Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Traded in My SVX

I did it. I bought an 2005 Kia Sorento from carmax and traded in the SVX. She just plain had too many problems and issues for me to keep up with. Most recently a transmission line broke which I fixed but after finding it I accidentally overfilled the transmission which caused the seal between the transmission and front diff to fail and let massive amounts of fluid to push into the diff. The transmission was slipping in third gear and becoming weak in all gears (I just had it rebuilt in Oct of 2006 and Completely replaced a year before that). The diff suffered ill consequences from the extreme overfilling of light oil. The underside of the car was a mess, the trans oil was everywhere and actually turned the body coating to black goo that we determined was highly flammable. The body had a half million dings from one of the neighbors kids riding their bike down the side, and 4 BB shots to the passenger door, and a large dent and rust patch on the opposite fender. I bearing for the air conditioner pulley seized a while back and ruined the air conditioning and damaged the front of the motor (Huge hole in the timing belt cover)

I just cant keep up with it. Every time I turned around it had a problem. I'm graduating college in a few weeks and need something that can get me back and forth to work without a hassle.

They gave me $750, which was $500 less than I wanted and I probably could have gotten more if I had sold it myself but I just didn't want to deal with leaving my problems to someone else. I hope she finds a good home, I am actually a little worried but I just remember she's been to two other auctions before I picked her up and she was just as rough around the edges then as she is now. It was hardly drive able the day I brought her home so hopefully someone decides they love it too much to pass up on and takes good care. So if anyone picks up a pearlie from SC with BB gun shots and mismatched rims (3 light silver, 1 grey) That's my baby, take good care of her.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sorry to hear that, but good luck with the new one.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 PM

I drove a KIA

I am so sorry. I rented a car from enterprise that turned out to be a KIA. It was so unstable that I feared for my life. Got it back as soon as possible and made them give me another brand. You must be the saddest person on the globe every time you start the engine and put it in drive and make it move down the road.
Again, I am so sorry.
Take care, and keep in touch.
Keith
Old 02-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Why didn't you offer it to the board first?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:50 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Im very sorry you had to do that. You probably could have gotten an easy 1k here but it sounds like you needed a car asap. hopefully your baby will find its way back to someone on the site.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I am so sorry. I rented a car from enterprise that turned out to be a KIA. It was so unstable that I feared for my life. Got it back as soon as possible and made them give me another brand. You must be the saddest person on the globe every time you start the engine and put it in drive and make it move down the road.
Again, I am so sorry.
Take care, and keep in touch.
Keith
I do not agree....they're that bad? What model do you drive?
Perhaps you need to drive it a little longer to get used to it...

I drive a Kia daily and I drive my Kia 3000miles per month. It makes me feel good at the gas station.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 AM
One teal and One yellow

I also buy a Kia as a daily drive but I didn't trade in my SVXi
They're actually quite reliable in my opinion. I seriously put about
3000miles a month. It makes me feel happy at the gas station.
If I drive my SVX that much a month, I'm gonna pay $900-$1000
for the gas money a month. My Kia saves me a lot of
gas money and it's way cheaper on tires and it's still under factory
warranty.

They're not bad actually and they get high score on crash ratings.
My Kia has 10 airbags!!! I get as good as 40mpg on highway. I bet
your Kia is still under factory warranty. It might get about same
gas mileage as your SVX...depends... Sorry about your SVX. Hope
your Kia will be your reliable transportation at the moment.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed View Post
I did it. I bought an 2005 Kia Sorento from carmax and traded in the SVX.
My daughter has put 20,000+ hard miles on a new Kia Sedona minivan with the only complaint being a low tire... of which she was made aware by the air pressure warning system. She loves it. Good luck with yours.

dcb
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I would rock a Kia. I'd imagine the parts to repair it are dirt cheap. I could pick up a salvaged one for very little to keep as a parts car hypothetically.

With all the mods I've done to the SVX, I'd hate to have to take it to the commuter parking lots or places where I'm at risk for even more door dings, scrapes, etc.

That's the primary reason I have my corolla. It's way cheaper to own than the SVX. Parts are ridiculously cheap. It's also what I call my "first date car". Only the ones worth keeping around get to ride in the SVX

But in any case. Good luck with the new car. I'm sure it will be reliable for many miles, and if it does break, wont be too expensive to fix.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM

Apples and oranges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
I do not agree....they're that bad? What model do you drive?
Perhaps you need to drive it a little longer to get used to it...

I drive a Kia daily and I drive my Kia 3000miles per month. It makes me feel good at the gas station.
Probably more like apples and turnips.

I drove one with a few thousand miles on it and it was so unstable it scared the heck out of me on a road I drive on all the time with my SVX.
When I do things to my SVX, I rent a car for the weekend from enterprise. Fantastic rate as a backup in case I have a problem! I have to always have transportation. If my project takes an hour, instead of a weekend, I would not drive the rental car again except to take it back on Monday. The SVX is by far the safest car on the road today and I would sit the rental out the rest of the weekend. Yes, regardless of the difference in the gas mileage. Every weekend, because of our lives, I will drive a minimum of 250 miles.
Reguardless of the rental brand, they are all unstable compared to my SVX, not just the KIA.
That one just about scared me to death.
Keith

from... TE1221 I would rock a Kia. I'd imagine the parts to repair it are dirt cheap. I could pick up a salvaged one for very little to keep as a parts car hypothetically.

I wanted to "rock" that rental one.

Was a miracle that you didn't get an opportunity to get "that one" from a salvage lot with part of me in it!

Keith
Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
The first kia I test drove did feel unstable to me. It was the 4 wheel drive and an 2007. My kia feels much different its the 2 wheel drive model and its much more stable. I read some reviews after buying the car that the 4 wheel drive model has a higher center of gravity. I'm glad I went with the 2 wheel drive model and I am still struggling with remembering it does not handle curves like my subi did.

I actually am not sad at all. Sad is when you turn your subaru on and it turns itself off. Repeatedly. At 10 o'clock at night. In the pouring rain. Or when you come to a stop in the middle lane on a 4 lane road at rush hour. Those moments made me cry. The kia makes me think of how far I've come. I bought the subaru so I could get to my college classes. I bought the kia so I could get to the job those classes got me to. I miss it and I'm sure when the cherry trees blossom and I dont have a little sporty car to zippy thru the blowing petals, I will be sad but hey, maybe my mom will loan me her new BMW.

I didnt offer it up here as it just had too many issues to make me feel comfortable to sell it person to person. The body might have been repairable if you bondoed the entire passenger side but the engine and transmission were showing their age too. I probably could have gotten more even for its condition here but I needed more money as a down payment and wanted to move it faster than selling it here would allow.

I will be watching for it and plan to check carfax in about 6 weeks to see if someone picked it up yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=DreamingOfSpeed;530640]
I actually am not sad at all. Sad is when you turn your subaru on and it turns itself off. Repeatedly. At 10 o'clock at night. In the pouring rain. Or when you come to a stop in the middle lane on a 4 lane road at rush hour. Those moments made me cry. The kia makes me think of how far I've come. I bought the subaru so I could get to my college classes. I bought the kia so I could get to the job those classes got me to. I miss it and I'm sure when the cherry trees blossom and I dont have a little sporty car to zippy thru the blowing petals, I will be sad but hey, maybe my mom will loan me her new BMW.

I am so sorry for the troubles you had with your SVX, It made me sad to read about it. I could just picture my wife out there in the rain or stalled in the intersection. It is not just embarrassing, but it is certainly a hassle and could be real dangerous. Bless your heart!

Us SVX owners do pretty well as long as we belong to AAA for an occasional tow… and have the enterprise car rental phone # on our speed dial… and love to work on our car… and. know how to work on our car.

I understand your frustrations, and in your position, I would have gotten something that I could depend on.

My goal with my SVX is to make it so good that my wife can depend on it when she needs to go somewhere!

Wish me luck!

Again, I glad you got your KIA!

Take care,
Keith
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
One teal and One yellow

Kwren, I like your goal of your SVX...I'd like to have that goal on my SVXi too but right now I don't have that kind of times and extra money to do the projects...I definitely agree that my SVX is way more stable than the Kia but they're different car. The SVX feels like a tank and it's good at highway but my Kia is like a monkey, very nimble and fun to drive, good in town-driving. Wow, it's about 1400lbs lighter but also more than 100hp less haha. Regarding to the safety issus, maybe it's depended on how you crash...I do not feel not so safe in my Kia...anyway, it's a 15 yrs younger car with newer technology and surrounded with 10 airbags. The Kia is just a cheap car to drive haha...my dealer told me that those brake pads could possibly last up to 80K miles. I just order a set of high performance all season tires on mine, only $180 shipped, I'm happy with the price.

Dreamofspeed, sorry about your SVX. I'm happy to have my Kia so far...I don't feel sad because I still have my SVXi Hope your Kia will be a good transport for a while. This is just a temporary emotion...if you really miss your SVX, you can always get another one next time. For me, I'm looking at the cost-to-drive/mile of the car because I drive too many miles. I don't want to spend $1000 gas per month on my SVX and have to pay a lot of expensive maintenance on tires/pads/services. But I think I would keep my SVXi longer than my Kia haha...my Kia is probably the temporary relationship with me. Maybe before the warranty goes out, I might trade it or sell it and looking for a Toyota Prius. I want to try the hybrid synergy technology. I will be happy that my car is not burning gas while it's idling or stuck in the traffic.