SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
O/t - Bs!

Well, I had a good weekend, except for some Saturday night BS. I'm driving near ASU in Tempe on my way home from a car show. I figure I'll go down Mill Ave., kinda the happening spot, and see what's going on. So, I'm approaching Mill and I get into the right turn lane to turn right. I notice that the turn lane is blocked off by cones up ahead, so I jump back into my lane before I get trapped in the blocked right turn lane. So, I'm chillin there about 5 cars back when the light turns green. I'm watchin traffic because it's fairly heavy, and I'm watching for pedestrians because they're all around. So, slowly moving forward, finally get to the light, and turn right onto Mill after the cones end. Get onto Mill and have to stop immediately because the light up ahead was red, and there was a backup. So, I'm sittin there just listening to my music waiting for the light to turn green when this motorcycle cop pulls right up to my passenger door. He was just chillin there looking right at me, so I rolled down my window. "Could you please pull in right behind this white car"
"Yes, sir. May I ask what for?"
"You can't make a right turn there"
*pull in behind white car and roll down window*
"Did you not see the cones and sign indicating no right turn?"
"I saw the cones but didnt' see the sign. I thought it was construction. Sorry."
"OK. Can I please have your licence blah blah blah"
*time passes*
"We have 15 cones and 1 sign making that a no right turn. We're trying to control traffic on this street"
"OK. I just didn't see the sign. I'm sorry."
"Please sign here to indicate that you recieved this copy. We just want you to be safe."

So, to make a long story short, he actually gave me a $152 ticket for it. It pissed me off that he kept saying "We just want you to be safe" because there was nothing unsafe about what I did. The whole reason I didn't see the sign was that I was being careful watching traffic and pedestrians. On the ticket, where it says "posted speed", he put 30, and for "actual speed" he put 10. So, I got a $152 ticket for making a right hand turn at 20MPH under the speed limit. I never went back to look at the sign (which I should've), so I don't know how clearly marked it was. So, I can either go to court and fight the ticket, or I can pay $123 for a driving class and not have to worry about the ticket at all. What would you all do?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-25-2002, 08:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'd go to court. Just tell the judge your case and I bet he/she will be lenient. Your reasons for missing the sign are very understandable.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-25-2002, 08:22 AM

I would go back and take a picture of the sign and hopefully you can make a case for not seeing it.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:09 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Angry

I've had two run-ins with the law over the last 15 years that involved either missing or misplaced signs. I went back & did a Polaroid shot (remember those?), went to court & won both cases.
Even without a photo, I'd go to court. If you're polite & say "Your honor" enough times, I'd hope the fine would be reduced.
Good luck. Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:27 AM
FifthElement

Ron is completely right. If you show up, act respectful and honest, and basically throw yourself at the mercy of the court, most judges will lower the fine/points accordingly.

Think of how many people probably made that right turn, even though it was marked off. There were enough making that turn for a cop to be chilling out there waiting for more. He probably got tired of everyone making the turn in violation of the signs and so he started handing out tickets instead of warnings. It happens. And now I bet you wont be making that right hand turn again, so it's effective.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I've had two run-ins with the law over the last 15 years that involved either missing or misplaced signs. I went back & did a Polaroid shot (remember those?), went to court & won both cases.
Even without a photo, I'd go to court. If you're polite & say "Your honor" enough times, I'd hope the fine would be reduced.
Good luck. Ron
Old 11-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

If you go to court, there's also the chance that the cop won't show up, and in many jurisdictions, the case is dismissed if your accuser doesn't appear.

Good luck. This sounds like one of those cases where the law is one thing and justice is another.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 11-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
about that photo

It's only a Friday/Saturday night thing, so it's gonna be setup differently every time you go by it. I went by last night to get a picutre, but everything was gone. In fact, while I was sitting there at the red light, just to rub it in, a car made a right hand turn there It was kinda wierd to see that and remember that I got ticketed for it Well, I guess I'll plan on going to court. Still weighing the option of driving class so that I don't have to worry about the ticket at all. I just feel that if I do that I'm letting them walk on me, and I don't much feel like paying $123 AND getting walked on. I guess I'll go by a week from this coming Friday (won't be here this Friday) to check out the signage. And about the possibility that he got tired of handing out tickets...I'd say that may be. There were 7 cops sitting there (2 on motorcycles, 2 on horses, and 3 on bicycles) right at the corner. Don't know if they were waiting for people to turn there or what. I'm hoping it's just a harsh attempt to make their new traffic control known (since I've heard this traffic control is a new attempt to keep pedestrians safe on this busy street), and that they won't show in court to actually enforce the fine. I won't be turning right there anymore, but it's unfortunate that I have to go through all this hassle now to try to avoid the fine.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me