Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Fix to losing Clock, A/C, Cigarette lighter and mirrors

This write up is on how to fix the wiring issue in the sun visors.

Tools Needed:
  • 10mm socket and accompanying socket wrench.
  • Phillips head screw driver
  • Wire cutters and hardware of your choice to cap wires.
  • A little patience never hurt either.

The issue is that over time the wires become brittle and eventually lose the plastic covering with constant flexing. This is usually at the point where the hinge rotates. When this happens they short out causing you to lose the following functions:
  • Climate Control lights will light up, but do not work to provide any functionality
  • Clock does not work
  • Sun visor lights do not work
  • Mirror adjustment does not work
  • Cigarette lighter does not work
  • Rear wiper does not work on the intermittent setting

If you look under the driver side kick panel where the fuse panel is you will a fuse in the first column 5th row labeled Cig/Mirror a 20AMP. Remove this fuse and physically check to see that the fuse has popped.

DO NOT JUST KEEP REPLACING THE FUSE this will only result in further electrical damage and possibly a fire.

If the fuse is blown you need to remove the sun visors to physically check the wires for damage. Disconnect the battery before doing so( getting electrocuted is no fun, ask me how I know) Doing this requires only a Phillips head screw driver. Pop out the plastic covers on both sides of the visors. You should see 2 Phillips head black screws. Remove these screws and pull down the accompanying wire. Your wire should not show any signs of damage if your wire looks like below you need to cut the wire and cap it.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263848703

As you can tell this wire has seen better days. I assume this was an issue before I bought the car hence why the sun visors where never hooked up.
The wires are easy to get to and only require a 10mm socket. The only 10mm bolt that needs removing is where the seat belt mounts to the B pillar.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849096

After removing the 10mm bolt seen here (sorry for the dark picture and also I am not sure about auto belts and what it requires. I will go look at my other 94 and see what is different and add it later). Also you need to remove the two screws holding on the grab handle. Just pop the plastic covers off and you see two Phillips head remove these and that is all that is needed to now pop the pleather cover off.

NOTE: The driver’s side does not require the removal of any bolts to access the wire needing to be capped.

You now are ready to cut and cap the wire. You will see a bunch of wires wrapped in tape running down the B pillar. You need to remove this tape carefully making sure not to cut any of the wires.

The wire you are looking to cut is a light green with a red stripe Make sure the wires are not damaged at the point where you cut because there could be wires still melted together further down causing more shorts.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849476

NOTE: You need to do this on both sides! Although the wiring diagram suggests only the one wire is for both sides, this is not true. The driver’s side is easily cut but pulling the wire out of the side and capping it there as it goes across to the dome light.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849905

By capping the wires you are allowing a way to rewire them at a later time. I did not have the parts (mainly the sun visor connectors) to rewire it. Once you are sure you capped the wires, connect the battery and replace the fuse. If done correctly everything should working fine. Once you are sure it is and the fuse does not blow replace all the trim, the o-snap handle, and the seat belt mounting. You are done and now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-01-18 12.14.22.jpg (378.4 KB, 1028 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-01-18 12.20.47.jpg (449.7 KB, 1069 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-01-18 12.15.48.jpg (318.7 KB, 1362 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-01-18 13.24.09.jpg (381.1 KB, 1058 views)

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by svxcess; 10-28-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Re: Fix to losing Clock, A/C, Cig lighter and mirrors

Thanks man.. I will give it a try and hope this is the problem..
Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

I don't see where this procedure will get my visor lights to work. I have much fail. TH

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
I don't see where this procedure will get my visor lights to work. I have much fail. TH
I said if you read that you will have to rewire those. Not a hard task I haven't the connectors to do so I can't offer a walk through on that.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post

This write up is on how to fix the wiring issue in the sun visors.

Tools Needed:
  • 10mm socket and accompanying socket wrench.
  • Phillips head screw driver
  • Wire cutters and hardware of your choice to cap wires.
  • A little patience never hurt either.

The issue is that over time the wires become brittle and eventually lose the plastic covering with constant flexing. This is usually at the point where the hinge rotates. When this happens they short out causing you to lose the following functions:
  • Climate Control lights will light up, but do not work to provide any functionality
  • Clock does not work
  • Sun visor lights do not work
  • Mirror adjustment does not work
  • Cigarette lighter does not work
  • Rear wiper does not work on the intermittent setting

If you look under the driver side kick panel where the fuse panel is you will a fuse in the first column 5th row labeled Cig/Mirror a 20AMP. Remove this fuse and physically check to see that the fuse has popped.

DO NOT JUST KEEP REPLACING THE FUSE this will only result in further electrical damage and possibly a fire.

If the fuse is blown you need to remove the sun visors to physically check the wires for damage. Disconnect the battery before doing so( getting electrocuted is no fun, ask me how I know) Doing this requires only a Phillips head screw driver. Pop out the plastic covers on both sides of the visors. You should see 2 Phillips head black screws. Remove these screws and pull down the accompanying wire. Your wire should not show any signs of damage if your wire looks like below you need to cut the wire and cap it.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263848703

As you can tell this wire has seen better days. I assume this was an issue before I bought the car hence why the sun visors where never hooked up.
The wires are easy to get to and only require a 10mm socket. The only 10mm bolt that needs removing is where the seat belt mounts to the B pillar.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849096

After removing the 10mm bolt seen here (sorry for the dark picture and also I am not sure about auto belts and what it requires. I will go look at my other 94 and see what is different and add it later). Also you need to remove the two screws holding on the grab handle. Just pop the plastic covers off and you see two Phillips head remove these and that is all that is needed to now pop the pleather cover off.

NOTE: The driver’s side does not require the removal of any bolts to access the wire needing to be capped.

You now are ready to cut and cap the wire. You will see a bunch of wires wrapped in tape running down the B pillar. You need to remove this tape carefully making sure not to cut any of the wires.

The wire you are looking to cut is a light green with a red stripe Make sure the wires are not damaged at the point where you cut because there could be wires still melted together further down causing more shorts.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849476

NOTE: You need to do this on both sides! Although the wiring diagram suggests only the one wire is for both sides, this is not true. The driver’s side is easily cut but pulling the wire out of the side and capping it there as it goes across to the dome light.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1263849905

By capping the wires you are allowing a way to rewire them at a later time. I did not have the parts (mainly the sun visor connectors) to rewire it. Once you are sure you capped the wires, connect the battery and replace the fuse. If done correctly everything should working fine. Once you are sure it is and the fuse does not blow replace all the trim, the o-snap handle, and the seat belt mounting. You are done and now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Credit is due for the considerable effort involved here. I for one, will keep pressing for at the very least, a link to be provided within the how-to stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by svxcess; 10-28-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Nice, we need a whole section of these with solutions for all the electrical problems that are common. (I'm patiently waiting for the "all the buttons under the cluster work but do not illuminate with the interior lights" fix!)
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
Nice, we need a whole section of these with solutions for all the electrical problems that are common. (I'm patiently waiting for the "all the buttons under the cluster work but do not illuminate with the interior lights" fix!)
If I had that problem I'd attempt to do a write up but I don't. Not that I am complaining

Old 01-18-2010, 08:19 PM

So I started taking stuff off and noticed that the passenger side plastic visor bracket was straight melted along with the wire connector right above it so I think that was my problem, ha. So I cut and capped the wires and put a fuse in and turned the key and the fuse blew. So then I just took the rear seat side panels off and right at the floor is a connector right under the carpet, so i unplugged them on each side and now the Climate Control works great. So thanks for the help I would have never thought of it.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlieSVX View Post
So I started taking stuff off and noticed that the passenger side plastic visor bracket was straight melted along with the wire connector right above it so I think that was my problem, ha. So I cut and capped the wires and put a fuse in and turned the key and the fuse blew. So then I just took the rear seat side panels off and right at the floor is a connector right under the carpet, so i unplugged them on each side and now the Climate Control works great. So thanks for the help I would have never thought of it.
:P your wires are melted further down on one side?. You have to check physically that the wires are not melted because if they are then your going to keep shorting it regardless. Did you also check the drivers side? Also the plug might have unplugged your dome light and I am not sure what else as those wires are for the interior head lights there I believe. I know for a fact the light brown with red is for the door light that signals the dome lights on when a door is open.

Let me know what that connector did.

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 01-18-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah, Since I have unplugged the plug none of the dome lights or the moon roof work. I im just going to run some new wires right off the plug. So hopefully both of the visor lights work.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlieSVX View Post
Yeah, Since I have unplugged the plug none of the dome lights or the moon roof work. I im just going to run some new wires right off the plug. So hopefully both of the visor lights work.

Yeah sounds like the fuse was replaced and burned out a few times. The wire is probably melted all along the wire. Glad I could help you fix the problem. I hated not having heater or a/c etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
Same here. Already tried the time control module replacement with no luck. No instrument lights, no backlights on climate controls and no shift indicator lights by shifter. Blah!
Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Fix to losing Clock, A/C, Cigarette lighter and mirrors

ALTERNATIVE METHOD

Carefully unbolt the sun visors and pull the wires gently to get at the connectors. Sometimes the wires break up high, right at the pivot point of the sun visor arm. You may have enough slack to attach another length of wire across the break. It all depends upon how high the break is and how much extra slack you have. In my son's pearlie, they were easily seen and I was lucky to be able to repair them without taking anything off.

I just twisted on another length of thin wire, and soldered it with one of those instant "cold heat" soldering guns. I used the liquid electrical tape and brushed on a couple of coats with a small brush. Once dry, I cut a slit in a small piece of foam weatherstrip and laid the connection inside for extra protection. Hooked up the connector and pushed everything back into place.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .