Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2004, 10:32 PM
gamblergw

drove it home 3,345 miles. New owner

I just got in this afternoon from my drive from Ma. to Mesa Az. going through texas to visit my son. I bought the car on ebay a few weeks ago . Paid for it in 3 days and did not get to go pick it up until Mon. after xmas. The seller was very honest about the car. Stated that it ran and drove great but had a wheel bearing noise. I had time to order a wheel bearing and take it with me. The car had 116,595 miles when i picked it up. I checked the oil which was about 3/4 quarts over full. The car ran and drove great. The tranny shifts great and all things work except the gas guage is up and down. I had a smsll shop in burlington N. Carilina install the wheel bearing and they did a great job. the car got a low of about 24 miles to 27 miles to the galon. That was at speeds at 70 to 85 and a couple of times 90 MPH It now has 119,940 miles for a 3,345 mile trip with no problems. It used a little less than a quart of oil. It has no leaks and is the best and quietest driving car i have ever owned. I now know why svx owners love there cars so much. I will need front rotors . It shakes when braking hard. I am one happy svx new owner. Jim Stanley
Old 01-07-2004, 10:48 PM

welcome to the fold and happy reading here in svxland!

...and, yeah, i got the same brake situation. gotta get rotors sometime this year.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Jim,
Welcome to the Network and our wonderful dysfunctional family. Was the previous owner a member here? If not, how did you hear about us?

At any rate, we're glad you're here. Welcome, and many happy miles to you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Jim - welcome to the site. I am glad everything went well for you on the return trip. I have done several of those myself. It is great to see what this wonderful touring car can do across contry when you go that many miles. I have never gone so far so easily before driving the SVX.

One thing to check on the wheels is the torque. Make sure they are even on all of the lugs and on all of the wheels. This sometimes helps that shudder when braking. The torque that most everyone uses is 80 ft lbs. Good luck with the new car.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-08-2004, 12:00 AM
astralbody

Hello and welcome

warning long....

Glad your trip went well...here is a nightmare of one I dealt with,
I purchased the car from somebody in MA before flying out there
I got everything ready for the new addition in my life.
Got in Boston, setup a time to get car in the morning the next day.
the previous owner didn't come till late afternoon, and ta boot
it has an overheating problem now. ( bear in mind I have to drive this thing back to MN) he said it was starting to have this problem starting the week before, and thought he fixed it, coming to find out nothing was done, and he was late because he decided to take it to the cape before giving it to me...so we ran around all the rest of the day trying to find somebody that could fix it...this was on a friday @ 3:30...so you could say I was S.O.L.!!!!
well I made the decision to keep alot of water in the car with me.
as it would empty the coolant out after driving for sometime, but seem "workable" with hwy driving. OK this is only the start
well before he left he decided to take the plate off the car... licensed in CT!!!! now if I would have know I would have gotten a transport plate in MN...so I thought I would chance it...
here goes driving to get home, I made the mistake of driving through the EVIL state of c*/&neticut. where an officer pull me over and gave me a lecture about registartion and insurance.
I told him my story he said "if I were you I would get a hotel room and get temp plates at the DMV on Mon. ok (fuming at this point)
he gives me a ticket for insurance or lack there of..I had insurance on it, added it before I left from MN, with a card and full policy for it in the car, nope he said if it doesn't say CT on the insurance card you have no insurance. a$$ blah of a state. So I get a motel in Danbury, contact the previous owner bout borrowing the plate untill I got home and mail it back to him...nope essentually told me to burn in h@@#...now I was beyond mad, stayed the weekend in CT, oh wait the great state of CT DMV isn't open on Monday...
so I see if my state will help...they ask me to express the paper work and they will express the plates...they even contacted CT if they could work a deal for a transport plate from there...again CT not open.
MN DMV said they will call there tomorrow, ok another day in CT.
I couldn't express the paperwork...needed to get back to work, I had a very important investigation to work on thurs. RUNNING out of time, Tuesday in the state of CT, I go to the DMV and they told me that thier transport plates are for out of state purchases going to CT only...(while this entire time I was working with allstate to see if I could get an insurance card with CT on it. NO cause I'm not a CT resident it would be illegal to sell me insurance for that state!!!!!!!!!! piss on it. I have insurance full coverage, so as I see it I'm only 15 Min from the border, piss on them). OK back to the DMV, MN said they politely to burn in he@!.
MN was not happy with them. I told the CT DMV I hope they rot in HE!@!!!!!!!, I then left for freedom called the border. GOODBYE you $%^$^%^$#&^&%* stateof CT. snuck out and made it home WED late and tired.
What can I say.....
first CT is EVIL...I have never paid the ticket nor ever will...reciprocity is a nice thing...I'm not legal to drive in CT but as I see it I never was even when I was legal.
second...the previous owner is evil...from CT.
third... I have a new respect for MN with all the help and bending over backward for me.
fourth...I love my SVX...even though the jerk who owned the car before said it had a fresh trans. in it, it broke 30 days after buying it.

I'm slamming CT....so all you CT people living there this is not an attack on you just the mass of land you live upon called CT.

glad your drive went well and again welcome!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Welcome!

Welcome to the asylum...err I mean network.

Good to see someone else in the tundra we call MN.

I can relate to the plate story...I flew in Friday night, and wasn't going to stick around over the weekend to buy a temp plate. Unlawful as it was, I just took a plate off my other car and brought it with me, and put it on for my drive back from Albany, NY to MN. I didn't speed excessively on the way back, so I figured as long as I had a plate on there the 'man' should not give me any grief unless he pulls me over for something. It was hard to obey the law for that many miles, but oh well gotta do what you hafta do sometimes...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM
astralbody

Say stevebsy...

sorry little off topic.
I was looking to buy one of the bumpers from you
instaed of paying for shipping could I drive up theere and grab it?
not till spring though as I need to do the 5sp first
Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 PM
gamblergw

warm welcome

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I bought the car on ebay from a dealer so i know nothing about the previous owner. Due to the bad weather in boston and east coast plus xmas holidays i had a lot of time before flying to logan in boston. I had received the tittle days before so i went to my insurance co. (state farm) and My state DMV Az. and bought a temp drive out permit for 15.00 dollars , good for 30 days. I had had it for over 15 days due to the delays. Your state farm Ins. is good in all states including Conn. I drove through 15 states with no problems. I did take a voice fuzz buster with me so i hsd to slow down a few times but it did its job i guess. If you run with the traffic , you will be speeding in allmost every state. I plan to spend a thousand or a little more to cherry out the car. I bought it for 2551.01 o ebay so i will still be in it at a nice deal (I think) The only things i find it needs now are front rotors or maybe check the lug nuts. I am looking for a gray drivers seat (leather) and the swade arm rest. It has two dents in the rebber bumper in the rear that i will fix and a few (very few) little dings in the body. I am very pleased with the car.. everything seems to work except the gas guage works up and down. The car looks to be all orginal in and out. I am looking forward to rading all the post. Oh about how i found this site. Since i had weeks before going to pick up my car I went on line and tried subarusvx.com and bingo here i am. Again thanks for the warm welcome and all the info here. If i ask a dumb question i hope you guys will bear with me. I am a newbie and dont know a thing about this car except for what i have read on this and other sites. Jim Stanley
Old 02-06-2004, 03:03 PM
MikeInd

I am one also...i get my SVX on Sat 2/7/2004.

I feel like a little kid on xmas....
Old 02-06-2004, 06:44 PM
fishdmax

I thought going 1100 miles was a long way. My trip from Chicago to Colorado last Friday and Saturday was great, car was flawless, and you can't over heat the tranny when it's -8 outside.
Steve
Old 02-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Recycling

Hi everyone, It's good to see the SVXs going on to new lives with new owners. I've had my '92 since 1997. At one time it was a daily driver but following Mr.Pockets example I have put the SVX away for the winter, except for short runs when the roads are clean and clear. Well don't become discouraged when things go wrong with your SVX. After all most are fourteen plus years old. Take care, BOBB
Old 02-07-2004, 07:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Jim,

Welcome to our SVX family. Wishing you many miles of happy motoring. I hope that you get as much pure joy from your SVX as I do from mine.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:58 PM
gamblergw

Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeInd
I am one also...i get my SVX on Sat 2/7/2004.

I feel like a little kid on xmas....
I Know how you feel, Same way here......Jim
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 PM
gamblergw

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Jim,

Welcome to our SVX family. Wishing you many miles of happy motoring. I hope that you get as much pure joy from your SVX as I do from mine.
Thanks Larry for the warm welcome....Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 01:18 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

woohoo

another Svx in Az !!
Hope you can stop by some time Jim

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."