Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-09-2001, 12:01 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: i think the whole car buying process........

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i would like to know how much they make on average.
On a used car and a good day, and a toopid customer that just has to have the car? Between 2-5k per unit. One salesman I know made over ten grand in commissions one month. (He made more than the owner that month). Figure commission is 25% of the gross, and you get an idea of how much money is generated through sales, and also why the service department is the ba$tard child of the dealership. A tech might bring the dealership 60k per year, but a salesman, (usually a shyster) can bring about double that if not more.

We had an older Subaru come in running poorly that they ACV'd (actual cash value) at 50 bucks. I swapped some misrouted vacuum lines around and it sold for 3500 bucks a week later. Yup, I got paid my 15 bucks, (It took an hour to straighten everything out.)
Old 07-09-2001, 12:23 PM
Lowered SVX

you gotta be kidding me......

wow. that sucks eddy. i guess that is why the whole process is just uncomfortable, you know you are about to get ripped off. thanks for the answer. : )
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-09-2001, 01:21 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
wow. that sucks eddy. i guess that is why the whole process is just uncomfortable, you know you are about to get ripped off. thanks for the answer. : )
The truth is out there, but just be sure you want to hear the answer.

Why, just recently I found out we all have All Wheel Steering and didn't even know it! Now mind ya, I have *never* been under one of these cars, and this is just a shot in the dark, but nowhere in my factory manuals was there a section on AWS, so I just took it as fact that there was no AWS! So I just assumed that the people that designed and built the cars knew what they were talking about, however, I have been informed that a writer for Road and Track magazine knows more than these folks. Pshew, close one, I was almost bamboozled into thinking they actually knew something. Next time I see me some brochures and stuff on e-bay, you can bet yer bottom dollar I'm going to be buying some of them things up!

I see you might be taking a road trip to Ken-tuck-ee, if you get a chance come on up to northern Ideeho...I'll show you my pet bigfoot! I live right by the lake too, and there is a fair chance we can see a sea monster if'n we sit on the beach long enough.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:15 PM
BradT

Responding to jscorse, the exact wording of the factory sticker is "four wheel fully independent suspension with passive four wheel steering."

--Brad
Old 07-09-2001, 05:36 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by BradT
Responding to jscorse, the exact wording of the factory sticker is "four wheel fully independent suspension with passive four wheel steering."

--Brad
Uh huh, I think you may be right there. But let's check out truth in advertising. I have access to several "solar clothes driers". Would anyone be interested in buying one? I'm willing to sell them at the rock bottom price of 29.95 each, includes shipping.

Now mind you, a solar clothes drier consists of a few feet of nylon rope and a couple of anchors. But have I said anything dishonest? Nope, the sun will sure enough dry your clothes if my "product" is used properly, (installed in a sunny locale).

If you guys really have to insist you have AWS, then by all means go for it. I really don't care, but rest assured I will be chuckling every time I read a post about it. And I pray that some poor dood just doesn't take it to heart and go to his dealer stating his doesn't seem to be working. I can't even imagine the embarassment I'd feel as the tech was walking away shaking his head and laffing.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:52 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Thanks Eddy!

All things come to he who waits....

<The truth is out there>

SV X-file........ Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-09-2001, 11:37 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
but nowhere in my factory manuals was there a section on AWS
Nowhere in the factory manuals does it mention the Engine's role in propelling the car. Yet, if one assembles the component parts as described will it not do what it's supposed to do? Neither does it mention specifically that the transmission aids in the propulsion of the automobile, yet, if the component parts are assembled as described, will it not perform its function, even though the function is not specifically mentioned? Could it be possible that, even though the function of "passive steering" is not specifically mentioned, that, once the suspension's component parts are assembled as described, that it would perform a function that is not specifically mentioned? If I follow the instructions on building and launching a kite, even though it does not mention, specifically, the word "fly," if I have assembled the component parts as per instructions, will it refuse to fly, merely because the terminology was not there? One has to wonder.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-10-2001, 07:25 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Nowhere in the factory manuals does it mention the Engine's role in propelling the car. Yet, if one assembles the component parts as described will it not do what it's supposed to do? Neither does it mention specifically that the transmission aids in the propulsion of the automobile, yet, if the component parts are assembled as described, will it not perform its function, even though the function is not specifically mentioned? Could it be possible that, even though the function of "passive steering" is not specifically mentioned, that, once the suspension's component parts are assembled as described, that it would perform a function that is not specifically mentioned? If I follow the instructions on building and launching a kite, even though it does not mention, specifically, the word "fly," if I have assembled the component parts as per instructions, will it refuse to fly, merely because the terminology was not there? One has to wonder.
What you say is true Arebub. However, in any *repair* manuals I have seen, if there is a system on the car, there is a corresponding section in the manual for the repair of that system. I have noticed that some people here don't have sunroofs or ABS, there are sections in the manuals for repairing those, because *they* do exist in some models.

But as I said earlier, if it makes you guys sleep better at night knowing you have AWS, then by all means *you* have AWS. Besides, despite my best efforts to prove my point using logic, first hand knowledge, years of experience, humor, satire, and finally great big rocks to try and show you the light, I have failed. A great man once said, "you cannot teach those that will not learn". (Oh...wait, that was me! )
Old 07-10-2001, 07:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: i think the whole car buying process........

Quote:

On a used car and a good day, and a toopid customer that just has to have the car? Between 2-5k per unit. One salesman I know made over ten grand in commissions one month. (He made more than the owner that month). Figure commission is 25% of the gross, and you get an idea of how much money is generated through sales, and also why the service department is the ba$tard child of the dealership. A tech might bring the dealership 60k per year, but a salesman, (usually a shyster) can bring about double that if not more.

We had an older Subaru come in running poorly that they ACV'd (actual cash value) at 50 bucks. I swapped some misrouted vacuum lines around and it sold for 3500 bucks a week later. Yup, I got paid my 15 bucks, (It took an hour to straighten everything out.)
I had a friend in VT who, when approached by a car salesman, would recite the same line to greet him/her:

'Look, to me you guys are no better than murderers and rapists. Let's just get that clear.'

A little harsh. I don't like car salespeople, either - part of the reason I give them such a hard time selling me the damned car. Sure, I want a good dea, but makin' 'em really work for it is half the fun in my book.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-10-2001, 08:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:

What you say is true Arebub. However, in any *repair* manuals I have seen, if there is a system on the car, there is a corresponding section in the manual for the repair of that system.
That's because it is not a "system." It is a passive by-product of the design. If you have used your first hand knowledge and years of experience to their fullest, and assembled the suspension correctly, the intended effect is allowed to occur.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-10-2001, 10:19 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:

That's because it is not a "system." It is a passive by-product of the design. If you have used your first hand knowledge and years of experience to their fullest, and assembled the suspension correctly, the intended effect is allowed to occur.
That was a shot, wasn't it? Can't prove your point so now the insults start.

And a darned good shot it was too! Perhaps as you know volumes more than me about the car, we should propose a new area, Aredubjay's Garage.

I *think* in my last post on the issue I pretty much stated that you aren't going to change your mind, nor am I. So what's the point of arguing?
Old 07-10-2001, 10:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:

That was a shot, wasn't it? Can't prove your point so now the insults start.

And a darned good shot it was too! Perhaps as you know volumes more than me about the car, we should propose a new area, Aredubjay's Garage.

I *think* in my last post on the issue I pretty much stated that you aren't going to change your mind, nor am I. So what's the point of arguing?
A) It wasn't a "shot" -- I respect your experience and your abilities. And, I think I've proven my point quite well -- thank you very much.

B) I don't want a garage.

C) You're right, neither of us are going to change our minds.

D) Don't keep throwing bait among multiple threads and then accuse me of arguing when I take it.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-10-2001, 10:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
What's the point in arguing?

Because it's fun to watch. I'm glad we've reignited this one. Let's keep it going. I just love it!

I suppose the mechanic has never repaired our AWS because if it was broke the backend of the car would be all over the road.

he he he
Old 07-10-2001, 12:06 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: What's the point in arguing?

Quote:
Originally posted by jscorse
Because it's fun to watch. I'm glad we've reignited this one. Let's keep it going. I just love it!

I suppose the mechanic has never repaired our AWS because if it was broke the backend of the car would be all over the road.

he he he
He started it..NO! He started it...

Nah, the mechanic has never fixed your AWS because it's a figment of someone's imagination. The mechanic has had to on occasion replace a few bushings in the rear suspension at times. So I guess in some folks minds that would constitute fixing the AWS.

Oh man, I just had a thought! (Rare occurance) Wouldn't it be funny if we locked the guy that owns a 980 HP SVX, and the one that owns a designed for rear wheel drive SVX, and the one (s?) that have AWS, the fella that had two buttons on his shift lever (none of the rest of us do, yahoo thread, sorry might have lost you on that one), and the 14 year old brochure totin' kid in a room and toss in a few copies of road and track and some sales literature? Imagine the brainstorming in that room! Too funny! Eventually we'd find out that SVX's can float, fly, do a 360 in 2 feet and that they all came equipped with ejection seats, 6 speed manual trannies and cup holders that actually aren't a pain to use.

I still have some of those solar clothes driers for sale if anyone wants them.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:07 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: you gotta be kidding me......

Quote:

A) It wasn't a "shot" -- I respect your experience and your abilities.
No, you don't.