Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 AM

The TiC project SVX

Step 1. Obtain SVX. This example happens to be a Brilliant Red 1995 with just over 42,000 original miles on it. It's the L trim level with the active safety package which gives us AWD and ABS.

Step 2. Install 2008 STi wheels and tires because we had them sitting around. Ideally a lower profile tire would be nice, but we'll play with these for a few days first.

Step 3. We'll get it up in the air and go over everything.

Step 4. Will most likely look at bushings to start, brakes are HIGH on the list, and we think we may have a solution for the rear bar.

Step 5. Springs and dampers. Calculations have already been done for spring rates, now we get to figure out the whole damper thing (some history input would help here if someone knows what bolts in, and what the gotchas are).

Oh, and here's some pics:

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy
Thumbs up Re: The TiC project SVX

Exellent! They look fantastic! Thumbs up.
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: The TiC project SVX

Hurray for '95 brilliant Red L models!!!

I was looking into getting some '08 STi 5-spokes for mine as well......

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

I thought those were Z anniversery wheels for a second.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Are you coming to the Subaru Challenge event in Lafayette this weekend and are you bringing the SVX?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Are you coming to the Subaru Challenge event in Lafayette this weekend and are you bringing the SVX?
Yes, and yes, but we will not be racing it.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Why not??? pansies

I'll be driving mine again. Look me up and say "Hello". I'm confident I'll be the only SVX competing.

Todd
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Why not??? pansies

I'll be driving mine again. Look me up and say "Hello". I'm confident I'll be the only SVX competing.

Todd
Not enough time to go over it and see what needs to be replaced. We've got a couple of clutches and a few other things to do this week so ours will have to wait.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Resident Filmmaker

They're quite similar to the RX-8 wheels I pine over, but probably a good bit pricier

+1

"BMW is the pioneer of character lines?
Whatever. Take a look at my Subaru's windows
and tell me those lines don't have character.
Punk."
Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Very nice look overall.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM

So yesterday and today we got some time to get in up in the air.

Yesterday was new belts, get a lay of the land, and take some measurements. Oh, and I did the 9005 mod as well. It needed it.

Things we know -
  • STi adjustable lateral links will fit in terms of length. I need to check the bore sizes for the bolts, but given the lego-ness of Scoobies I suspect they will work just fine.
  • The 2008 STi rear bar will not fit (not wide enough)
  • The LGT bar rear bar will not fit
  • The older LGT/Outback rear bar will not fit
  • Look at rear endlinks, and what will be required in order to go to an adjustable rear bar. Pretty darn sure an idea I have will work.
  • Emailed Whiteline to see if they have a bar that meets the dimensions we need.

Today was the following:
  • Brake fluid flush
  • Brakes still suck big time. Two foot stand on the whoa pedal will not induce ABS. While this may seem like a good thing that also tells me I'm not getting what I can out of the brakes.
  • BADLY need new rear rotors and pads. Pads and rotors for all 4 corners are on order. Been thinking about a brake project, and am waiting to hear back on some specs from a manufacturer
  • Bushings in the rear need some help. See below.

Bushings:
Fortunately we have the relationships with makers for a number of items. We also have a good bit of experience on new scoobies so we can eyeball quite a bit.

Rear rear diff mount bushings - look to be standard old style R160 bushings. SuperPro makes some and I just got some in. We'll press these in when we get time.

Lower rear trailing arm bushing - These look to be the same as others. We have some from SuperPro here that we can look into pressing in.

Upper rear trailing arm bushings - look to be like what we're used to, but don't have any here. SuperPro does make some though.

Lay of the land in the rear:
Forward rear subframe bushing:

Forward rear diff carrier/Outrigger:

Forward rear subframe and outrigger:

Forward rear diff carrier/Outrigger - looks to be very similar to the setup we're used to. Thus we pulled some Kartboy ones off the shelf. There are two versions - race and comfort. Since we already have some obscenely loud cars we opted for comfort.

There are 3 bushings in this kit - small-thick, big-thick, big-thin. The small-thick works great on the bottom, and the big-thin would work great on the top. Problem is since it's a stud we'd need to drop the carrier to get them on top. We just didn't have time to do that today. We'll do it later. Here's the pics:

Bushings in question:

Small-thick in place:

Back together with small-thick. Notice gap on top that would fit big-thin nicely:
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM

Rear subframe has 4 big bushings that attach it to the chassis. Noticed we had gaps there too. Need to fill those to get rid of the "jigglies" from the rear end.

Pulled the plate and low and behold those spots are perfect for the big-thick bushings that come in the other kit. Problem is there's only 2 in a kit, and we need 4. Not a problem is that Tom@Kartboy has released a kit for the 2008 Impreza that had just those 4 bushings to do the exact same thing. Given the softer nature of the 08 Impreza these are only available in comfort.

The rear subframe bushings are flat on top and mate right to the chassis so nothing goes up there.

Pic of a forward bushing with the lower plate moved out of the way:

The 4 bushings:

The big-thick bushing in its home:

Bushing in its home and buttoned up:

Rear bushining is the same arrangement, but the lower plate has an additional bolt. Here you can see big-thick in it's home and the plate pulled down:

A closer shot:

As for a kit - I will talk to Tom about putting an SVX specific pack together that has 2 small-thick, 2 big-thin, and 4 big-thick.

Overall impression so far:
  • Rear end is more responsive and feels better planted.
  • Jigglies are reduced
  • No increase in NVH that I can hear or feel. Will know tomorrow as we take it to the plant in IN.
  • REALLY need to do lateral links (or bushings) and trailing arm bushings

Other things in the works as of this point:
  • We know the spring rates we would like to target for GT class street car, and for street car that sees some motorsport.
  • We have opened conversation with some folks on good housings for Konis (this seems to be the best way to go at this point, but we'll ask AST about inserts).
  • BBK - I'm not letting this one die. I know there's a solution out there. I just need to work with the right brake company engineer to get it. I'm not interested in it from a stopping distance standpoint as much as I am for a larger/better heatsink standpoint. Afterall, this is a heavy car.
  • Rear bar - not letting this die either. We have some options here.
  • Front bar - in my opinion there's a very good option in Tom@Kartboy. We've been running his prototype rear bar on the 08 STi. It happens to have arms that attach with splines. We could mill the arm shape we need, spline the end of a thicker bar, heat treat it, get some bushings and go to town.
  • Roll center kit - I keep thinking about this. I think I can make something work with the Whiteline Evo kit (or something close) if I can make a new housing to hold the ball joint to the control arm. Outter tie rods may be a problem as they have a curve in them. The curve is there either for clearance of wheel/tire at full lock or to adjust ackermann. I need to check which.
  • Front camber plates - looks like the bolt pattern on the front camber plates is very similar as the rear camber plates on the 02-07 Impreza (just bigger). We have plates that that are close, but the slots run the wrong way (they would be caster plates). We can easily get new plates cut for this, and we'll do a backset of the slots to get more static caster out of them.
  • Front LCA bushings - Forward one I suspect Whiteline has something that will work with a new crush tube. We'll need to measure and check. Rear one - really not sure on that one. It'll take more work.
  • Motor mounts - have not looked at them closely yet. Need to pull one and measure. We may be able to work something out on those, but we'll have to see.
  • Seat rails - I'd like to sit lower in the car, but I need to pull a seat and see how they bolt up and take some measurements.
  • Steering wheel - I just got my newly recovered STi wheel from JPM. I opted for black, real suede with red baseball stitching. I need to pick up a spare wheel and see if they can recover it in a thin wrap of grey alcantara.
  • I have some power adder ideas, but those will have to wait.

Last edited by TurnInConcepts; 08-21-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Oh sweet.... thanks for the heads up on this... I'll have to try and make it, even if it's not in my SVX... just for funzies! (whats the cost to just join in and sight see?)

Great looking SVX TiC... maybe I'll get to see it in person

Last edited by Subix; 08-21-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: e
Old 08-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Ah, he found the $15/15 mod!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest