Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
What are symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

What are symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

and is there a how to on replacement?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: What are symptoms of a bad fuel pump?

Symptoms may be different due to there being a certain part that may fail as where the others may not. The little motor in mine is starting to go, therefore, when I turn the car on, but not the engine, I can hear my fuel pump gurgle like it's filled with milkshake.. Not sure what repercussions it's having on my vehicle but it's next on my list to replace. You can get a high performance on from ebay..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 AM

In my singular experience with fuel pump failure (not in an SVX but an '86 Suby wagon) things get quiet real quick like, then you walk.

If my cars are any indicator, a gurgling sound from the tank isn't unusual.

dcb
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 AM

i think my fuel pump is having issues. I do hear some type of gurggling sound when trying to start the car. Do you have a link for the ebay item?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX

my car seemed like it had a major power loss...that it didn't really want to go. no get go ~
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXgarcia View Post
I do hear some type of gurggling sound when trying to start the car.
Again, this is normal.

dcb
Old 01-05-2009, 06:19 AM

so, car doesn't start now. car used to start normal. Then it would take a few cranks then start. Now it doesn't start all I hear is the gurgling sound. Battery voltage is good, starter was replaced less then a year ago. How can I troubleshoot the fuel pump?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
so, car doesn't start now. car used to start normal. Then it would take a few cranks then start. Now it doesn't start all I hear is the gurgling sound. Battery voltage is good, starter was replaced less then a year ago. How can I troubleshoot the fuel pump?
Sorry for the lapse in responces.. I don't really get online on the weekends.. I don't have a link to that particular item, but I know the brand is called "Walbro." OT says it's ok and I trust him. You could give it a shot..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Hi Garcia

It sounds like your fuel pump has gone wallop. Assuming this is correct your car will not start because there is no pressure to the injectors.

Before you buy anything you can check it out by checking whether you have no fuel delivered at the fuel filter under the hood. The fuel filter is beside the fuses on the left side [looking forward] of the engine bay. You will find a rubber hose feeding into the filter, and another feeding out towards the injectors. You can disconnect either of these lines, probably the feed in line would be good. Feed the line into a bottle or something. You don't want to spray petrol all over your engine bay, it makes a mess and is not too safe.

With the feed line fed into a bottle or jar to collect the fuel, get someone to crank over your engine for a few turns. If no fuel is delivering your pump is toast. [Please first ensure that you don't have a security system which is inadvertently immobilising your car. Some of these work by cutting off fuel]

Assuming your pump is gone, to replace it you have to take out the rear seat bottom. Between the wheel arches you will find a round or possibly oval plate. Screw this off for access to the tank. You will then see the pump bolted into the top of the tank, wires and pipes the whole she-bang.

It's easy enough to remove, but be careful of fumes and any kind of sparking while you are doing this job. Disconnect the battery while you are doing it, in fact before you remove the plate. If any of your friends smoke within 100 metres of the car while you are doing this job, kick them hard in the goolies. Tell them I said it was OK to do this, they need a lesson in stupidity.

Also for safety don't extract the pump before you have the new Walbro in your hand. It's safer to take out the old and bolt in the new in one session. Make sure all your rubber pipes are nicely tightened back. Remember this system works at high-ish pressure, you abso-effing-lutely do not want fuel leaking under your back axle. Make all connections secure and good, likewise make your electrical connections safe and insulated.

When you have it all connected back up again and your battery re-connected, turn it over a few times to let the fuel pressure build up. As soon as it does, your motor will start and be good as new.

Good luck with it, and be careful while doing it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 01-05-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBR...Q5fAccessories Walbro
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Please keep the obvious in mind if you plan on changing the fuel pump yourself.. Set up "NO SMOKING" signs around the area and make it obvious to everyone it's dangerous. Some people recommend a mask to work with to help reduce the inhalation of fumes but I don't see it as being a necessity if you are in a well ventilated area..

The access to the fuel pump is under your rear seats I believe.. So before you begin, open all the windows, doors, trunk, hood, and even the gas cap to help vent the fumes.. Should be able to just swap the old one with the new one I think.. Let the experts chime in if they see an error..
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
In my singular experience with fuel pump failure (not in an SVX but an '86 Suby wagon) things get quiet real quick like, then you walk.

If my cars are any indicator, a gurgling sound from the tank isn't unusual.

dcb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Again, this is normal.

dcb
As dcarrb has said twice, the 'gurgling' is the sound of the pump pumping fuel around the engine system and back to the tank. This is normal and says that the pump is working normally.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
As dcarrb has said twice, the 'gurgling' is the sound of the pump pumping fuel around the engine system and back to the tank. This is normal and says that the pump is working normally.

Harvey.
Really? I was advised to get a new pump because of my "noisy tank"
Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Really? I was advised to get a new pump because of my "noisy tank"
its the side-side jet. The tank has a rise in the middle of it to make way for the exhaust and driveshaft. To make sure you use the whole tank rather than one side, the pump uses a jet to pick up fuel from the other side of the tank and bring it over to the side with the pick-up. This is the gurgling sound you hear when turning the key to ON. It is normal operation and the gurgle is just air in the jet line. This means the pump is indeed working. Check to make sure you have pressure in the fuel system and then make sure the injectors and cycling properly. Check for spark. It is almost sure fire you will find your issue following that chain.

Tom
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM

thank you for the suggestions and your replies, i will post back as soon as i get a chance to diagnose.