Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

will ship the loaner sensors tomorrow with a couple other items.

The evap system on the other side of the valve goes through the charcoal canister and then to a check valve before the fuel tank then into the tank. It keeps excessive pressure from building in the tank and runs the fumes through the charcoal canister to clean it before it is pulled into the intake plenum. Without the vacuum the pressure will be bled into the canister and from the canister to the solenoid. It will the vent from the broken nipple on the solenoid under the hood. You can leave it this way or you can route the hose to vent elsewhere.

Tom
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Help!! I'm going to get hit by a semi truck!! Random stalling, stumbling idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
will ship the loaner sensors tomorrow with a couple other items.

The evap system on the other side of the valve goes through the charcoal canister and then to a check valve before the fuel tank then into the tank. It keeps excessive pressure from building in the tank and runs the fumes through the charcoal canister to clean it before it is pulled into the intake plenum. Without the vacuum the pressure will be bled into the canister and from the canister to the solenoid. It will the vent from the broken nipple on the solenoid under the hood. You can leave it this way or you can route the hose to vent elsewhere.

Tom
Tom you have forgotten about the hose that runs off the bottom of the canister, you know the one that is connected to nowhere.
The tank breathes through the carbon canister and out this hose to atmosphere. When the Purge solenoid opens, the manifold vacuum pulls air up through this hose, to pull the fumes into the intake, to clean the carbon. It won't get to the solenoid.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Tom you have forgotten about the hose that runs off the bottom of the canister, you know the one that is connected to nowhere.
The tank breathes through the carbon canister and out this hose to atmosphere. When the Purge solenoid opens, the manifold vacuum pulls air up through this hose, to pull the fumes into the intake, to clean the carbon. It won't get to the solenoid.

Harvey.
I figured there was something I was missing... I just wanted to be on the safe side

Tom
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

There is a part mounted to the coolant rail (top of engine block) with a big tube that connects to the top of throttle body and intake snorkel on the other end?? It is the tube that mounts opposite side of the purge vapor return. What is this guy? I know the car won't run if it is disconnected so what happens if this part goes bad?

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but any chance I can re-use my 1 month old intake gaskets??

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Maniac modifier

You could reuse them... but after you do, check for leaks to be sure.

That is the aux idle air valve which feeds off the R/S(driver's side) of the TB. It helps allow extra air flow during cold starts.

tom
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX

I took the cap off of the aux. air valve and noticed that it was also in the half-open state (just like the by-pass air under the throttle body was.) Don't know if it is supposed to be. The spring inside seemed weak, like it should be holding it closed unless a signal forced it open. Is this how the aux. air works?

What would happen if it would fail? Symptoms? Fast idle? Crappy running? Hiccuping idle? Misfiring? Stalling?

Buttoned the car back up tonight, (w/o the purge solenoid.). Crossing my fingers that I have not forgotten something. Still need to re-install alternator, battery and reconnect the doo-hicky under the rear seat for fuel system.

Thanks,
Mac

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Maniac modifier

As far as I understand it, the aux idle air controller is mounted on the water pipe because it is assisted by the temp of the coolant to determine optimal open/closed position

Tom
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
What would happen if it would fail? Symptoms? Fast idle? Crappy running? Hiccuping idle? Misfiring? Stalling?

Thanks,
Mac
I believe it would only give you a high idle..... if it were stuck open. The air it provides to the intake is also taken from the intake stream that is behind the MAF, so the total air intake is still monitored by the MAF and fuel added accordingly.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Registered SVX

Does anyone know the DVOM test specs for the coils??? Trying to eliminate everything. What is the procedure for checking the primary and secondary windings, if any? Ohms? Voltage?

I tested the passenger or "airbox side" coils and got a reading on the two connector pins of 1.0-1.1 ohms.

Buttoned the car back up tonight. All underside of manifold vac lines replaced, egr vac lines replaced. FPR to manifold vac line replaced. Runs just as crappy as before.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Maniac modifier

sounds about right on the coils... typically they fail due to exposed wires at the base of the coil. I would need to check the FSM's before I told u it was spot on, but if they spec out to be the same on all coils I would say they are prob OK

Tom
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Registered SVX

Tom,

I recieved the crank and cam sensors today. Thank you, thank you. I can Paypal you the money for the shipping if you'd like.

I will try one-at-a-time tonight and report back.

Thanks again,

Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Registered SVX

Nope,

No dice with the loaner crank and cam sensors. Runs exactly the same... same missfire, no stalling yet but I'm sure it will still do it. My feeling is that if I can't solve the one the other will still occur.

I've got a notion to replace TPS and MAF even though they spec out fine with the DVOM tests.

Something funny did happen though. Last night (before trying the new crank/cam sensors) I accidentally started and ran the car with the diagnostic pin still in port #2 and I got a new code for MAF. Have never had that code before. Is this a fluke as I forgot to unplug the pin before running the engine, or did the gremlin finally rear its head?????

The only other code I am getting is the code for the purge control solenoid, (because it is unplugged.)

Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Maniac modifier

I should have a good MAF around here somewhere... gotta find one, test it, and I can send that out too. This way when you are done, if you want to buy the loaner you can just send a check back with the other sensors

Tom
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Registered SVX

Tom,

That would be great! Thanks for the help. It is most appreciated.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Maniac modifier

a friends of Todd's is a friend of mine, no problem

Tom