Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
It goes fast-that's all I know

Thank you to everyone for the tips and advice!! I spoke to the tire shop and I was able to get the option of either 4 used or 2 NEW and I think I'll play it safe and get the 2 new ones for free and buy the other two. Since this was part of the deal when I purchased the car last Feb, I want to take advantage of saving a buck when I can.
If y'all are driving down hwy 101 in Central California anytime soon, maybe you'll see me fly past you so be on the look out! Does anyone else have the "problem" of their car almost wanting to hit a cruising speed of about 90mph? For some reason, it just rides better and runs smoother when it's breaking the law!
Thanks again!

Jeannie
Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoSVX
Does anyone else have the "problem" of their car almost wanting to hit a cruising speed of about 90mph? For some reason, it just rides better and runs smoother when it's breaking the law!
Thanks again!
Even more so with a manual transmission!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoSVX
Thank you to everyone for the tips and advice!! I spoke to the tire shop and I was able to get the option of either 4 used or 2 NEW and I think I'll play it safe and get the 2 new ones for free and buy the other two. Since this was part of the deal when I purchased the car last Feb, I want to take advantage of saving a buck when I can.
If y'all are driving down hwy 101 in Central California anytime soon, maybe you'll see me fly past you so be on the look out! Does anyone else have the "problem" of their car almost wanting to hit a cruising speed of about 90mph? For some reason, it just rides better and runs smoother when it's breaking the law!
Thanks again!

Jeannie

WARNING!!! make sure there is no more then 3/32 diffrence on the tread or it can lead to tranny/diff failiar
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 07-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
WARNING!!! make sure there is no more then 3/32 diffrence on the tread or it can lead to tranny/diff failiar
Um...."failure"
'05 Subaru Impreza STi, '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, '01 Toyota Celica GT, '98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, '96 Isuzu Rodeo, '95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD, '94 Plymouth Sundance, '94 Subaru SVX LSi, '93 Subaru Impreza, '92 Subaru SVX LS-L, 2003 Subaru Baja.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Definitely get new tires. Used tires could have tons of flaws that are barely visible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, these flaws usually appear in the form of extremely annoying road noise. Here's my opinions on tires.

Bridgestone - loud, mediocre response, good grip, poor longevity
Dunlop (aka Goodyear) - Quiet, slow response, average grip, good longevity
Michelin - acceptable road noise, good response, good grip, average to poor longevity
Toyo - quiet, mediocre response, mediocre grip, good longevity
Yokohama - quiet, mediocre response, mediocre grip, good longevity

These opinions are based on evaluations I've done with their sport oriented tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050, Goodyear Eagle RSA, Michelin PS and PS2, Toyo Proxes FZ4, Yokohama Avid H4, Dunlop A620 or something like that, Dunlop RFT).

My highest recommendation goes to Michelin Pilot Sport. They will give you good dynamic performance, but longevity suffers a bit from it. If you just want something to last a long time and be quiet, Dunlop, Toyo, and Yokohama are all probably good choices.

If I didn't list a brand, that means I have no experience with it.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM

Many thanks to all that gave their 2 cents worth on my tire question. I'm going to get the dealership to hook me up with their tire people and get me their deal on 4 new tires and pay the difference out of my own pocket. That way, I'll have no regrets down the road AND I'll get the warranty from the manufacturer too. I'll let you know what brand I end up with.
Thanks again all!!

Jeanne in Pismo Beach
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
I am also lookin for new tires and I will most probably go for Yokohoma AVS dB2 or Pirelli PZero M&S and they are good enough tires for our cars while at the same time not spending too much like Michelins.

-Pavan
Old 07-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I will not buy Yokohoma AVS again. I had two blow outs in one year. Actually the tire riped all the way around the outer radius. Then again, I do drive 200 miles a day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tire.jpg (4.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-23-2006, 11:22 PM

Well, consider also your driving style. Do you speed? straightway? like above 70? hit the curve faster than normal? likes the twisties? brake suddenly?

- Then consider what all the guys here have told you. The data they give you is for performance and response.

If you just cruise and drive like 80% of all the people in the street. Get longer lasting tires. You really do not neeed the grip or performance. plus have quiet ride.

I have not seen performance tires that are really quiet. Performance tires are to give you more rubber surface area on the road for the grip and punicshment. If the noise bothers ya. Install better sound system and crank it.

have you seen a quiet euro sports car?
Nor a loud Jag?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I will not buy Yokohoma AVS again. I had two blow outs in one year. Actually the tire riped all the way around the outer radius. Then again, I do drive 200 miles a day.
I used to be a yokohama fan boy but I woke up after realizing that they aren't that good in my experience. The db's and sports I had turned to bricks after a while and got loud. I blew a sidewall on the sports. Ultimate grip even on the avs sport isn't that good. I could easily slide the rear end on the avid V4's, and I don't even want to get into the geolanders we had on the wife's xt. I think for the price you can get a much better tire.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
How long were you driving on that flat??

I'm currently running the AVS db S2's and they've taken me to both coasts. They are an ok summer tire but you must keep your alignment and tire pressures true or they will wear strange. I've run mine in autocross and know that my car can keep up to most cars on street tires (as was proven by someone else with much more experience driving my car). This was with <50% tread left.

My next set of tires will be a summer only tire as I do have a set of winter tires. I'm looking mainly for more grip now .

My reason for buying the db S2's was they were getting good reviews here and they are an all-season tire (what I was looking for at the time).
Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Because I drive 4 hours a day, I check the tire pressure every week and have the tires balanced and rotated every month. The tire just blew without a warning. This happened twice while driving with the cruise control at 70 MPH. I just don't think those tires are good enough for my driving needs.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:47 PM
tmaslar

I recently put a set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires on my Audi S4. They are the best I have owned! Very quiet, grippy and good steering response. Check the tire suvey ratings on the tire rack website. They bear out my observations. I don't know about wear yet, but I love them so far!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Post I got my new tires!

Hello again. I FINALLY was able to get things going with the new tires. The dealership where I purchased the car has it's prefered tire shop who cut him a deal on 4 Riken Raptor Performance tires. I think Riken is owned by BF Goodrich. As soon as I got them on and drove it- wow! What a difference from the old bald ones I'd been limping around on. I just got them so I can't report on how they'll hold up after a few thousand miles, of course, but so far- Very quiet and very smooth ride.
Thanks to all for your advice on this.
Jeanne In Pismo Beach