Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

So if all the plugs were soaked, except for the two that pulling the injector connectors caused the engine to die, then it can't be a fuel problem. It has to be the ignition side. The ignitor must be good if two cylinders sound like they are firing. (IE, the car is running.)

Does it sound like you are running on 2 cylinders? Could you possibly have 4 bad coil paks? Any spare coil paks lying around?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well one of those sensors is identical to the one on the side of the motor... the one more than likely causing these problems.. Try it out and get back to us

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 10:32 PM
cz137

If it were me I would check the Fuel Injectors and Coil Packs.

You can check the fuel injectors by using a screwdriver. Hold the tip of the screwdriver on the injector and hold the plastic handle to your ear. You should hear a clicking sound as the injector fires. Of course a stethescope would work better. If one or more of the injectors is not firing then that's a problem.

To check the coil packs you can disconnect each one, one at a time and put some heavy gauge wire inside it and see if it will spark to the engine block. Of course a spark plug tester would work better. If one or more coil packs are not firing then that's a problem.

Also make sure that the rubber boot is good on all of the coil packs or you will get arching from the coil pack directly to the block, bypassing the plug. you can also check for arching at night when you should be able to see it visually. You should also be able to spray a fine mist of water without seeing any sparks around the coil packs.

If all of your coil packs are good and all of your fuel injectors are good, then you need to test compression and or perform a leak down test.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXSubaru92

I took out all the plugs and all but 2 were soaked. one was completely black, the one that when injector was pulled, it would kill the engine. The other was also an engine killer, and looked in good condition. So now its either ignition, or fuel. I've tried swapping injectors, which didn't help. I've checked if there is spark a while ago, before these problems. I'm going to have to check again.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:21 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Send a message via AIM to SvXSubaru92
oh geeeze

Well.....I cleaned the spark plugs throughly about a week ago, and replaced a coil that was bad, car started. I was keeping the rpm's over 2000 to get rid of all the fuel in the cylinder, it smoked for 5 minutes, then cleared up. I took it for a drive, It still has absolutly no acceleration, and a o2 sensor code came up.

My dad took it for a longer drive today, and the exhaust turned RED HOT! from the headers to tailpipes, they were red. They engine wasn't overheating. But HOW?! Could it be a clogged cat? muffler? To much fuel? I'm still amazed, I've never heard, seen something like this. Help me out. Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Maniac modifier

IT IS YOUR CAM SENSOR. I am not going to say it again... Change it out. Right now you ignition is firing while the exhaust cams are opening shooting your combustion stroke right into the exhaust pipes...

Tom
Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
IT IS YOUR CAM SENSOR. I am not going to say it again... Change it out. Right now you ignition is firing while the exhaust cams are opening shooting your combustion stroke right into the exhaust pipes...

Tom
Alright, I trust you. Is there only one? On the Drivers side? Or two? Where can I get a hold of a new one? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

I found the part numbers for new ones

Ac-Delco: 213-2409

Standard Motor Products: PC180

Is it worth trying to find a used one?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Maniac modifier

you said you had both sensors from the center crank pulley. One of them is the exact same thing as side sensor. I cannot recall exactly which one it is.. Check the diagrams one subaruparts.com

Tom
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXSubaru92
Well.....I cleaned the spark plugs throughly about a week ago, and replaced a coil that was bad, car started. I was keeping the rpm's over 2000 to get rid of all the fuel in the cylinder, it smoked for 5 minutes, then cleared up. I took it for a drive, It still has absolutly no acceleration, and a o2 sensor code came up.

My dad took it for a longer drive today, and the exhaust turned RED HOT! from the headers to tailpipes, they were red. They engine wasn't overheating. But HOW?! Could it be a clogged cat? muffler? To much fuel? I'm still amazed, I've never heard, seen something like this. Help me out. Thanks
Were both sides of the exhaust glowing?

The only things to cause this is a very lean mixture, or a very retarded spark.
I would go for the spark, being retarded.
Either the crankshaft position sensors are bad. Or
The crankshaft sprocket is in the wrong position, on the crank.
But you can be sure it is to do with one of these.
I seem to remember that you replaced the cam pulley, if it was the left hand side, was the replacement pulley the same as the orignal. The left one has pertrusions on the back that trigger the cam position sensor, the right side one does not.

A timing light that will trigger off the No.1 coil input will show the ignition timing, a dealer would have one. If you cant get that type, you could pull thr No.1 coil and run the timing light of it, the car will only run on 5 cylinders.
The timing should be 20*+- 8* at 610 rpm before top dead center. The marks are on the crank pulley.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
More thoughts.

As good as you and your dad may be at the work, I would say that the cam shaft timing is still wrong. For the exhaust to glow. there has to be gas still burning down in the exhaust pipe. This leaves either the spark timing is retarded, or the exhaust cam timing is advanced.

I would start again and time the engine from the start. Check the marks between the inlet and exhaust camshaft gears, that you removed to do the repair. Then check the crankshaft position marks,to the crankcase marks, the camshaft marks to the case marks, Then the No. of belt teeth between the cam marks, with the tensioner fully tensioned.

There has to be a fault in the timing somewhere, to cause the glowing exhaust.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.