear? I have the rear set w/o spacers (which I need to procure) and now need the front set (w/ spacers too if needed). Seems like the thread talks more about the rear wheel bearings and not much about the front set. btw how are the replacement bearings holding up on your ride?
You need to read this a little closer. The originator of this
thread is using a non-standard, albeit stronger bearing than the stock SVX. HOWEVER, he had to fabricate spacers to make it work as they are NOT available for purchase anyplace.

The other thread you are posting in is talking only about OEM stock bearings or exact matches from NTN or TIMKEN. Nearly all of us use the stock size bearings of one brand or another.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM

Red face Re: Rear wheel bearing fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
NTN is a major Japanese bearing maker the same as SKF. Your current SVX bearings are made by NTN. I will attempt to get the mesurement of the bushes for you.
Tony
Hey man, Ive been doing quite a bit of reading on a lot of the threads about wheel bearings and I liked the mod you did to your ride. Kinda makes sense to replace the OEM wheel bearings with a set that has a higher load rating. I found these bearings to do the mob on my car for like $36 each, but I'm stumped on the spacers/bushs you added on your mod to make it work. Cannot find them anywhere.... You got any tips as to where I might find those? Or should I not bother with the mod due to unavailability of the sapcers and just go with a new set of the OEM wheel bearings? THX!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Hey man, Ive been doing quite a bit of reading on a lot of the threads about wheel bearings and I liked the mod you did to your ride. Kinda makes sense to replace the OEM wheel bearings with a set that has a higher load rating. I found these bearings to do the mob on my car for like $36 each, but I'm stumped on the spacers/bushs you added on your mod to make it work. Cannot find them anywhere.... You got any tips as to where I might find those? Or should I not bother with the mod due to unavailability of the sapcers and just go with a new set of the OEM wheel bearings? THX!
You obviously didn't read my post immediately before your post OR the whole thread. Dessertrunner fabricated the spacers that he needed for the bearing he chose to use. The spacers are NOT available anyplace other than by fabrication (machining in case you don't know what that entails)!!!

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I was wondering this as well. If someone were to fabricate the spacers necessary to use these, they could make a small bundle.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Red face Re: Rear wheel bearing fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Michael,
The part number is a NTN bearing number. Sorry should have explained.
Tony
Hey Tony, Ive been doing quite a bit of reading on a lot of the threads about wheel bearings and I liked the mod you did to your ride. Kinda makes sense to replace the OEM wheel bearings with a set that has a higher load rating. I found these 08A01 bearings to do the mod on my car for like $36 each, but I'm stumped on the spacers/bushs you added on your mod to make it work. Cannot find them anywhere.... You got any tips as to where I might find those (spacers/bushs)? Or should I not bother with the mod due to unavailability of the sapcers and just go with a new set of the OEM wheel bearings? THX!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rear wheel bearing fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
You obviously didn't read my post immediately before your post OR the whole thread. Dessertrunner fabricated the spacers that he needed for the bearing he chose to use. The spacers are NOT available anyplace other than by fabrication (machining in case you don't know what that entails)!!!
Lee
o really? i think i missed that part of the thread... can you machine anything? I am merely trying to find a solution here not problems.... God knows I already got enough of those...