SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: transmission problem revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92_LSL View Post
no once it is warmed up and you put in ANY GEAR it will not move, it will just sit there even when you press the gas

Slips only under load? In all gears or which gear?
all gears and yes only under load
Thank you,

Provided that the fluid level is OK, hope that something within the valve body and which can be accessed easily, is causing low line pressure. Otherwise you are up for a rebuild, in which case make sure that you are not taken for a ride.

Whatever you do, first check for diagnostic codes before giving up hope.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
there is a small hole where the flywheel is visible. i was looking at it earlier and it looked like the flywheel was wobbling at low rpm's. what i was saying about the torque converter is that the pump that circulates the transmission fluid messed up and was not supplying enough fluid and the torque converter took a crap. that is what my transmission guy said (excuse me if i said anything stupid, i really don't know anything about automatic transmissions).
I agree with what 'your transmission guy' said.

The pump has been damaged, and can not supply enough pressure, to hold the clutch on, when the oil is hot.

Sadly, time for a 4.44 change.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I agree with what 'your transmission guy' said.

The pump has been damaged, and can not supply enough pressure, to hold the clutch on, when the oil is hot.

Sadly, time for a 4.44 change.

Harvey.
The point here is that money is no doubt scarce, and it is logical and sensible to be absolutely sure before making a very large commitment.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 PM

i don't really have the money for a 4.44 swap unless i can get the transmission and rear diff for $400.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
i don't really have the money for a 4.44 swap unless i can get the transmission and rear diff for $400.
ok, not being sarcastic anymore... You should be able to find a trans and diff for 500. And it really isn`t all that tough to r&r a trans on your own to be honest. I did it on my own in 2 days in 40 degree temps in my driveway with just a socket set and a couple wrenches
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 PM

i am sorry for getting frustrated. but i just got the car a month ago and i don't know anything about subarus, i used to work on hondas. they are simple. but anyways me and my friend can get the tranny in, it's the hassle of messing with the rear diff that is turning me off to a 4.44 swap.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
i am sorry for getting frustrated. but i just got the car a month ago and i don't know anything about subarus, i used to work on hondas. they are simple. but anyways me and my friend can get the tranny in, it's the hassle of messing with the rear diff that is turning me off to a 4.44 swap.
I hear ya, my trans failed about 3 months after I got mine and I've been driving it around with just 1st and 2nd gear for about 15 months now since I almost never need to do any highway driving. I actually R&Red the trans because I thought my flexplate was bad but it turned out to be rod knock. I sure was not happy, thats for sure. It was my first car that wasn't GM, much less an import and a Subaru. But, I've learned so much from this forum just by searching through loads of information trying to get to what I was looking for as well as just logging on everyday and just reading and learning about other people's problems. It's led me to get a parts car which I completely dismantled and kept all usable parts to sell or use for my own car and last weekend picked up another one that needs a new transmission which I will probably fix up and sell.
As for the diff, there is a thread that tells you what to do to modify the the 4.44 to add the LSD from the stock SVX rear diff.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:25 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
As for the diff, there is a thread that tells you what to do to modify the the 4.44 to add the LSD from the stock SVX rear diff.
Considering how little power the back wheels usually have going to them, I would wonder if that part is actually worth the time and effort. How much of a difference does it actually make in the real world? If his goal is just to get the car on the road quickly, then maybe he should skip that part. Also prevents $crewing up something while trying to do it.

Especially since he lives in florida, even in bad rain the traction's never so bad that the back wheels ever really slip, and I've tried.

Last edited by icingdeath88; 02-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM

but i want to keep the all wheel drive, i don't want an over sized honda....
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Registered SVX

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Considering how little power the back wheels usually have going to them, I would wonder if that part is actually worth the time and effort. How much of a difference does it actually make in the real world? If his goal is just to get the car on the road quickly, then maybe he should skip that part. Also prevents $crewing up something while trying to do it.

Especially since he lives in florida, even in bad rain the traction's never so bad that the back wheels ever really slip, and I've tried.
I see your point. And 92 LSL, you would still have the AWD, you just wouldn't have the LSD of the SVX. I don't remember if the rear on the others is open or if it is locking. In either case, you will still have AWD
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM

well i went on the how-to section of the forum and didn't find anything on 4.44 swap
Old 02-08-2010, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
well i went on the how-to section of the forum and didn't find anything on 4.44 swap
The how-to's are in the process of being organized and updated...
This has info for making the 4.44 rear an LSD

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51705

Otherwise, the trans R&R is identical for putting in a differents Subie trans. And swapping out the rear diff is extremely easy. here is how to remove and reinstall is going to be the opposite...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...r+diff+removal
Old 02-08-2010, 02:40 PM

well i see what i have to do. it is gonna suck but it will be better than stock when i am done.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
well i see what i have to do. it is gonna suck but it will be better than stock when i am done.
Yes, it will be better. You will see better mpg around the town and quicker off the line and just slightly worse mpg on the highway from running at a little higher rpm. The higher gear ratio causes less stress and heat on the trans which means the fluid lasts longer and provide better lubrication and protection. It would still be a good idea to install a separate trans fluid cooler and completely bypass the stock trans "cooler" in the radiator...
Old 02-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
...it's the hassle of messing with the rear diff that is turning me off to a 4.44 swap.
You could just get a rear end that's already set up. '01+ Legacy GT auto and I believe any forester xt has a 4.44 vlsd.
I've seen them on Car-part for as little as $100.

Last edited by Maxo; 02-08-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo