Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Graphic Artist

Halfway into 4.44 swap, need some tips (now with crappy quality carnage pics)

Howdy folks,

The SVX has been off the road for nearly a year now, and I finnaly have a garage to work on it in.

So far, I've removed the intake plenum (want to replace knock sensors, and hoses under there, also makes it easier to reach the tranny)

Removed the front axles, rear axles, exhaust, rear end, driveshaft shield.

Question is, can I now remove the tranny mount safely or will the whole engine tranny assembly tip backward? What should be supported, if anything while removing the mount? Once that is done, is supporting the engine by the oil pan enough to keep the enigne from tipping forward?

Thanks for the help

-Patrick

pics:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/37205.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...e7en/37206.jpg

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 07-25-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
the engine is going to tip forward and punch a hole in your radiator when the tranny slides off.

tie it back/up with a strap from the dogbone to the ring at the alternator

also - a jack with a short piece of 2x4 under the front of the engine will help - use it to raise the front of the engine when you drop the tail of the tranny to get enough clearance to slide the tranny back.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Graphic Artist

Errrrmmmm....

-ello?

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Locker Link Solution

well hello!

You can remove the tranny cross member and the bar just behind the axles...
Tom has a good method of holdin the engine using a big wrench... I'll see if I can find a pic.
With the wrench in place you can remove the pitch stopper and then slide in your tranny jack and remove the the trans.
Don't be under it, it is very heavy and can mess you up good if it falls! Be sure you've also disconnected the three harnesses the shift cable and the ATF lines before removing the bellhousing bolts/nuts.

I hold the engine with straps and use an engine lift to lower/lift the trans with the tail of the trans supported by a floor jack. I have a motorcycle lift which works like a tranny lift sort of, but the strap method is just easier. With wood the motorcycle jack makes an even better rear support than the floor jack though!

Here is the pic Support Idea so NOW I'm done editing, good night!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 07-26-2006 at 12:37 AM. Reason: rolling edit...
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Graphic Artist

I've got to admit, I laughed when I saw the pic, It looks comical, also looks like it will work.

So, if I have this right,
1.) support the engine as shown.
2.) Remove shiftlinkage, cooler lines, electical plugs.
3.) Remove performance bar. (black tube thingus in front of tranny mount
4.) support transmission
5.) removove tranny mount from car and tranny
6.) unbolt from bellhousing
7.) wiggle tailshaft wilst pulling backwards and offering incsence and prayers to god of crushed fingers
8.) slowly lower tranny jack while pulling backwards.

Is this correct?

Thanks
-Patrick

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 AM

I'm at this stage too. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Locker Link Solution

I was out of it when I wrote that! I still am sorta dead tired... but here goes nuthin...

The wrench is a good idea as long as the length of it provides you with the correct angle for sliding the trans out. you could unbolt the cross member and the "dog bone" then find the angle you need to slide the trans out and insert your "stopper" if you have access to an engine hoist attach it to where the dog bone mount was and place a jack under the cross member, ohh yeah and remove "the bar" once the tranny is pulled back off the lower engine to bellhouse studs you can lower the hoist and the jack a little at a time alternating until you get it close to the floor where you can push it off the jack without hurting anything. and of course there is the cable and the harneses too!

If any of that confuses you... you'll understand when you remove the dog bone and unbolt the cross member (with a jack under it) You will see that you can change the angle by lifting/lowering the floor jack.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 07-27-2006 at 11:32 PM.