Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 12:54 PM
$VX

*** Dammit!!!!!!!#*($&%*(&@

Ok ok, story time. I park my car last night. I come to it this morning after class. There's a crappy SILVER s-10 parked about 2 inches away. There are gigantic scuff marks in two places on my bumper and my passenger headlight is scuffed as well. There was silver paint on it. There was black paint and gelcoat on the bottom of his bumper. I ran to my apartment and took pictures of everything. I took pictures of my bumper. I took pictures of his bumper. So... what did I do after that?!?!?!

WELL, thanks to you guys, I left a polite note telling the guy that he hit my car, and that to please contact me. I also told him I took pictures of the car. Then I left my cell phone number and my home phone number.

WELL..

I just now recieved a call from him. He refuses to admit he hit my car. He claims there is no way I can prove it his him. I told him I had pictures of my bumper, I have pictures of his bumper, I have pictures of his plate, and I have pictures of how close he parked to me. Basically, he told me to f*ck off. I told him that my insurance company would be calling him, and he said he didnt care, because I can't prove anything. Then he wouldn't give me his name or his phone number. Well, Luckily, I star 69'd the bastard and got his home phone number then used ATT to find his address.

So, I have his name, phone number, address, and pictures of where he hit me. The bad news? I do not have collision on my car. So does HIS insurance pay for this? Or am I screwed?

- Ca$h

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-25-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:10 PM

His insurance should cover it. Both times one of my cars was hit, the other person's insurance paid for both the repairs and a rental car. Of course, those people didn't try to deny that they hit my car either...

I hope it works out for you. I'd hate to see you get screwed by doing the right thing.

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 11-25-2002, 01:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
The only way his insurance company will pay for your car is if there is a police report filed against him and it is judged to be his fault. Regretfully the thing to have done would be to call the police while you were taking pictures so that a police officer could have lent his view of whether he was the cause or not. It is still not too late to call the police since you have pictures but an officer on the scene at that time would have been even better.

On another note, I applaud your self control this time around! I can appreciate the amount of self restraint you must have wielded to keep yourself under control. I truly feel bad for what happened to your car. Good luck with this a-hole. I hope you can land him in some legal trouble. It's a shame that there are those who refuse to take esponsibility for their actions.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Unhappy

Well, if you have collision coverage on your car, the insurance company will usually just pick up the tab and then go after the other drivers' insurance ro recoup their expenses.

Since you don't have collision coverage on your car, I don't know. Do you have comprehensive coverage on the car, or just liability? With comprehensive, if it covers vandalism, you might be able to convince them.

Without a police report, I don't know what they'll do with photos and contact information.

Not to say 'I told you so,' but this is why I recommended that you call the police to fill out a report. I'm surprised that the guy called you in the first place, if he was just going to deny it. But I don't know that photos provide enough legal justification for your insurance company to go after his.

Besides, your insurance carrier doesn't even know who covers the other guy, and I don't know that they have any legal means to find out.

I'm glad that you handled the situation in a more mature fashion, and more responsibly than the other guy.

And I'm sorry your car has been a victom to this kind of carelessness twice in such a short period.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Hater

much better job handling it this time, but you really shoulda called the police on the spot, if that were possible. you could still file a police report, perhaps? hopefully there is a shot of his truck parked next to your SVX in one of the pics. good-luck

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-25-2002, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
who drives around with out colision??? thats the 1st thing u get besides PIP,,,

well for florida u must have PIP and colision,, if caught with out it u are in trouble ,,

good luck ,,
Old 11-25-2002, 01:58 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sorry

That blows. I totally agree that you should've called the cops right away. Even if he came out and left before then you could've had the pictures for when the cop showed up. Now it does become a he said, he said situation which usually ends up as a no fault incident. You're not out yet. Just down a little. CALL the cops NOW!!! They really aren't that bad esp when your nice to them. Explain the situation and that you felt that it would've been a no brainer that the guy would pay w/o any police or insurance involvement (take the approach that you felt you were doing him a favor). Also, ask the cop if you should contact your insurance company now and if so what the incident report # is gonna be.

As far as not being able to prove that he did it. You can tell by the scrapes I'm sure your car has his paint and his has your paint. Hmmm... How likely is it that would happen??? Oh yeah, STAY CALM AND DON'T GET ALL UPSET WHEN THE COP IS THERE.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Question

One thing... How is Ca$h going to PROVE the truck hit him & not vice versa?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
One thing... How is Ca$h going to PROVE the truck hit him & not vice versa?

Ron.
I'm assuming that the damage should show who hit who. If a car is sitting and gets scrapped the scrape should look different then if the car does the scraping. I'm guessing it was at school so if he pulled in with someone else in the car that person could vouch that he was there prior to the silver s-10. If not it gets a little tricky.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
who drives around with out colision??? thats the 1st thing u get besides PIP,,,

well for florida u must have PIP and colision,, if caught with out it u are in trouble ,,

good luck ,,
Different states have different requirements. MI and VT only required very limited liability.

And I can relate to not carrying collision coverage. Cash is short when you're in college.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-25-2002, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Do you have comprehensive coverage on the car, or just liability? With comprehensive, if it covers vandalism, you might be able to convince them.
Ummm... What rock have you been living under your entire life?
With almost all insurance companies, comprehensive insurance includes collision. So if he doesn't have collision, how can he have comprehensive?

Anyway Rob, sorry about what happened and I hope it works out for you. It truly is amazing the lack of respect people have today.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 11-25-2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:12 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx

well for florida u must have PIP and colision,, if caught with out it u are in trouble
Sry to tell ya Solar but this isnt true, i just moved from florida, i never had colision insurance on my Pulsar, makes sence since colision on that thing costs bout 2k a year and liability is only 500.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:28 PM
FifthElement

Bummer dude. You have some real bad luck with parking.

Moral of the story, like moral of the story last time, call the Police. They could have done all the investigating for you. And they even would have gotten into contact with the owner of the truck and found out what he had to say.

You should definitely still call the police during the day and see what they think. They might still go talk to the guy and what not.

I hope it turns out for you in the end. Perhaps this is just a test to see how you react in the face of getting screwed once again? I hope you pass the test, my friend. Be the better person. What goes around comes around.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:29 PM

well with calling the cops, um like now, i'd do it. when the guy that rearended me said that he would pay damages if there were any, and when i called him he told me that he wouldn't pay and there isn't a damn thing i could do about it, i took my butt to the PD dept and filed a report and wrote him out a ticket. he acted like a 5 year old in front of the judge, so guess what...i kept quiet and remained mature even though i was fuming, and he got the ticket, probably cuz he was such an ass

so with out the police report, 1 witness and a very arrogant defendant, i won. just go to the PD and file a report and find out what you can do.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Ummm... What rock have you been living under your entire life?
With almost all insurance companies, comprehensive insurance includes collision. So if he doesn't have collision, how can he have comprehensive?

Anyway Rob, sorry about what happened and I hope it works out for you. It truly is amazing the lack of respect people have today.
Okay, that was rude.

I'm pretty certain that every insurance company that I've dealt with in every state I've lived in has treated comprehensive (fire, theft, vandalism, etc.) as a separate part of the policy.

The states I have lived in have required at least liability insurance. If you want comprehensive beyond that, it's optional, you pick your deductible and will cost you $x. If you want collision beyond that, it's optional, you pick a separate deductible and will cost you another $x.

Please drop the 'tude, man. If your experiences have been different, that's great and leat's hear about them, but please present them a little more politely.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 11-25-2002 at 07:40 PM.