Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 AM

Dash Button internals (cruse/fogs)

Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic, but after a quick search i can see noone was as adventurous as me

(DISCLAIMER! i have a JDM unit, my buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel, and are ordered blank/cruise/fog)

so after managing to pry the unit from the dash, and pop the buttons off
i took off the first tiny bulbs (green text illumination) because they stuck up, and it was obvious that they would be in the way if i tried sliding the black casing off of the gray interior board.

after those were out, i undid the clips, and started sliding the cover off

turns out the other set of bulbs (orange active markers) is in the way of the internal guts (which, not surprisingly, are spring loaded)
this caused a 'hitch' in the sliding, causing everything effectively to explode in my hands, with all the guts ending up all over the floor. huzzah!

this is what the interior board looks like

the top

the bottom

the guts

thats basically what the 'button' mechanism looks like.
the little black piece on the right is the guide which fits into the bottom of the black housing, and is "connected" to the button unit via this little wire on its underside (not pictured)
when i put it back, i was surprised such a ridiculous looking system actually worked the way it did

the brass pieces are the connectors which slide along the gray board to give desired effects (or so i presume)

anyways, i believe i managed to find and piece everything back together
(took a while, no word of a lie...)

and while i managed to break/burn out? one of the little bulbs, and lose the little yellow 'condom' for one of the orange ones... (that **** comes off? SERIOUSLY?)
i did manage to piece the unit back together, and have the buttons click in/out, and the little bulbs light up at the proper times

HOWEVER.

my fog lights are not coming on
neither is the CRUISE light in the dash
but the litthe click noise when enabling cruise is still present. sadly i cant do the obvious test to see if its really working or not

here is a numbered/flipped pair of the gray panel pictures

i only managed to recover 3 brass connectors, and i extrapolated their placement by the grease/wear marks
2 on the cruse, and one on the right side of the fog switch.
now its possible that i missed one, because the pair of connectors on the gray board have slight wear lines (7, 8) which could indicate that i missed one connector, and this is why the fogs arent lighting up?

and why is the cruse light in the dash not flipping on?

any expert thoughts on the subject?