SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
I just spoke with Dave.
DHL THINKS they are on a truck in PGH, or maybe he'll get them Monday.
I am getting eight sets to start.
If they show up today or tomorrow Dave will bring them to me.
If not I should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
More later.
I am in for 2 sets and if possible a P/S pump toooo (yeh I never changed it since then )

-Pavan
Old 07-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
What does foldered mean?
You know how when you post in a thread, it puts a little arrow there? Thats how I keep track of threads I am interested in... makes em easy to find
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
You know how when you post in a thread, it puts a little arrow there? Thats how I keep track of threads I am interested in... makes em easy to find
Kind of like "bookmarked"? Aaaah, now we see.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I just spoke with Dave.
DHL THINKS they are on a truck in PGH, or maybe he'll get them Monday.
I am getting eight sets to start.
If they show up today or tomorrow Dave will bring them to me.
If not I should have them by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
More later.
Still no word from Tom's friend Dave. Let's keep our fingers crossed he shows up here with them this weekend.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Please put me in for a set!
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Ok I am doing some research on HIDs from morning and gathered some info... It seems like most OEM HIDs come with 4300k bulbs as they resemble superwhite light while 6000k are not that bluish like 8000k, but will output some cool white color (with bluish tint standing out). Also I see two types of HID bulbs D2S (for projector assemblies) and D2R bulbs (for reflector type). While 5000k is in between 4300k and 6000k, and also the light output lumens is not much different (5000k=3000lumens, 6000k=2800lumens). Also 6000k are ~20% less brighter than 4300k, but compared to stock, u will never notice . Any higher color temperature is having a drastic fall in lumens (or to be specific visible light output) and they will look more ricey and cheap . Also, widely used D2 bulbs are filled with mercury while the advanced D3/4 are mercury free.

I think Tom choosed the best one and I would also like to go with 5000k. remember that after certain period, these bulbs change their color as they approach their death, but in real world we may never reach it, unless on public transportation vehicles.

-Pavan

Last edited by pavanbabut; 07-28-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
If Tom gets his kits in by this weekend, we will put a set of HID's in the polo. Otherwise we will do it on Monday or Tuesday,

Currently I am running the PIAA Platinum superwhite bulbs 85W, powered by a new factory alternator which cranks out a consistant 14.6V, and shining through crystal-clear, pristine stock lenses.

I have plenty of light already.... but...
The HID kits did not make it in over the weekend for the meet and were not here on Monday morning. After seeing Tom's demonstration of his HIDs, I was prepared to make another 4 hour round trip on Thursday to have them installed, but..

In one unexpected, magnanamous gesture, Tom offered to uninstall the HIDs from his claret and install them in my Polo.

These are truly plug-n-play. No additional wiring, no cutting or splicing of any kind. The 12V lead in the stock headlight socket plugs into the ballast to transform the 12V going in into a 23,000V output.

In order to protect the ballasts from heat and keep them cool, Tom installed then in the front fenderwells, outside the engine compartment. The passenger side ballast is in front of the airbox intake resonator, and the driver's side ballast is in front of the airbag sensor. Plenty of room for installation and air circulation. The brackets the ballasts snap in to are sturdy and easy to mount and protect against movement and vibration. Just unbolt the inner fender liners to gain access to the inner fender, attach the ballast bracket to a bolt already there and drill a small hole to attach the bottom of the bracket with a screw. Snap in the ballast and run the wires through existing openings and connect to the bulbs. More than enough wire. Shouldn't take any more than 45 minutes at the very most.

Even up against my PIAAs, the difference is quite amazing!! Very similar in color but the light output is SOOO much higher. Adding my PIAA high-beams makes for a startling sight. When the lights first fire up, they are a pale bluish-green color, but after a warmup of 30 seconds they are as white as white can be. The current draw is so much less than the stock bulbs; when turning them on my voltmeter shows a .1V drop, and immediately recovers. Using them, together with my PIAA high beams, the total initial draw is less than .3V. I believe the whole thing draws less than 7 amps.

If you want a significant upgrade to your lighting performance, this is THE kit. High quality components, great warranty, easy installation amd more. It is very easy to uninstall the kit and return to a stock configuration if you want to sell your car, or just move it into another vehicle. And the price is only $199.00.

You can see the manufacturer's website by clicking on THIS LINK

When driving the dark, back country roads to my new house, I was using my high beams a lot to watch for deer; having to dim them when oncoming traffic approaches. Now, with the HIDs alone, I can see much, much further down the road, with greater clarity and definition, without offending oncoming traffic.

My highest recommendation! Thank you again, Tom. Your generousity and unselfish willingness to accommodate the needs of anyone the SVX family is once again demonstrated.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-31-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Network Design Administrator

I cant wait to get my own set!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
These are truly plug-n-play. No additional wiring, no cutting or splicing of any kind. The 12V lead in the stock headlight socket plugs into the ballast to transform the 12V going in into a 23,000V output.[/COLOR]
So did you change your projectors? I thought you had to use some funky BMW 3 series projectors in order to use HIDs properly.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
that was when the bulbs were longer than the 9006 bulbs that are stock. I saw these in action this weekend. One was HID, the other was stock.... WOW was there a difference. Eric pointed out the best part while we were looking at them... Cover the HID for a second to show the strength of one stock bulb... Then cover the stocker and try and notice the difference These are bright!!! and they look great too Sign me up

Tom
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In one unexpected, magnanamous gesture, Tom offered to uninstall the HIDs from his claret and install them in my Polo.
Its no surprise.... as everyone knows that he is more than as cool as a guy can be . Anyway I am still waiting to hear a word from him about their order. I am already in for 2 sets...

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 07-31-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Dave is on his way here with four sets, two sets of 5000, and two sets of 6000s.
I am going to go through this thread, and the PMs to see who was first.
He will have more in ten days.
He has 8000s, (but neither I or he recommend them.)
But if you insist he will bring them.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 07-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
For color reference

5000K is pure white light with just the barest tinge of yellow.
6000K is pure white light
8000K is cool white with tinges of blue. At this temperature and above, the light output is the same, but the visual brightness is significantly decreased.

The 5000K is a perfect color match to the PIAA Platinum Plus white bulbs I still have in my high beams and fog lights. Either one of these (5000 or 6000) are perfectly fine.

With full sunlight shining directly onto the front of the car, the HIDs still outshine everything with pure white light.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM

For more direct reference I am attaching a color temperature bar from wikipedia.....

Color_temperature

Both 5000k and 6000k fall in the white zone, but 5000k is higher in visible light output in lumens rather than 6000k. But you may not notice it with naked eye, unless you use a photometer (better with collimated beam ). But either of them is good.

Here are some more links for 5000k versus 6000k from beamer forums...

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Can we have any option on 35w vs 50w ??

-Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 07-31-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Sign me up for the 5000k....

There goes my wallet again
2012 Camry V6 SE