Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Well, no one answered this one, how much quicker is it?

My stock geared svx(3.70) against the 4.44 is like night and day. Though alot of people are saying there's too much or there's gonna be alot of wheelspin, there isn't. For me at least. My 0-60 time is at least 1 second quicker. Crusing speed acceleration is alot better too(right around 30-40). Getting up to 80+ is ALOT quicker now also. I thought the gears would be mostly low-end, but the top-end seems to be quicker too.

If you're thinking about going 4.44 fwd, NO YOU CAN'T!!! I'M THE ONLY ONE!!!jk....Seriously you should do it if you're considering, it's sooo much better than stock.

Last edited by 94SubieSVX; 12-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Your stock gears were 3.70 FD ratio

Tom
Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Your stock gears were 3.70 FD ratio

Tom

I stand corrected
Old 12-05-2007, 05:24 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Finally something I really want done, >.> once I get another job when classes change over I will start saving for this hopefully when I get taxes back I'll get my car a well needed paint job. Maybe a custom color one no one has yet :P. But I want this . 1200 you say? With 177k miles approaching I assume it would be a sound investment.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 12-07-2007, 08:10 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
I wish i had done a 4.11 front diff in my car... I don't see why everyone wants to go with the manual... would someone please put a 5EAT in one?
Ummm. you talking about the 5-speed "sport shift" tiptronic out of the Outbacks and now 08 Legacys? If so I don't know about the part designations but I was planning it in mine after my Impreza gets one. You can find them through used parts dealers online for around $2500 with the computer but then you gotta do the rewiring and then the extra wiring fo rthe DCCD if you want it working. It will be worth it for me I know. Problem being is SVX is #2 on my list. It only gets things when it needs needs them. Impreza gets them cause i want them.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM

What kind of mileage can you expect to get with 4.44 gears? I'd like to improve my gearing somewhat, but I'd like to keep the high-speed cruising/touring aspect of the car. It seems that 4.11's would maybe be more up my alley. Is this a recommended/worthwhile change?

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:59 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
A 3.90 gear would be the better compromise. A bit lower, but still high enough to keep the personality consistent. These gears were in the Imprezas.
I'd think the 4.44 would do serious harm to the fuel mileage. Kinda like driving in 3rd gear all the time. Really frickin responsive, but it'd suck fuel.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
A 3.90 gear would be the better compromise. A bit lower, but still high enough to keep the personality consistent. These gears were in the Imprezas.
I'd think the 4.44 would do serious harm to the fuel mileage. Kinda like driving in 3rd gear all the time. Really frickin responsive, but it'd suck fuel.
I love how the car "cruises" but i just wish it had a bit less lag on intial takeoff and was a bit peppier with 0-60. I'd really like to put back in my seat when I launch the thing... My car is still almost stock though, hardly anything done powerwise, so this would maybe help also...

Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
OOC for a while

The 4.44 didn't really effect my mileage, if anything it seems a little better now. Before I would never get 25mpg, and I got that last weekend. And the immediate fill-up after that I had some highway and mostly city and got 21.xx mpg.

The 4.44 also gives alot more peppiness that you would want.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I kill more trannies then god

my stock 4.11 5speed will roast all four the whole way through first!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
The 4.44 didn't really effect my mileage, if anything it seems a little better now. Before I would never get 25mpg, and I got that last weekend. And the immediate fill-up after that I had some highway and mostly city and got 21.xx mpg.

The 4.44 also gives alot more peppiness that you would want.

Really? that's crazy... I get 30 mpg no problem on the interstate with stock gears. I'd like to at least keep it above 25. ALso, maybe I shouldn't say this aloud, but one of my goals for the car is to bury the speedo. Not sure how much less gear I could do with to break the 160 mark.

And it's not the kind of thing I would do all the time, but...just to know I could. It's like walking softly and carrying a big stick...or whatever the saying is.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Really? that's crazy... I get 30 mpg no problem on the interstate with stock gears. I'd like to at least keep it above 25. ALso, maybe I shouldn't say this aloud, but one of my goals for the car is to bury the speedo. Not sure how much less gear I could do with to break the 160 mark.

And it's not the kind of thing I would do all the time, but...just to know I could. It's like walking softly and carrying a big stick...or whatever the saying is.

If you get anything other than stock gears it's gonna take alot longer to get up to that speed. The 4.44 takes off about 20mph from the top speed I believe.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
If you get anything other than stock gears it's gonna take alot longer to get up to that speed. The 4.44 takes off about 20mph from the top speed I believe.
Well, it seems like it would take less time to get there with shorter gears, but the overall "theoretical" top speed would be lowered.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
OOC for a while

Yeah it's alot quicker getting up there. I would guess it took about a second off my 0-60 time. But because the gears are so close, it takes away from the top end power.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's alot quicker getting up there. I would guess it took about a second off my 0-60 time. But because the gears are so close, it takes away from the top end power.

I can see what you're saying. With my stock gears (and most everything else) it realy seems to get a second wind around 120 or so. Even with 245 series tires, I've gone just a hair over 140 (middle of nowhere, etc...) that's without being lowered or anything, before i found the switch to put the wipers all the way down even.. lol That's a good sized chunk of car cutting through the air!

Again, not saying I drive like a maniac or anything like that, but I do like to take the car out and "stretch its legs" every once in a while.