Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM

Exclamation Gas Gauge Problem

Ok so I filled up my svx for the first time...i just got it yesterday with 200k miles...it runs great and this is the only problem... i filled it up and the gas gauge will tell me how much i have in there by sitting the car still while running so i can let the gauge climb to the actual amount. Then once i get going the gauge goes down to empty until i stop again then it will go back up...(unless the car is off) then it wont move at all of course) if anyone knows how to fix this problem........plz help
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Stop relying on the fuel gauge - it's faulty. Well, more rather, the sender at the tank is faulty which causes your wacky readings. Either use the trip or replace the sender - your choice.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-06-2006, 11:42 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy2950
Ok so I filled up my svx for the first time...i just got it yesterday with 200k miles...it runs great and this is the only problem... i filled it up and the gas gauge will tell me how much i have in there by sitting the car still while running so i can let the gauge climb to the actual amount. Then once i get going the gauge goes down to empty until i stop again then it will go back up...(unless the car is off) then it wont move at all of course) if anyone knows how to fix this problem........plz help
From what you report it would appear that the gauge reads empty as soon as the car is in motion, but during filling the gauge runs up steadily as would be normal. This would indicate a broken circuit, but only after the car is moving.

Possibly a sender slider is failing to make contact when fuel surges in the tank.
Maybe a plug or lead becomes open circuit due to vibration when the car moves.

Please confirm that engine speed (increased engine RPM), has no affect and the car must be in motion for the gauge to go to an empty reading. The thought here is possibility of the alternator increasing line voltage and causing the problem, even though this is not a likely scenario.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!