How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-30-2002, 10:10 PM
golddrum11

premium unleaded

I am the proud recent driver of a midnight black 92' SVX and it actually wasn't untill after i had bought it that i realized it wanted me to put premium in. now don't get me wrong if that's what it needs i will gladly do it but i am just wondering. how much does an SVX really need premium and have any of you run into any problems from not or with gas in general.
thanks.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:22 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
when switching between regular (87) fuel and premium (91) I notice a slight performance hit sometime on the same tank of gas when going to the lower grade. When switching back it seems to take a few tanks to regain that lost performance.

Another way to speed that up is to reset the ECU (leave the battery disconnected overnight)
Old 07-31-2002, 09:03 AM
"high" in Colorado

Welcome!

Welcome Golddrum! This is the right place to learn about your car!

I have a 92 Pearlie.....On the way to the 10th Ann. meet, I tried a tank of the mid grade. I couldn't really tell any difference on the hwy.

With this crappy gas we have in the Great State of Colorado, I run nothing but premium! It is only a buck or so more per tank....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 07-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: premium unleaded

Quote:
Originally posted by golddrum11
I am the proud recent driver of a midnight black 92' SVX and it actually wasn't untill after i had bought it that i realized it wanted me to put premium in. now don't get me wrong if that's what it needs i will gladly do it but i am just wondering. how much does an SVX really need premium and have any of you run into any problems from not or with gas in general.
thanks.
Welcome to the club, Golddrum! I hope you enjoy many, many happy miles in your SVX.

This has been explained many times before - usually to new members like yourself. Run a search next time you need a question answered and you'll likely find it.

Yes, the SVX requires premium gas. The car will run on lower-octane fuel, but I don't recommend it. If you absolutely have to run mid or regular, you can - but run the tank through, fill it with premium and disconnect the car's battery for eight hours.

Basically, the octane rating refers to how easily a fuel ignites. Lower-grade gas doesn't have to be compressed as much as premium gas. Since the SVX has a relatively high compression ratio of 10:1, it requires fuel which will not detonate early. And that's exactly what happens when you put in lower-octane fuel - the air/fuel mixture ignites too early, causing 'knocking.' This is no good. Besides degrading your engine's performance, I have to think that you're going to wear stuff out faster.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE