How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Re: How good is the SVX for Daily Driver in 4 seasons?

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better winter vehicle as far as driveability and handling in the snow. So I would say that's not a problem. Like I said, I'll drive my wife's Legacy whenever the roads are full of salt etc. But there are not really too many days like that over the course of the winter. If I could not use my wife's car on these occassions, I would just pay a visit to the local do-it-yourself car wash and make sure to keep the wheel wells, the underneath and the body clean and salt free. Drive it, clean it and drive it some more...
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
I guess I never knew that Canadian law required snow tires.

In that case, you are totally good to go. I respect people who say to garage the car and to keep it clean, being rare, low miles, etc... However I believe that cars are made to be driven. Subaru gave it a capable AWD system for exactly this type of thing. And just because you drive it in winter doesn't mean it's going to rust out like TOMORROW. Just keep it clean year-round the best you can, and it will stay nice for a good long while. Put snow tires on it and the only thing you'll have to worry about (snow-wise) in the winter is bottoming it out. A heavy AWD car like this is very confident in snow and I was very impressed with mine this past winter.

I say go for it.
Only law in Quebec. Too bad it's a good law.

SVX does do very well in all weather. I noticed that none of your cars are AWD. If you do decide to drive in winter remember that the SVX is 2020 kg and feels VERY CONFIDANT in the snow. Trouble is stopping. It's easy to over drive conditions until you get experienced with AWD.

All that said with only 14,000 of these cars imported to North America it would be a shame to ruin what seems to be such a clean one. How 'bout dropping the wife & kid at the Metro on bad days & taking her Volvo.

Last edited by SVX_MY_BABY; 08-21-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:39 AM

Registered SVX

i would look after the 97 since its that tidy and rear car. we lucky that here in nz they dnt use salt. they just lay some grit.
see if you can find another svx to use as the beater.
i used mine in all weathers. when very well. the only thing i complain about is the gas it used
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi guys, first post and I can't think of anywhere more appropriate than here.

I'm also looking at picking up an SVX, and this would be a winter DD for me.

Currently I daily drive a 2002 Chrysler 300M Special, which is FWD, but the very low ride height and factory GFX pick up slush on either side of the car and pull it - very disconcerting at speed. I had an accident Christmas Eve in my last 300M, a '99 which fared exceptionally well, but soured me to FWD's limits in the snow (first and only time I've ever lost control of a car). My other car is RWD and frankly would be blasphemy to expose it to salt.

I've been hunting for a good (and interesting!) AWD DD ever since.

To the OP: After reading about the SVX's development in the snow, and lurking about reading some of the posts here, I'm quite confident it will handle your winter weather, expecially with dedicated snows, with aplomb. I live in Buffalo, so I know a wee bit about snow.

Nice to meet you all. -Tom
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
1st one red, 2nd one black

I have driven mine year-round for almost 15 years and only got stuck twice. High centered once on the crusty stuff the plow leaves at an alley approach, and once in deep powder the road dipped down, the snow did not and I was left high and dry. More speed would have helped, but my fault really, both times.
Just my 2 cents.........and South Dakota winters can be difficult. It's a car, drive it.

Years (many) ago, I had a '71 Midget. Like driving a roller skate, but the thing was, if I started it every day, it started, but if I let it sit for a week, it didn't want to start.

Bruce

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad

Hi there , I live in Trois-Rivieres and work in Sorel-tracy . Last winter we had that huge snow storm , remember ?? Many 4 x 4 where in the side of the road while i was having the blast of my life ! I help a Ford Escape that was almost buried cause he lost control . I pull him out ! No worrys for the winter , try the Nokian tires , its like driving on dry road ... they tested them @ 320 km/h on ice in a magasine , and i bought them ... just incredible .