SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX
US over to europan.

Hello

Its me about the transmission.
Now i really confused. One tell me i just ave to change the C-solendion and one say TCU. And when i think i understand, Then its not work?

Can i RELLY use this tranny or NOT?
Can i JUST cange the C-soledion?
Or must i Change the TCU??

Sorry but i relly need help to understand this.
My car is allmost done now, i relly like to drive it again. But i dont understand a thing about this Tranny trouble.

What must i doo and what can bee done?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 08-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: US over to europan.

You have two options.

1.Remove the US trans and install the proper VTD transmission.

2. Experiment and fit a new solenoid C inside the US trans. This is what you have been waiting for, I hope sooner than later someone can get it to you. IF not, I have a used VTD extension housing here, I could send one over if needed but I would rather not take it apart.

Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Registered SVX

Ok. so that is my only option if this can possible work.
To change the tranny rigt now i cant afford. So then i just have to hope for the s-solenoid then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
You have two options.

1.Remove the US trans and install the proper VTD transmission.

2. Experiment and fit a new solenoid C inside the US trans. This is what you have been waiting for, I hope sooner than later someone can get it to you. IF not, I have a used VTD extension housing here, I could send one over if needed but I would rather not take it apart.

Tom

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Phil & Belha

Aside from the *random speculation* about whether changing the C solenoid can enable a Euro TCU can operate a US gearbox properly, there is another issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Euro TCU will not work with the US Speed Sensor 2. So you will need to fit a euro type speed sensor to the US gearbox. That has been done before, there's a long thread about it somewhere.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Aside from the *random speculation* about whether changing the C solenoid can enable a Euro TCU can operate a US gearbox properly, there is another issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Euro TCU will not work with the US Speed Sensor 2. So you will need to fit a euro type speed sensor to the US gearbox. That has been done before, there's a long thread about it somewhere.
It has already been done as far as I know. Harvey helped him set up the appropriate modifications to use the proper speed sensors. If you cannot find a solenoid C for a VTD trans in the next week, let me know and I can ship you the one out of the VTD extension housing I have here

Tom
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:

He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU Just needs the VTD C. solenoid to match. Its the best he can do.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
It has already been done as far as I know. Harvey helped him set up the appropriate modifications to use the proper speed sensors. If you cannot find a solenoid C for a VTD trans in the next week, let me know and I can ship you the one out of the VTD extension housing I have here

Tom
hi tom can you post a pic of the offending solenoid i may have an avenue of supply but i need to see one to confirm correct part

cam
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 PM

Registered SVX

The correct solenoid valve, matching the US transmission is already in place. The next step is lo fit a matching US TCU, and make whatever associated changes are required.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
hi tom can you post a pic of the offending solenoid i may have an avenue of supply but i need to see one to confirm correct part

cam
It is the only solenoid inside the extension housing (back of trans). I do not have a pic on hand

Tom
Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post

cam
There is very little difference between them. The TRANSFER one is normally closed, has a red wire, and has a shorter neck, from the O ring to the flange. It has a number on it. CDB 49.

This is the VTD normally open one, has a yellow wire, the longer neck, and has the number CDA 19.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 AM

Registered SVX

Have some one the part number on this?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX

Last edited by Alex-svx; 08-08-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Tom
It has been done in Europe, but THE C SOLENOID WAS NOT CHANGED and the ORIGINAL N/C SOLENOID RETAINED. A US TCU was installed.

All exactly as i have been stating, over and over.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
He has done the No.2 speed sensor swap Phil, so it is set up to run with the VTD TCU Just needs the VTD C. solenoid to match. Its the best he can do.

Harvey.
Harvey,

The solenoid MUST match the transmission in use, NOT the TCU. The same increasing/decreasing pulse length signal, is applied by both TCU. The "phasing" is NOT reversed.

This IS the very REASON for the different solenoids in respect of the two transmissions. Reversing the action of the solenoids corrects an otherwise incorrect signal, thus preventing the need for any mechanical alteration.

I have explained all this umpteen times. You have accepted my corrections of your previous statements regarding the difference in solenoids. (Without any apology.) But even though at the time, I pointed out in exact detail, the reason for the change in solenoid, obviously you were unable to comprehend.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Phil & Belha

This would be an interesting experiment if it were being done by an SVX expert at their own expense. But we have several respected experts here all giving conflicting advice, arguing over the details and possibly pushing forward their own agendas. This helps nobody.

As far as I can tell, Alex doesn't have a full understanding of the gearbox internals, nor the proposals being discussed, nor of the many, sometimes heated, discussions that have taken place in the past. He just wants to get his car fixed.

I really don't want to get involved in another flame war and I certainly don't want to take sides since I respect all the parties involved.

Swapping the C solenoid and using a Euro TCU to drive a US transmission has never been attempted before. The computer program in the TCU that controls the gearbox was not designed for this and there is a good chance it will not work properly. If Alex is lucky then it may be drivable, but I strongly suspect that in some situations, the 4WD is not going to work as designed.

Putting a US transmission into a European car has been done before. A uk owner did it some years ago. He fitted a US transmission, US rear diff, and US TCU. Some wiring changes were needed, but it worked. After driving the car for a while, he decided that the performance of the US trans was inferior to the European one and he sold the car and bought another. The modified car was bought by someone in Germany.

I think this is a safer option than what is being proposed above. The parts are all designed to work together, the only changes are to the car's wiring loom for the VSS2 and atmospheric pressure sensor. But it's not a massive change. The wiring diagrams are already on the website. Plus, it's been done before, and proven to work.

The absolute best option IMHO is to sell the US parts and obtain the correct Euro parts. Anything else will be substandard compared to the equipment originally fitted to this car.

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter. I really wish Alex good luck in fixing his car and I hope it doesn't end up costing too much.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
This would be an interesting experiment if it were being done by an SVX expert at their own expense. But we have several respected experts here all giving conflicting advice, arguing over the details and possibly pushing forward their own agendas. This helps nobody.

As far as I can tell, Alex doesn't have a full understanding of the gearbox internals, nor the proposals being discussed, nor of the many, sometimes heated, discussions that have taken place in the past. He just wants to get his car fixed.

I really don't want to get involved in another flame war and I certainly don't want to take sides since I respect all the parties involved.

Swapping the C solenoid and using a Euro TCU to drive a US transmission has never been attempted before. The computer program in the TCU that controls the gearbox was not designed for this and there is a good chance it will not work properly. If Alex is lucky then it may be drivable, but I strongly suspect that in some situations, the 4WD is not going to work as designed.

Putting a US transmission into a European car has been done before. A uk owner did it some years ago. He fitted a US transmission, US rear diff, and US TCU. Some wiring changes were needed, but it worked. After driving the car for a while, he decided that the performance of the US trans was inferior to the European one and he sold the car and bought another. The modified car was bought by someone in Germany.

I think this is a safer option than what is being proposed above. The parts are all designed to work together, the only changes are to the car's wiring loom for the VSS2 and atmospheric pressure sensor. But it's not a massive change. The wiring diagrams are already on the website. Plus, it's been done before, and proven to work.

The absolute best option IMHO is to sell the US parts and obtain the correct Euro parts. Anything else will be substandard compared to the equipment originally fitted to this car.

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter. I really wish Alex good luck in fixing his car and I hope it doesn't end up costing too much.
You have hit the nail on the head without beating a dead horse. It will not function as designed but it will not bind the transmission in normal driving situations which can and will cause internal damage.

I agree it would be best to fit a US TCU but where is going to find someone who will be capable of doing the needed wiring changes and do it right?

I personally would put it back to a VTD trans because they work much better than the US variant.

All I am trying to do is get it so he has a car to drive and not worry about breaking the internals because of his binding issues.

Tom