Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Dash lights

Hi my name is paul and i picked up a 92 svx on the second of january and i like the car. but i got a problem. i was out driving and the car just all of a sudden lost power {eletical power} and died on the side of the road. i figured it was the alternator so i replaced that and the battery. the car will start and run fine but when i turn the wheel all the sevice lights come on in the gauge cluster. you can also hear a click ing on under the dash. need help fast just got the car and its starting to give me a bad impression. also when this happens the steering becomes tighter. not smooth and efortless like when i first picked it up. any help would be wonderful thanks paul
Old 01-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrizzle86
Hi my name is paul and i picked up a 92 svx on the second of january and i like the car. but i got a problem. i was out driving and the car just all of a sudden lost power {eletical power} and died on the side of the road. i figured it was the alternator so i replaced that and the battery. the car will start and run fine but when i turn the wheel all the sevice lights come on in the gauge cluster. you can also hear a click ing on under the dash. need help fast just got the car and its starting to give me a bad impression. also when this happens the steering becomes tighter. not smooth and efortless like when i first picked it up. any help would be wonderful thanks paul
The power steering control unit is located under the dash. See if you can trace the clicking. It appears there is possibly a wiring problem, follow your nose. A previous owner messing with audio gear may have hacked something about.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM

ok so i poked around under the dash and there is no visible problems in the cab. so im sitting there turning the wheel back and forth to getthe dash light s to come back on and it stoped. they will come on when the car is at full crank but i can rev abit and they go back out. so then i looked under the hood and i see that the alternator an ps belt does not change speeds when i rev the motor. im assuming this an issue with the crank pulley or some jazz. does this sound like it would be the problem and if it is where would be my best bet to find a new pulley or whatever. thanks Paul
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrizzle86
ok so i poked around under the dash and there is no visible problems in the cab. so im sitting there turning the wheel back and forth to getthe dash light s to come back on and it stoped. they will come on when the car is at full crank but i can rev abit and they go back out. so then i looked under the hood and i see that the alternator an ps belt does not change speeds when i rev the motor. im assuming this an issue with the crank pulley or some jazz. does this sound like it would be the problem and if it is where would be my best bet to find a new pulley or whatever. thanks Paul
The "or some Jazz" makes it a bit vague. Are you sure the belt is not slipping on the crank pulley?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:27 PM

he he no the belts not slipping its the pulley itself. i ordered on off planet svx already.thanks for your help though