Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-26-2002, 09:28 PM
SVXCAPE

Thumbs up recommend good shop in colorado?

do any of you colorado svxers know of a good shop around the denver area? One that wont try to break the bank I tried the shop search but only came up with one..... thanks for any replies
Old 07-27-2002, 06:30 AM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up Denver Suby shop...

I currently own 3 Subaru's, and have used the same shop for the past 14 years......try...

Wings Stuff
1200 So. Bannock
Denver, Colorado
(303) 777-8658

Mike Hynes is the owner. They have a complete service shop, and a huge supply of used parts. They have worked on all my cars, including my SVX.
They have 3 good wrenches, and have always done quality work.
Never have had any problems with them.

I have a complete set of FSM's (factory service manuals), if I can help you with anything...

P.S. They are near Broadway and Mississippi, near the old Gates plant....
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 07-27-2002, 01:28 PM
SVXCAPE

Thumbs up thanks for the info subymtnguy!

I almost sent you a pm directly but figured I'd see how many colo svxers would post a reply, not many I guess. Other than the wheel bearing, I also probably need to check the timing belt, cam seals water pump, thermostat, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and any other maintenence. I am not sure if any of this was done by previous owners, there is probably no way to tell if it was done either without contacting the previous owner who cannot be found, so I guess I will probably do it all myself except the wheel bearings. Have you done any of this on your own? The only problem I see myself having is I have no garage, a gravel driveway, and no ramps or jackstands(which will be purchased) and no service manuals, so I am sure I will be able to use some tech support. anyway thanks for the reply, my car should be in in a few days, being dropped off in Aurora colo so I will probably take it to get serviced before I bring it back up to the mountains, and mabye the bearing depending on how bad it is, anyway mabye I will drive through Idaho springs on the way back through (I love burgerking) so if you see a white svx its probably me.... sorry for the rambling post, have a nice day
Old 07-27-2002, 06:56 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Sorry for catching this late. If you want a regular shop I have been going to a place called:

Davis Repair
6867 S Emporia
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, CO

It's just behind the new Fay Myers motorcycle on Arapahoe and I-25. I'm actually having them replace my AC compressor next week.

If you want a good Suby dealer, stick with Burt on Broadway (don't have the address on me). They are pricey much like every other dealer, but they are quite nice when you start talking SVX's to them. They also seem to have every dang SVX part known to man in stock, or will have it in less than a day.

Doing the timing belt, waterpump, sparkplugs and other misc things isn't all that hard either. I made a bunch of how-to's when I did mine to help people out if you feel inclined to try it. You can check them out at:

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com

Just go under "My Sunfire/SVX" and then into the "SVX How-To's"

Had a few people follow the timing belt how-to and they all have been succesful.

Good luck,
Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 07-27-2002, 07:59 PM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up misc how to's....

Hi Justin! Got you e-mail...thanks for the update. I know you can't wait to get your car. Sure seems like they are taking their sweet time in getting it here....

When I bought my 92 Pearlie in February, I knew from my test drive that I needed rear wheel bearings, valve cover gaskets and other misc. stuff taken care of. I got all the info I could on wheel bearings from the network search and took it with me to my wrenches in Denver (Wings Stuff). I figured I would let them do the work because if it wasn't right they would make it so....
I watched as Jon did the work...he took his time and read the info I brought him. 4k miles later still no problem. We checked the housings and they were ok, so we just followed the tips etc from the network, and pressed them in.

You can do the valve cover gaskets yourself...kind of tight, but not a big deal if you take your time. Order your parts from subaruparts.com, or 1stsubaruparts.com, and you will save major $ from what it costs from Burts (but they do have a good supply of SVX parts).

Ryan has good how to's, as do other guys on the network. This site has saved me much aggravation and headaches. There are some guys here that really know what they are talking about!

I live out in the woods, and have the same problem you so...no garage; so I have all the heavy stuff done and do small misc. things myself. I have just about got the car up to "my standards", but I am more particular than most.

The SVX is a fine piece of machinery; with a fantastic bullit proof engine. Be prepared to spend time getting everything "up to speed" and you will have car you will really enjoy.

Sorry to be so long winded....

P.S. I will send you an e-mail with my home phone #. I will be glad to help you out anyway I can.
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 07-27-2002, 09:29 PM
SVXCAPE

yeeeeehaw!!!

It now says to be loaded, it is only a matter of time. I'm really close to seeing just how good of a deal I got. It's pretty scary buying stuff off of e-bay, you never know what your gonna get, I did buy it from a dealer (car) who purchased it off of another car dealer, it was his personal car, makes me feel a little better knowing that someone who had alot of money had it and hopefully did proper maintenence, after reading all of the threads on this site I will be very afraid to put the lever into D for the first time, just kidding - no I'm sure there will be some fear which I know will probably go away as soon as i start to roll down the road and have my first svxperience, yes sir just a matter of time........................