Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-01-2002, 02:28 PM

Question How do I know if it's the right one?

My front differential gave it all up. There are no locally available cases, so I'm having a complete transaxle (used) shipped in - then I'll have a spare tranny I guess.

Anyway, how do I tell if I've got a SVX transaxle vice Legacy or whatever without disassembly? I have read Aredubjay's horror story about a Legacy unit. Any unique numbers or exterior characteristics????

My concern is I get a Legacy unit then things begin to die because the rear diff ratio is different and all that entails.

tia
Old 05-01-2002, 02:34 PM
MINEZ BETTER

all can say is get the number of the transmission you are getting used. there should be a number plate on it, then call the dealer and ask them for that number what it came off of, maybe that should do.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
There's no external "tell" except for the part number sticker that may, or may not be on the unit.

Barring that, your first sign would be when the tranny did not bolt up to the SVX flywheel.

Other than "counting teeth" those are the only ways I know to tell the difference. Unfortunately, the stickers were lost on the Legacy tranny when they cleaned it for re-build. I can't believe that Subaru uses stickers instead of stamping or a metal, riveted plate, for identification.

You can get the part number from the diagram at subaruparts.com

BTW, does anyone need a tranny for a 91 Legacy (non-turbo) with less than 10K on the rebuild?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-01-2002, 02:55 PM
MINEZ BETTER

it should have a identification number on a black plate either on the left side, right side or on the top of the bellhousing, is what ive seen. it should be the o.e plate. they dont take those off, because its a refrence number for warranty on the trans unit
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-01-2002, 03:00 PM

more questions

By the unit not bolting up, I'm assuming you mean the torque converter bolt pattern doesn't match between Legacy and SVX.

Given that, when one buys a complete transaxle, does anybody want to venture an opinion if the torque converter should come with it?

If it does, I can compare and have an instant confirmation.

If it doesn't, then can I count turns of the axle shafts with the rear output shaft and determine ratio? Are there differences in the shaft that using my old converter would disclose?
Old 05-01-2002, 03:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by jsvxstyle
it should have a identification number on a black plate either on the left side, right side or on the top of the bellhousing, is what ive seen. it should be the o.e plate. they dont take those off, because its a refrence number for warranty on the trans unit
There were no "plates" on either the Legacy trans, nor the replacement SVX trans. Again, there was only a sticker and no other identifying marks except for FHI logos that were cast into the casing. The sticker that WAS on my current trans was also washed away in the clean up for rebuild.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Boone

Hmm.. If you're able to get the VIN of the car it came out of it should start with JF1CX3.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX
Re: more questions

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
By the unit not bolting up, I'm assuming you mean the torque converter bolt pattern doesn't match between Legacy and SVX.

Given that, when one buys a complete transaxle, does anybody want to venture an opinion if the torque converter should come with it?

If it does, I can compare and have an instant confirmation.

If it doesn't, then can I count turns of the axle shafts with the rear output shaft and determine ratio? Are there differences in the shaft that using my old converter would disclose?
Right. The bolt pattern doesn't math on the TC between the Legacy and SVX (found this out the hard way when they went to install the "real" SVX tranny).

I would imagine that a complete transaxle would include the TC. When I bought mine, it came with the TC which I had them rebuild along with the rest of the transmission (which, is giving me fits again).

Dunno about your last question.
Subaru Ambassador