Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-05-2002, 01:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Brake bleeding...

I'm planning on removing the calipers and painting them when I replace my rotors. How does the brake bleeding system work with the SVX? I'd like to find out how to do this before I rip everything apart! Thanks

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 07-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Boone

Re: Brake bleeding...

Zep, You can find Subaru tech instructions at http://www.endwrench.com/archive/sysbrak.html They are kinda complex.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I made a pressurized bleeder. Got an old cap from a slavage yard, a few used heavy duty plastic OJ bottles, some clear hose and brass fittings.

Used the first bottle after the bycycle pump to hold air. Cut out an old bike tube air valve and glued it into the bottle cap.

Went from there to a second bottle that held a quart of BrakeFluid. The air enters the top of this bottle and then forces
the fluid up another hose from the bottom of the bottle.

Then went to the cap. It was from a Legacy.

I put the car up on stands and flushed out each line until clean fluid came out.

It's a good idea to this every year.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:18 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
John - Some more info, please. How did you get the hose to stay in the old cap? How much pressure? How long does it take to do it all? Do you have pictures of the set up? I can kind-of visualize it, but I am not sure. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I made a pressurized bleeder. Got an old cap from a slavage yard, a few used heavy duty plastic OJ bottles, some clear hose and brass fittings.

Used the first bottle after the bycycle pump to hold air. Cut out an old bike tube air valve and glued it into the bottle cap.

Went from there to a second bottle that held a quart of BrakeFluid. The air enters the top of this bottle and then forces
the fluid up another hose from the bottom of the bottle.

Then went to the cap. It was from a Legacy.

I put the car up on stands and flushed out each line until clean fluid came out.

It's a good idea to this every year.
Old 07-08-2002, 04:31 PM

Hi Gary,

I could take some pictures and that would be a good idea. Come on over sometime and I'll show you. I used about 15 psi and the hoses are just pushed up against some rubber washers on the barbed fittings so these leak a little.

I did all three of my cars. Oh it only takes about 3 minutes per wheels and really pushes out the old fluid.

John
Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Sounds great. I'll have to see when I have the "free" time. You can demonstrate how it works on my car ;-))

I am beginning to think I really need a new wheel bearing. I am debating whether I should take it in somewhere or just buy a new housing, bearing and seals, pack the bearing, have it pressed into the new housing, and just replace the whole unit. Probably wouldn't cost any more than having someone else replace just the bearing. What do you think?

Quote:
Hi Gary,

I could take some pictures and that would be a good idea. Come on over sometime and I'll show you. I used about 15 psi and the hoses are just pushed up against some rubber washers on the barbed fittings so these leak a little.

I did all three of my cars. Oh it only takes about 3 minutes per wheels and really pushes out the old fluid.

John
Old 07-08-2002, 07:15 PM

I am still on no wheel bearings after 60k miles. I think it is all in the installation.

I do not know about the cost. What do all the parts cost? Heck, you probably got all the part numbers on a prior bill. A wheel alignment would also be needed. Sometimes the bolt is hard to get out of the hub. We'll need some of that 'Break Free".
Old 07-08-2002, 10:21 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

From SubaruParts.com - Housing - 135, bearing - 61.40, oil seals (2) - 14.32 (both), snap ring (probably not needed) 5.30. Total - 210.

I am not sure that a wheel alignment would be necessary as we are talking the rear and the only adjustment is toe, which shouldn't be disturbed.

Then there was the mechanic down in the Cherry Hill area who quoted a pretty good price (I have to go back through the posts to find the price he quoted).

I just seems easiest to spring for the housing. Then I can get the whole thing assembled before dismantling the car and just remove and replace, without worrying about whether the housing is still good, getting to the shop by a certain time to get the bearing pressed in, etc.

Quote:
I am still on no wheel bearings after 60k miles. I think it is all in the installation.

I do not know about the cost. What do all the parts cost? Heck, you probably got all the part numbers on a prior bill. A wheel alignment would also be needed. Sometimes the bolt is hard to get out of the hub. We'll need some of that 'Break Free".