Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires

Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Registered SVX
Do I need hub centric rings?

I'm looking at summer wheels and I figure I will need new lug nuts but I don't know if I need hub centric rings.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Do I need hub centric rings?

yes you need them.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

+1 to what Matt said
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Registered SVX

As far as the lugs go do I need the longer ones or should I use the short ones?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Lugs? Nuts or studs? Stock length studs should work fine with any wheel unless you're running some ungodly spacer. You will want to pick up a set of lug nuts though (12x1.25 thread, 19mm hex). The stockers won't fit into smaller holes, plus they look stupid on different wheels.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Registered SVX

Sorry,
I meant lug nuts. I wasn't sure if I needed the long ones or the short ones.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Anything should work, I just have a set of generic chrome ones for my STi wheels. I briefly entertained the thought of some fancy Gorilla spline drive ones, but they cost a wee bit more. ($135-ish)

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Registered SVX

Where's the best place to get them?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I was working at a tire shop at the time, so I just grabbed a set and gave my manager $10. Depends what you want really. If you're just looking for something to do the job any tire shop should be able to help you out.

The spline drive tuner nuts are a bit nicer, and come in different colours if you prefer that. (chrome, black, red, blue...)

I'd say online is the easiest way to buy those. Try here maybe:

http://fastwrx.com/mcsplugnutse.html

And the super-fancy forged alloy nuts:

http://fastwrx.com/forallugnut.html

Note for those: HAND TOOLS ONLY, hand torque, all that good stuff. If anyone ever approaches them with an impact gun go after them with a hammer.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

What is the correct size of the hub centric rings?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

It depends on the wheel. The ring has an inner and outter diameter. The inner should be 76.1 or 76.15 mm (to fit the SVX hub). The outter diameter will fit the wheel you select, so you'll need to get that spec from the wheel manufacturer.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
It depends on the wheel. The ring has an inner and outter diameter. The inner should be 76.1 or 76.15 mm (to fit the SVX hub). The outter diameter will fit the wheel you select, so you'll need to get that spec from the wheel manufacturer.
That seems big. I think the center bore of the wheels I bought are 73mm. Aren't most Subaru's 56.1mm
Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

That sounds right to me. Sorry, it's been quite a while since I checked the fitment chart I had at my old shop. If I had a caliper on me I would just go measure one of my summer wheels that's sitting in my bedroom...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

You absolutely need the hub centric rings for any aftermarket rim for the SVX or any other car. The hub centric rings "center" the wheel on the hub. Without them, the balance of the wheel / tire will be off - the wheel and tire could be balanced perfectly off the car (as is the norm now on a machine), but if the wheel is off - center even just a bit, you will get a vibration. Conventional wisdom used to be that the lug nuts would "center" the wheel to the hub, but that really is not precise enough for well balanced tires on the car.

And speaking of lug nuts, don't use just ANY lug nut!!! There are different lug nuts for different wheels, so match the nuts to your specific wheel - it's the angle of the taper that you need to be concerned with. The length of the lug nut itself should not matter assuming you have a deep enough socket to tighten it with .......

My two cents based on a bit of experience over the years...

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Registered SVX

Which style of lug nuts are better or is it just a matter of preference? It would seem like the allen style would be more prone to getting rusty vs. the spline drive.