Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-08-2003, 06:22 PM

As a former MR2 owner/driver, I think I can say you will enjoy the SVX a lot....if you are looking to move up to a grand touring machine.

IMHO, if there is a more affordable Grand Touring machine than the SVX I've never seen it. Closest Japanese comparison would be a NA Supra, but the SVX has a superior ride, a smoother feel, and of course AWD. Closest world competitor might be a Porsche 928 (but horsepower comparisons are a bit skewed there).

BTW, My oldest son is driving a 91 NA MR2 now. I doubt a more reliable sports car was ever made, especially the NA model - I mean a Camry engine - what more could be asked for (besides more power - which Yamaha gladly supplied in the turbo model). Have you seen the Sports Compact issue where they stuff a Lexus V-6 into the MR2? Can't wait until they throw on the promised supercharger.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Unstoppable

cool, another MR2 owner looking to buy a SVX. Where is it if I may ask? I am somewhat near you, and want to know if we're looking at the same one. If so, it may not be worth it for me to waste the trip. Let me know.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 PM
wantaSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
cool, another MR2 owner looking to buy a SVX. Where is it if I may ask? I am somewhat near you, and want to know if we're looking at the same one. If so, it may not be worth it for me to waste the trip. Let me know.
Its in hampton NH, have you seen it already?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Unstoppable

Nope, not the same one. Im thinking about looking at one this weekend in VT, so I was curious if you had seen it/were going to buy it so I could save myself the trip.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:17 PM
gcookaustin

As a college student, I would like to submit that the SVX is very reliable (even as a 4-owner fleet car); I have had no problem except for a tranny replacement (I've put ~20k on it since I bought it about a year ago). I've just been keeping up with the maintenace on it. There are things that do cause minor problems (O2 sensors, TPSs, Park-lever inhibitor) but I've put off replacing them because they are avoidable. I would recommend getting a warranty; one may be harder to find now that it's 11 years old but I found a 4-year/48000 powertrain that replaced my transmission with a used-rebuilt with no hassle at all.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Superbeast

Hay, Wana and Gimp you Guys should try to get to the Tri-state meet in Mass. this weekend, seems your not that far away. Check the upcoming meets forum if you want details.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

IMHO, if there is a more affordable Grand Touring machine than the SVX I've never seen it. Closest Japanese comparison would be a NA Supra, but the SVX has a superior ride, a smoother feel, and of course AWD. Closest world competitor might be a Porsche 928 (but horsepower comparisons are a bit skewed there).

Lee (and others), where would you place the original Lexus SC400 Coupe in the comparison? Aside from the rear wheel drive, I'd say it's a close call. Introduced in '92, expensive (50K), loaded with advanced electronic goodies, heavy (3700 lbs), seats 4 (OK, but better than a Porsche or Supra), 260Hp V8, (half-flat). AND...from what I hear, extremely reliable, just like uh... Oh, well. Yeah, I know, the windows aren't all that funny either. Still, I've had my eyes on these beasts too.
Hmmm....

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What would an SC400 sell for today though?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:33 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

hey wantasvx

just wondering how you found this board?? did you happen to see the posts on the mr2 board and found yourself over??

i love my svx... but its in the shop right now, and for the meanwhile, i'm driving a 91 n/a mr2 that i picked up in the absence of the svx...
mrspyder: gotta have a drop top in cali...

always looking for a reliable 5spd svx...
Old 05-09-2003, 04:55 AM
wantaSVX

i found it myself on i did most of my reserch on www.subarusvx.com then i wanted to ask so real owners how they like the car.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:26 AM
RRX

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Ive seen them as low as 8k-17K. It depends on the year/conditon. One of my best friends has one and it has a few more luxury features than the SVX...Like passenger power seats..Liquid display...ect. I beat him when we raced..Its a nice realiable car but overall, I like the SVX better.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Not to be contridictory, but, "most of us" on this board drive '92's (11 year old cars).
You know, old chum... I think the quote was referring to the general populace.

Hey, considering you're referred to obliquely in my posting, I don't think you have room to talk
Old 05-09-2003, 09:04 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Don't these have a toyota V-8 in them????

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...