Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Hopefully not my last Reading but if this keeps up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Thats a bit harsh Ben, I thought the majority were in very good shape. Maybe 4 or 5 that were pretty rough.

The turnout was small though, I am guessing 10-20 cars less than Reading 10.
How many SVX in Reading this year? 10-20 less is how many?

Also, I agree with Earl, maintenance meets are an answer .

Nothing feels better than to fix the little stuff, and even better, to help someone else with the little stuff that otherwise would be neglected

To stop the downward spiral, the upward spiral needs a push.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Actually, the average distance driven has definately gone down. It wasn't so much of a lack of cleanliness or polish but rather countless cars that I couldn't even talk my inspection guy into stickering and yes he stickered my TVR when it barely moved under its own power. Many of these cars were in the exact same state of disrepair as last year. As Mike said it isn't so much a cut on anyone there but rather the sad realization of how quickly the herd is thinning.

Yeah the TVR does fit nicely on top of a flat bed. It isn't the easiest thing to get there though. Quite a few got to take it for a spin, only hiccup was a certain Tom forgetting to turn the radiator fan on but not being to worried as it neared 140 degrees. He didn't realize it was celcius. Maybe he can change that out when he puts a 302 in it this fall. You know I do try to get cars down to a managable weight.
Without actually attending the event, I 'figured' that the numbers would be down from looking at my OWN bank book!
I used to wash my cars every week, now I'm so busy trying to replace the lost income, that the cars get washed when I can't see out the windows.
Everything I try to do costs more and takes longer! I also have a lot less 'disposable' income over the last 3 years!
I'm still working the same job, but my income from it has dropped over $12,000!
My SVX still needs the same paint it needed when I bought it, I have the paint. What I am lacking is the TIME to make it ready for paint.
Times are TOUGH!! (at least in MY world)
I'm sure that a LOT of other members are feeling the 'pinch'.
My SVX had 222K on it when I got it! I have added to the numbers, it's still kinda ugly, but I will keep working on it and playing with it till I get it back into shape. THEN I will drive it to Reading.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Maniac modifier

I have to agree with Ben here... For the last 3-4 years my motivation to keep my cars up and to make them better has primarily been driven by this site and its members. Friendly competition drove the mods while superior examples of class and aesthetics drove the need to keep it nice.

When member devotion and will-power to do the unreasonable to keep the cars on the road and keep them in *good* shape dwindled, my efforts to do the same did as well. Primarily in the past there was a tight knit group of owners who really did do a good job of this, they have all but been vacant from the site and sparse at meets, which now are few and far between.

Maintenance meets are a nightmare... trust me. I have seen what you do at your maint. meets out west, I like it a lot. Quite frankly, a maint meet out here has always been a smash and grab attempt at cheap/free labor when the participant blew past the line of being reasonable and would *get stuck* Two very different worlds, the East and West coasts. Hell, out East when I finished a job under time people asked what took so long... When I was out west it was a shock

Either way, group attendance and moral was way down this year from last... Who in the hell thought it appropriate to have a rolling parts car in the lot? There were parts scattered around like a 2yr old's play room.

I had a good time with good people, but it was no Reading... If it cannot turn around for the better soon I feel also this may have very well been my last. People can argue that I didn't drive my SVXi there... but quite frankly, I like driving the M5 more than the SVX and I didn't really come for people to see my cars.

Tom
Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

Tom, Ben, Diana, somebody,
Change the weekend, forget the tradition,

Did anyone get a car count, how many attended?

As for our 'national SVX weekend', you can add 15 cars to the Reading total, that is the number that made the SoCal meet this past weekend .
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston

'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I have to agree with Ben here... For the last 3-4 years my motivation to keep my cars up and to make them better has primarily been driven by this site and its members. Friendly competition drove the mods while superior examples of class and aesthetics drove the need to keep it nice.

When member devotion and will-power to do the unreasonable to keep the cars on the road and keep them in *good* shape dwindled, my efforts to do the same did as well. Primarily in the past there was a tight knit group of owners who really did do a good job of this, they have all but been vacant from the site and sparse at meets, which now are few and far between.

Maintenance meets are a nightmare... trust me. I have seen what you do at your maint. meets out west, I like it a lot. Quite frankly, a maint meet out here has always been a smash and grab attempt at cheap/free labor when the participant blew past the line of being reasonable and would *get stuck* Two very different worlds, the East and West coasts. Hell, out East when I finished a job under time people asked what took so long... When I was out west it was a shock

Either way, group attendance and moral was way down this year from last... Who in the hell thought it appropriate to have a rolling parts car in the lot? There were parts scattered around like a 2yr old's play room.

I had a good time with good people, but it was no Reading... If it cannot turn around for the better soon I feel also this may have very well been my last. People can argue that I didn't drive my SVXi there... but quite frankly, I like driving the M5 more than the SVX and I didn't really come for people to see my cars.

Tom
I have 37 cars and trucks. I noticed last week, that the only car I drive that makes the cops look again is the SVX!
It has all the parts and the only thing 'different' is the primer spots everywhere.
They seem to be 'attracted' by the profile. It looks the same as it did 2 years ago when we met at the 'Pumpkin Carve'. (I Think that YOU moved the dealer tag).
I take pride in my sorry specimine. I actually knocked a LOT of dents out of it before that day!
I just 'recieved' the box of Knock Sensors the other day. I will enjoy the car a lot more once they are installed.

I just walked outside and looked at it again a few minutes ago.
It looks like it needs some 'love'. It also looks kinda like it would EAT anything that got too close!
If someone would not know that it had already covered 222K miles, they might think that it was 'rough'. MOST cars with that mileage would have been run through the 'Press' and been sent back as a new Kia!

It will be a while before it becomes 'pretty'. It WILL be the sweetest looking 222K car at Reading Next year!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 04-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
How many SVX in Reading this year? 10-20 less is how many?
Quote:

As for our 'national SVX weekend', you can add 15 cars to the Reading total, that is the number that made the SoCal meet this past weekend .
I believe the highest count was 32, incuding the rolling "parts car"

Still not a bad turnout, considering a lot of "regulars" couldn't make it this year.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

There are highs and lows... in everything.

-Sov13t.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Guess I'll chime in. I have to agree with Subi-crosser, a lot of us are broke right now. That's my excuse for not going this year. Last year I went on the wrong weekend Yes, I'm not the most social member or active poster but don't say I'm not proud of my SVX. I don't hide it, I just can't afford to have it on the road as often as I'd like. After 130k of DD use time has also come to turn the clock backwards. If it has to sit till finances get better so be it, better than running it into the ground. That's what legacys are for

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
There are highs and lows... in everything.

-Sov13t.
My new favorite quote..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I didn't have the funds or time to go this year but I would have loved to had been there. Instead, we did have ourselves a little INdy SVX meet thanks to Nate for getting that together

My SVX has been a WIP since I've gotten it in May of 2008, has had a few accidents (now with side rear qtr. panel damage that hasn't been repaired) and aside from the upkeep costs over the past few months, aesthetically it is not the best but it is on the way to being a much nicer beast than when I first got it! (and in the meantime, a much more reliable beast)

I'm not here complaining about the issues I've encountered or may encounter, just that keeping the thing driving alone is a chore in itself. (most probably due to lack of proper caring for by the previous owner) Battery, Alternator, PS Pump, Radiator, O2 Sensors, Coil Packs and Rims (to replace cracked one) takes a fair toll on the wallet over the course of a single year.

I think showing up to Reading alone is showing pride in ownership of these cars, especially those who travel many many miles to get to such a gathering. As far as others, they could have dropped the ever problem riddled cars or let them rot altogether but the small amount of dedicated drivers and owners here continue to strive, some more painfully than others, to keep these cars on the road. That alone says a lot.

With that said, I'm guessing by this time next year I personally will have had my paint job done, dents and dings ironed out and interior beefed up with new carpet/seats. It shall be pretty for Reading XII but mostly, it'll be awesome to meet up with a ton of like minded people!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Tom, Ben, Diana, somebody,
Change the weekend, forget the tradition,

Honestly, changing the weekend (or month as its changed quite a bit over the years in April) will probably mean an end to Reading quite quickly. Only other months might be Sept/Oct. Do you really want to stand in a parking lot when it is 100 degrees (I've been there and done that at the 10th meet. I won't do that again). Most of the other months are vacation and family months for many so they're pretty much out of the question. As for moving it, that's not my decision nor do I want it to be. I've given up working on planning the event years ago because it simply only leads to headaches because no one will be happy. If you want to move it feel free, just from experience, you won't get the turn out you would in April.

As for a maint. meet. Brilliant idea, drive a beater car with rusted 1000 miles to do the work you should have done in a proper shop only to break 3 bolts off and then have to take it to a shop in Reading. Why didn't I think of that one!. As Tom said, there is your difference between east and west coast cars.

Like I said, if you haven't been to Reading, now is the time to go. Pretty soon they'll only be a handful of cars able to go and an even smailler number willing to go.

I'm sure most people hate me and my arrogance for simply speaking the truth. Maybe I'm wrong but sadly, I don't see how I am.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

There is more than a nugget of truth in both the positive side and the negative side being debated here.

As Reading has assumed the mantle of the nearest thing to a US national meet, the maintenance and swap meet part of the event should neither be dissed nor discarded. This is the only time so many members actually get to meet one another, so why not use part of the meeting time to do small maintenance jobs and let members swap parts.

Just keep this aspect of the Meet in proportion and keep the auto jumble swap meet part off to one side like is normally done, to avoid untidying up the place.

Also the numbers turning up and the quality of cars turning up will both go downhill as the cars get older and the owner profile changes.

Don't b1tch about it, just get used to it. It's called reality.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Honestly, changing the weekend (or month as its changed quite a bit over the years in April) will probably mean an end to Reading quite quickly. Only other months might be Sept/Oct. Do you really want to stand in a parking lot when it is 100 degrees (I've been there and done that at the 10th meet. I won't do that again). Most of the other months are vacation and family months for many so they're pretty much out of the question. As for moving it, that's not my decision nor do I want it to be. I've given up working on planning the event years ago because it simply only leads to headaches because no one will be happy. If you want to move it feel free, just from experience, you won't get the turn out you would in April.

As for a maint. meet. Brilliant idea, drive a beater car with rusted 1000 miles to do the work you should have done in a proper shop only to break 3 bolts off and then have to take it to a shop in Reading. Why didn't I think of that one!. As Tom said, there is your difference between east and west coast cars.

Like I said, if you haven't been to Reading, now is the time to go. Pretty soon they'll only be a handful of cars able to go and an even smailler number willing to go.

I'm sure most people hate me and my arrogance for simply speaking the truth. Maybe I'm wrong but sadly, I don't see how I am.
Sadly, you can't be too far wrong. The SVX is well past its prime, and most examples on the road today have been repaired/restored in some way, or, in process of falling off the road. The truth is, someone needed to have the guts to blow the horn, to sound the alarm, to rally the troops, and you did . Hopefully, your posts will be a wake up call, somehow, someway.

As for maintenance, I understand what you are saying. There is always a risk working on a car, even on a small project, that something will break, or somehow the job requires something not available. Another problem is that many of those who do know how to fix the little stuff actually work on cars everyday, and the meet is a time to relax, and enjoy their SVX. If maintenance was part of the program, the list of maintenance items would have to be short and previously established.

It seems that one year, svxfiles adjusted TPS. I liked that idea, as theoretically, everyone's car idled and ran better, and many could be grateful that one of the SVX guru masters touched their car. The negative flip, is when people expect more while being ungrateful for what was received.

I believe that Earl has had maintenance meets for things like o-rings, bulbs, etc., but, it seems the same decline in meet numbers is happening in the NorthWest. Yet, it seems that there is a simple list of SVX problems/diseases that we can repair/irradicate, that no car should suffer, which would be an incentive for owners to attend meets. If an owner returns home in a better SVX, say the map light bulbs now work, that's a since of pride and SVX community. As for beaters, no worries, most won't be around to make the meet next year, but, that's exactly what you are shouting, "Pretty soon they'll only be a handful of cars able to go and an even smailler number willing to go".

I don't have the answers, but I agree with you, now is the time to discuss the future

Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'd like to believe there is a bright future for the svx. It's a beautiful car with much potential and I refuse to believe that the end is near. Highs and lows to everything and I'm sure we'll see an influx of cars and more members sooner or later. We just have to wait..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Wow, I'm sorry I drove the 1000 mile trip in my $500 SVX that has rusted out doors, rusting quarter panels, dented drivers side fender, dented hood and a dent in the roof that I saved from being parted out because some kid really was f***ing the sh!t out of it for the few months he had it before "luckily" the front diff blew on it and he couldn't screw it up anymore. But currently its the one that is in the best mechanical condition. 1 month ago this car wasn't even on the road and yet I put 2400 miles on it this weekend to come out and meet up with people that I've been able to gain strong friendships from. Everyone on here is soooo worried about driving their SVX that they have owned for years even 500 miles or sometimes even less to get to a meet in fear that something might happen due to the age of the cars. Yet I had no real worries about taking this car that I just picked up all that distance.

People come here for the friendships/people than anything, plain and simple!!! Last year I had to bring a Durango and spent as much on gas as it probably would be to have put 4.44 gears in my silver (which still currently remains with a blown high clutch). But I wanted to come and meet the people that I have talked to even though at that time last year, I had only been on the forum for about 6 months. I went there last year and didn't know anyone really and felt somewhat of an outsider but left with a few new friends and met a lot of great people. Those same people that have helped me out with my "adventures" over the past couple months. I could care less if there weren't any SVX there at all, as long as it remained a place that old friends could meet up again once a year and just have a great time doing whatever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: