Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
My Ma wrote her black/Burgandy 92 off...

And being one with high miles and an airbag (which deployed!), the cost of replacing the airbag is more than the car is worth. Damage is right front wing (or was that the left??) only plus a bit of bonnet damage.
I can buy it back for about 800 Kiwi bucks. Would that be a good deal? I mean I can't get it road-legal again unless I buy a new very expensive airbag assembly, but the parts out of it alone must be worth more than 800 right?
Considering mine is a 92 as well (Sans airbag) it would make a good parts car, minus the bits anyone else wants of course! Hers is an original Full Japanese Spec 92 with spoiler, Black over burgandy. Panels are all good, albeit needing paint renewal, but the mechanical mileage is high (I think close to 200000 KM).

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 AM
A flight-less flyer

Actually just a thought, if she bought a non-airbag steering wheel and fitted it, would this be legal in NZ? The same model (i.e mine) did originally also come without airbags. She loves the car and the panel damage is easily repairable.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 11-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The non-airbag steering wheel won't bolt up to a Airbag equiped column (I have one), so you'd need a whole column, but the drivers side airbags can be had here in the states for $50-$60 bucks on E-bay...any early Subaru airbag will work 92-95 Legacy, Impreza...but some 95-s had the newer style, which won't work.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Actually just a thought, if she bought a non-airbag steering wheel and fitted it, would this be legal in NZ? The same model (i.e mine) did originally also come without airbags. She loves the car and the panel damage is easily repairable.

Matt
Only the government will be able to tell you that one.

As for a replacement wheel, I'd actually consider not re-packing the airbag and 'tricking' the airbag sensor into thinking it had been re-packed. I can't find the info on how to do that in the 20 seconds I took to throw up a quick search, but I suspet it'd be out there somewhere. That'd just leave you with cutting out the busted facia and replacing it.

Try the SVX IW page. There is a how-to on removing the steering wheel, at least that'd give you half a chance at looking at it if you are allowed.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smallcar Performance on eBay will sell you two of them right now at small money, as I see the prices.

They have a grey one for US $100, pretty cheap. They also have another which looks black in the picture [I'm of the notion only the US/Canada market got the beige leather or grey leather interior, but I'm not sure on that.]

The black one has a clock spring and a computer with it, and costs US $175, pretty cheap for what you get.
See

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...4892QQtcZphoto

You could do worse than give them a call.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 AM
A flight-less flyer

Hey thanks all, I don't know why the repairer is quoting several thousand to repair the thing!
I have to replace the bag - can't fool the sensor as the local guy that carries out the work also does warrants (road legal thingee here) and besides it might have saved my mum some facial injury!
I'll look into the ebay thing.

Cheers

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 AM
A flight-less flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
The non-airbag steering wheel won't bolt up to a Airbag equiped column (I have one), so you'd need a whole column, but the drivers side airbags can be had here in the states for $50-$60 bucks on E-bay...any early Subaru airbag will work 92-95 Legacy, Impreza...but some 95-s had the newer style, which won't work.
But then I'd also need the plastic facia? I haven't actually seen the resultant damage yet.

Just Crusin'
Old 11-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well you should also check with them about the airbag only:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...QQcmdZViewItem

They list it as "gray", but it looks a dark colour. Maybe it is the same as yours.

If the one they have in the set is the same colour as you need, I can't see a reason why they would not ship you that darker colour, and put the "gray" one in with the set.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-30-2006, 06:44 PM

how reliable is this inspector chap?

a fellow i know got a celica all-trac (gt4) as an insurance "write-off" because the inspector guy fancied it for himself and it really wasnt a write-off...

the ins co got wind of things and he was able to buy the car (with a clean title ie:without the "re-built vehicle" kiss of death) lol

the ins co went after the claims agent for his shenanigans.....

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Registered SVX
There are several wreckers who have an SVX available here in NZ. Go to another tin basher who is trustworthy.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Full list price in the US

I have a bit of news for you which should be good.

I have looked up a catalogue for SVX parts which I have. It has parts numbers and prices in US dollars. Possibly sales tax has to be added to the prices, but, whatever.

There are only two colours listed in airbags, gray and beige. So the wheel and furnishings in black cars are thought of as "gray". I tend to think of mine as black, obviously I am wrong.

This implies the gray one Small Car is listing at $100 is the one you want. Also it should be correct for your Mom's car, it is described as 92-95. There is a different part number after December '95.

The part number for your pre-95 airbag module is 96211PA003MD, and the list cost is shown as $700.

Do check with your accident repair guys in case you need the "clock spring". I don't have any experience in what has to be replaced with airbags.

Hope this helps.

Joe

PS, if either of your front sensors has to be replaced, list price for them is $360, hefty enough price.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-01-2006, 10:17 AM
A flight-less flyer

Hey thanks all.

Apparently when it's been deregistered it costs a fortune to re register? Any of the kiwi guys know about this?
As for the parts cost, yes, much less than what we've been quoted, but they've been telling us something about the airbag computer may not reset which would cost a lot.. HUUHH?? I've never heard of one of these!
Ok, worse comes to worse: one bag plus (2??) sensors = 700 + 2x360= 1420 US?

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Hey thanks all.

Apparently when it's been deregistered it costs a fortune to re register? Any of the kiwi guys know about this?
As for the parts cost, yes, much less than what we've been quoted, but they've been telling us something about the airbag computer may not reset which would cost a lot.. HUUHH?? I've never heard of one of these!

Matt
Yeah, but you can get the bag plus computer plus clockspring from Small Car Performance for $175!!

Then the worst would be $175 + 2x$360 = $905.

And I think it more likely she set off one sensor rather than both, that would bring it back to under $600.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Hey thanks all.

Matt
There is no reason to deregister the car and therefore don't do so. Re registration will cost more and extra certification is required. If the car is off the road under repair, there are provisions whereby registration can be put on hold and lack of a WOF is no problem. A phone call to the LTSA will secure all the info. Does your mother belong to the AA ? They will give her advice on all counts.

As I have previously pointed out, used body parts etc. are available and from what you state, the car should be economically repairable. Take it to another panel beater.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Normally, with airbag deplyment, they want to replace the entire system:

- airbag
- both sensors
- airbag control module

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: