Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2009, 10:38 AM

Registered SVX
auto dim mirror

Hello,
I was considering buying an auto dimming mirror with built in homelink and putting it in my svx, and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with this? I imagine the ball and socket size is pretty standard, and that I could put the mirror on with relative ease. Wiring up power to that would not be that hard as well. Could be a very nice mod if I can get it to work. Does anyone know which subaru's would have this type of mirror? I have seen them on newer outbacks, and legacys, but is this a standard feature? Does anyone happen to know the ball diameter, or should I just take mine apart?
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: auto dim mirror

My grandmother has one in her 2003 outback.. or maybe 2004.. Anyway, it's not all that helpful and I really didn't like the looks of it at all. You could always get tint but I supposed if your not into tint then the mirrior is the way to go
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Easy to do.
Subaru has a kit for the forester to replace the cheap one that is not auto dim for one that comes on new cars..
That is what I did and it will glue on the windshield. Can be done to look like a factory job!

I really enjoy having mine dim. The compass is nice to have as well. It actually all works great.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 01-27-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Easy to do.
Subaru has a kit for the forester to replace the cheap one that is not auto dim for one that comes on new cars..
That is what I did and it will glue on the windshield. Can be done to look like a factory job!

I really enjoy having mine dim. The compass is nice to have as well. It actually all works great.

Keith
Lucky.. My grandmother went back twice and hers just wouldn't work correctly..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-27-2009, 02:46 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Easy to do.

Keith
I did the same thing, except the mirror was too wide to fit between the visors! I used it anyway and just angled it so the driver's visor worked but the passenger one didn't. That lasted until my windshield cracked and when I got the replacement glass, I didn't bother to reinstall the mirror and just put the stock one back.

I'd really like a narrower 9" wide homelink mirror that will attach to the stock off-glass mount. Anyone know where to get one? I know Donnelley makes a 9" mirror, but good luck finding anyone that sells it!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I had one in my Grand Prix and it worked and helped a lot. I would like to do this to mine at some point as well but would like to utilize the way the factory rear view mirror is, that is not gluing one to the windshield.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I did the same thing, except the mirror was too wide to fit between the visors! I used it anyway and just angled it so the driver's visor worked but the passenger one didn't. That lasted until my windshield cracked and when I got the replacement glass, I didn't bother to reinstall the mirror and just put the stock one back.

I'd really like a narrower 9" wide homelink mirror that will attach to the stock off-glass mount. Anyone know where to get one? I know Donnelley makes a 9" mirror, but good luck finding anyone that sells it!
place it just a tad lower, it goes farther away, and it works like a champ

Keith
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
place it just a tad lower, it goes farther away, and it works like a champ

Keith
As it was, it was already so low it blocked my view of cars to the right at a 4-way stop! (I'm 6'4"... I basically never need the sun visor in my SVX, and I have to bend down to see when the light turns green if I'm 1st in line at the light.)
Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Registered SVX

I am gonna go to the junkyard, and get a mirror, and try to put it on the stock mount, I will update this with results when I can
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
As it was, it was already so low it blocked my view of cars to the right at a 4-way stop! (I'm 6'4"... I basically never need the sun visor in my SVX, and I have to bend down to see when the light turns green if I'm 1st in line at the light.)
Good! Then the sun visors are irreverent since you never need to turn them down!
Glue that nice dimming mirror high!!!

Keith

I just reread your post and can't come up with any idea on how your mirror in the center of your windshield could possibly block your view to the right at a 4 way stop. Where on earth is your head?

Could maybe we get a picture of that???

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 01-27-2009 at 11:25 PM.