Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: twin TD04 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
It's definitely doable, I recall seeing a couple swapped Imprezas with that setup. Here's one:

Although the engineer side of my brain cringes at the thought of plopping a heavy turbo on the end of a bunch of piping without anything else to support it.
You can see he has mounts coming off the intake manifold bolts holding it up from a bracket.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM

^yep

saw those too.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Forgive me but would it be practical to remove the airbox and replace it with a cone filter and a turbo?

Also, the windscreen wash fluid reservoir could be scrapped in favour of something smaller crammed in somwhere else.

Without any insight in the matter, I would opt for a setup which did not direct air around and about. I would think that a shorter and straighter flow would be better?

I've just entered a research programme into intercooling.

Wher would you place a MAP?
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM

The more apt solution would be to mount the turbo where a stock ej22T turbo goes, but up it to a GT3071R with the 81mm housing and run a FMIC.

I'm just not a fan of all that heat right near sensitive electronics, so I'm making a twin low-mount setup work for me.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Forgive me but would it be practical to remove the airbox and replace it with a cone filter and a turbo?
I'd say a bit more room is needed than that. The most compact setup I've seen is tapani's, which places the turbo just behind the intake manifold, on the right side. Also, routing the exhaust piping to the turbo may not be too easy there, and you might end up with the uppipe coming uncomfortable close to the steering rack, or other heat-sensitive stuff.

Quote:
Also, the windscreen wash fluid reservoir could be scrapped in favour of something smaller crammed in somwhere else.
Yea, the more room the better. For my build, I'll be relocating/removing:
airbox
ABS pump (ABS delete)
windshield washer reservoir (diverted the pump for the rear tank to the front sprayers)
charcoal canister
battery (moved to trunk)
horns (hella horns in front of radiator)
fuse box will be either turned sideways, or possibly moved into the fender well, still undecided
coolant overflow tank will be swapped for a smaller one in a more convenient spot
All the A/C stuff deleted

I want to have a clean-looking engine bay when all is said and done and I'd like to have as many options available as possible to route the piping.

Quote:
Without any insight in the matter, I would opt for a setup which did not direct air around and about. I would think that a shorter and straighter flow would be better?
You are right, but it tends to be well worth the trade-off to have the air intercooled. Air-to-water intercoolers can be a good compromise. There are a lot of factors, though, when it comes to positioning - turbo has to be up high in order for the oil to drain by gravity without needing a scavenge pump for example.

Quote:
I've just entered a research programme into intercooling.

Wher would you place a MAP?
A MAP sensor is typically built into a standalone ECU, such as a Hydra or megasquirt. You just run a vac line from a port on the intake manifold to it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM

Registered SVX

No, it's not easy, but compact it is .

The steering rack is no problem. Also, the wiring loomes at the top are well protected - both by the heat shield on the turbo and further insulating wrapping. It's all been there for thirteen years now.

See photos.

/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg up pipes.jpg (318.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg from below.jpg (266.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg installed1.jpg (229.8 KB, 297 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

That really is such a good setup for leaving the creature comforts undisturbed. Remind us all what kind of turbo that is, tapani? And how do you feel about it not being intercooled? Also, where do you have the MAF?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Registered SVX

It is a small T4/T3 hybrid. Boost only 5 PSI. I guess it produces around 280 hp, but the low/mid range feels like it should have from the factory.

You can't really tell is blown by driving it. The turbo spools at 1500 rpm - not very easy with the automatic :-).

But for what it is it performes very well, I think.

It would be nice to measure the compressor discharge temperature and see if an IC would be of benefit.

The MAF is in the original position. The bypass valve is practically the only give a way at a quick glance. See photo.

/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine bay.jpg (330.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 05:12 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
It is a small T4/T3 hybrid. Boost only 5 PSI. I guess it produces around 280 hp, but the low/mid range feels like it should have from the factory.

You can't really tell is blown by driving it. The turbo spools at 1500 rpm - not very easy with the automatic :-).

But for what it is it performes very well, I think.

It would be nice to measure the compressor discharge temperature and see if an IC would be of benefit.

The MAF is in the original position. The bypass valve is practically the only give a way at a quick glance. See photo.

/T
Just to understand the basics: 100% of the exhaust is routed through the turbo at all times but it starts spooling at 1500 rpm (when the gas is suffeciently hot / dense / volumous)?
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Just to understand the basics: 100% of the exhaust is routed through the turbo at all times but it starts spooling at 1500 rpm (when the gas is suffeciently hot / dense / volumous)?
Well until the set 5PSI boost level is achieved on the compressor side - then the waste gate opens and let's part of the exhaust flow bypass the turbine side (which drives the compressor) of the turbo.

In my case the waste gate is an integral part of the turbine casting, but it works the same way as so called external ones.

A pneumatic actuator opens a valve and let's part of the exhaust flow pass the turbine inlet.

The turbine and compressor side details must be separately selected for the application at hand to get the target results.

/T
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM

I recall in another thread you were hitting fuel cut on 5psi. What's your ecm solution, LAN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Well until the set 5PSI boost level is achieved on the compressor side - then the waste gate opens and let's part of the exhaust flow bypass the turbine side (which drives the compressor) of the turbo.

In my case the waste gate is an integral part of the turbine casting, but it works the same way as so called external ones.

A pneumatic actuator opens a valve and let's part of the exhaust flow pass the turbine inlet.

The turbine and compressor side details must be separately selected for the application at hand to get the target results.

/T
Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Registered SVX

With the stock fuel system I hit fuel cut at 5000 rpm and 5 PSI.

I now run Deatchwerks 370cc injectors, stage 2 chip from Mike and the Nissan MAF.

Works pretty well. At WOT (and 5PSI) AFR is 13ish until app 4500-5000 rpm and then app 12.2-12.4 up to shift point @ 6800 rpm.

/T
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Wow nice, you're running it out to 6800? Do you have cams to let it breath that high?

I don't recall ever seeing a build thread of your car.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 AM

Registered SVX

No, but that's where the full throttle shift points are, yes? Maybe my memory is off, I don't do that very often :-).

The turbo was installed in 2000 by the previous owner.

You can follow the JDM drive train + TBDs if you look for the "traction project" in the tranny section. http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...project&page=2

And some basic info under "Toy" here in turbo..... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=toy

Some of the head gasket stuff was here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61822

The engine runs much better now (after the overhaul) than before - and feels stronger by butt dyno :-)

/T
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Ah, I see. Thanks, I recall you chiming in in the past, and reading a bit about your car, just not a whole dedicated thread.

Thanks for the reading material

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: