Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Ice's fully-baked turbo build

Yes very cool, I too will follow this closely
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

Very satisfied and proud of myself.
As you should and I am too (of you !). Great stuff !

All the best from Finland,

Tapani
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

[QUOTE=icingdeath88;715069](Posted in the "What have you done to your SVX today?" thread, but also wanted to cross-post it here for posterity.)

Quote:
Stayed up until [7]AM last night going through wiring diagrams, pinouts, and the actual wires of my spare engine and body harnesses getting the megasquirt wiring figured out. Pleased to say that I have it about 95% figured out. All that's left to figure out is:
1: whether the crank and cam sensors need any resistors to get a good enough signal to the megasquirt, and there's no real way to make sure of that without actual experimentation.
The signal from the sensors should be fine, they out-put a voltage that is common with most devices.

Quote:
and 2: how to wire up the IRIS solenoid, which I will probably leave until later because it's not needed to just get the car running. The stock ECU has a constant, switched +12V going to one pin on the solenoid, and grounds the other at the ECU to switch it on (closes the IRIS valve) above 2200 and below 4000 RPMs. The megasquirt has many spare outputs that I can use for this, but I am slightly confused about whether some of them provide ground or power (and if so, whether they are +12V or +5V), and a lot of them are PWM, which I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate to use to drive the solenoid. Probably need to post up on the MS forums for an answer to that one.
I would think that the switched out-puts are probably programable. Can be made to hold up to voltage or pulled to ground, or Tristate. It can pull it to ground, regardless if 12V or 5V, there is not a lot of current.

Quote:
I will start actually wiring it up tonight, and post my wiring diagrams and such very clearly and with plenty of explanation soon, once I have verified that it (at least mostly) makes real-world sense.

Very satisfied and proud of myself.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
The signal from the sensors should be fine, they out-put a voltage that is common with most devices.
Yes, but I have seen a lot of posts on the MS forums of people with EJ22/25s using the 6/7 crank wheel, they need resistors to function properly, and one or two posts from people with EG33s, that also used resistors, and one or two EG33 posts, that do not mention using any resistors. The guy who wired up Matt's I actually found a post of his that said that they had some problems which were resolved by adding a resistor. Matt's got a MS2, not an MS3. The MS3 I think has more refined VR conditioning components, so it may very well not need anything. No way to know without trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I would think that the switched out-puts are probably programable. Can be made to hold up to voltage or pulled to ground, or Tristate. It can pull it to ground, regardless if 12V or 5V, there is not a lot of current.
Oh, I'm certain it will be able to do it, just not sure how to set it up yet. Need to research it, and which output wire is the appropriate one to use for it. Also I need to get more familiar with the software, and some of the electrical terminology, so I know a bit better what I'm doing.

I did notice there are several PWM outputs, that are programmable to a duty cycle of 0-100%, under basically whatever conditions you want. Some are only ground switching, but some (IACV for one) are +12 or ground switching depending on what you set a jumper to. Would a duty cycle of 100% mean just held to ground the entire time? Because, if so, then that will work fine for what I want to do. Probably have to use the VVT pin on the MS, since I'll of course have no use for it. And that is one of the pins that can handle a decent amount of current if needed.

Thanks for the input, Harvey.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Yes, but I have seen a lot of posts on the MS forums of people with EJ22/25s using the 6/7 crank wheel, they need resistors to function properly, and one or two posts from people with EG33s, that also used resistors, and one or two EG33 posts, that do not mention using any resistors. The guy who wired up Matt's I actually found a post of his that said that they had some problems which were resolved by adding a resistor. Matt's got a MS2, not an MS3. The MS3 I think has more refined VR conditioning components, so it may very well not need anything. No way to know without trying it.
The out put of the inductive sensors is really a voltage signal, not like a Hall effect out-put that can switch a transistor. They don't have the current to drive a transistor base circuit, they have to drive a high impedance input. like a 47K resistor, so that only the voltage signal gets through. This decouples the current from the input circuit, so it does not short the signal voltage to ground.

Quote:
I did notice there are several PWM outputs, that are programmable to a duty cycle of 0-100%, under basically whatever conditions you want. Some are only ground switching, but some (IACV for one) are +12 or ground switching depending on what you set a jumper to. Would a duty cycle of 100% mean just held to ground the entire time? Because, if so, then that will work fine for what I want to do. Probably have to use the VVT pin on the MS, since I'll of course have no use for it. And that is one of the pins that can handle a decent amount of current if needed.
Thanks for the input, Harvey.
The PWM outputs are for driving some thing that is variable, positioning, moving, adjusting. EGR, Purge, etc. The switched output would be better for turning some thing on or off.
I'll have to read up on the new Squirter.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

Looking good ice. hit me up if you have any questions when you get to FI.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
Looking good ice. hit me up if you have any questions when you get to FI.
I have a couple already actually.

What brand/model of intercooler did you get, that fit and worked well? Or what dimensions?

You used an RRFPR. What brand/model or what type did you get and how did you connect it up?

Thanks a lot in advance
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, well my LS2 coils got here yesterday, so I have some more wiring up to do. I decided to run completely new wires and plugs for the injectors and coils and I think I've got a way to route all the wires really nice and clean. I also separated some of the sensors and the IACV, but some of the sensors I left on the stock harness (oil press. sensor, cts, and gauge cts), and I'll be using a break-out board for those. I took pictures of all of the connectors and I'll be writing up precisely what I did later tonight when I have the papers with my scribbles and diagrams in front of me.

I think I've decided to put the Megasquirt in the glove box, if I can figure out how to get the wires from there to the engine bay in a nice clean way. So, it seems like a plan's coming together.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=oab_au;715150]
Quote:

The out put of the inductive sensors is really a voltage signal, not like a Hall effect out-put that can switch a transistor. They don't have the current to drive a transistor base circuit, they have to drive a high impedance input. like a 47K resistor, so that only the voltage signal gets through. This decouples the current from the input circuit, so it does not short the signal voltage to ground.

The PWM outputs are for driving some thing that is variable, positioning, moving, adjusting. EGR, Purge, etc. The switched output would be better for turning some thing on or off.
I'll have to read up on the new Squirter.

Harvey.
Just checked last night, the PWM outputs can be set to on/off in software. I'll probably use the VVT wire for the IRIS control, since I surely won't be using it for VVT control :/

Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Registered SVX

Overdue for some pics:

These two oil galley plugs (below) are the same thread as the adapter for the the stock oil pressure sensor. You could grab an extra one of those from another engine, or one of these to add a sensor or two under the intake manifold, if you have enough room. I have the outlaw engineering phenolic spacers, which are 1/4" each, so my intake manifold is 1/2" higher than stock, so I should have plenty room. The prosport pressure sensor is still almost too tall to fit under the IRIS diaphragm, but I think it will just barely clear it. The temp sensor is tiny, any will do fine. The better thing to do might be to put the prosport pressure sensor where the stock one is, and move the shorter stock one to one of the galley plugs. Currently I have the sensors for my gauges in an oil filter sandwich adapter. My plan when I swap in the new engine, is to move those to the galley plugs, and put in an oil cooler, either using a sandwich adapter and an air cooler, or a OEM WRX oil/water cooler style one, and put in another return line to the water pump for it.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Registered SVX

Excuse me Is that in your bed room next to your bed
U lucky guy. That is a beautiful site to see. What body is that going in?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Excuse me Is that in your bed room next to your bed
U lucky guy. That is a beautiful site to see. What body is that going in?
Haha, no that's an extra bed being stored in the garage, on top of a pool table, with some old blankets to protect them.

It's going in the blue one. And thanks, I think it looks great too.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

:/ I was THIIIISSS close to coming down next week to visit fam and see the progress on this, but I can't make it due to finals

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Registered SVX

Sucks, man. Well, anyway, it's probably going to stay as it is for a while, so you're not really missing much. Can't put together the timing stuff, since the cams that will go in are in the car now. Along with one valve cover, since one cracked in the accident that claimed my white one. Oil pan can't go on yet, since I gotta have an oil return welded in for when there's a turbo. Exhaust manifolds I probably won't put on till after the engine's mounted to the subframe, since it will be easier without them in the way. And the right exhaust manifold needs the EGR plugged somehow. The tube won't unbolt, otherwise I'd just take it out and put a bolt in instead...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Registered SVX

In post #70 I talked about some places to put an oil temp or pressure sensor. Here's another idea for a temp sensor location if one of those I mentioned doesn't work: http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/ind...sorAdapter.htm

Just thought it was interesting and wanted to post it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: