Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Duty solenoid B

My trans has had a Duty solenoid B error code.

Ok so i get the 16 flashes of the 'power' light when i start the car, just went to pull the code and it came up as clear on the 'existing problem', and Duty solenoid B error as a "previous problem", now whe i start the car the 'power' light goes out like it should.

This trans has been in my car for 3 weeks now, the warning came on day 2 or 3 after completion.

So what is a Duty solenoid B error?????

Does the fact that it is a "previous problem" mean it is better now

so basically what do i need to do????

cheers,
Jake

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
My trans has had a Duty solenoid B error code.

Ok so i get the 16 flashes of the 'power' light when i start the car, just went to pull the code and it came up as clear on the 'existing problem', and Duty solenoid B error as a "previous problem", now whe i start the car the 'power' light goes out like it should.

This trans has been in my car for 3 weeks now, the warning came on day 2 or 3 after completion.

So what is a Duty solenoid B error?????

Does the fact that it is a "previous problem" mean it is better now

so basically what do i need to do????

cheers,
Jake
Hi.Jake, that solenoid operates the torque converter lock-up. If it locks the converter, it's working. Does it?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Endangered Species

ok im completely out of expertise when it comes to converters, how do i know if its locking up or not?

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM
<<<Alcyone

After the transmission fluid has warmed up completely, the torque convertor will lock up to allow for better efficiency.

Once the torque convertor has locked, if you take your foot off of the gas pedal on level ground (without the cruise control set), your engine speed will not immediately drop. If the torque convertor is not locked, your engine speed will immediately drop.

In both of my SVXi, when I'm driving on a level road in top gear at 60 mph with the torque convertor unlocked, the engine speed is about 2200 rpm. When the torque convertor locks, the engine speed drops to about 2050 rpm. If I have the cruise control set when the torque convertor locks, it almost feels like the transmission has shifted up to another gear.

I'm sure Harvey and others can explain it much better than this . . .

If your power light no longer blinks on start up - Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Lock up.

Yes what Dan said.
Just get it warmed up, cruise at say 2000 rpm, then give the throttle a little blip, if the rev counter does not move, the converter is locked. If the rev counter shows the rev change, it is't locked.

Harvey.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:36 AM
Endangered Species

damn.... the code is reoccuring... every time i travel any distance

sugestions?? what do i do?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
damn.... the code is reoccuring... every time i travel any distance

sugestions?? what do i do?
The first thing to do is establish if the torque converter is locking up, like we suggested in the last post.

The code means that there is an electrical problem in the circuit. It is either drawing too much current, or too little. The Solenoid may be working OK. So check it to see.

Harvey.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Endangered Species

ok I notice when at steady reves, that once in fourth, the reves will drop a few hundred revs, so i am assuming it is working (at least some of the time). When i "BLIP" the accel at 100 kmh the reves move straight away up about four hundred revs, road speed stays the same! When i blip the accel crusing at 60 kmh it klunks back a gear instantly

Old 04-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
ok I notice when at steady reves, that once in fourth, the reves will drop a few hundred revs, so i am assuming it is working (at least some of the time). When i "BLIP" the accel at 100 kmh the reves move straight away up about four hundred revs, road speed stays the same! When i blip the accel crusing at 60 kmh it klunks back a gear instantly
Not quite sure if it is from your description. You may be Blipping it too much. You would see it, if you were doing about 100K, and you just move the pedal about 12mm, to accelerate a bit. You should feel the car start to pick up speed, without the rev counter jumping up. It should slowing move up, with road speed. If it is not locked, when you do this the rev counter will jump up about 400 rpms.

You can measure the resistance of the solenoid winding, by unplugging the loom from the box, locate the Green with a Black trace wire, and the Black wire, that are in that plug. Measure the resistance with a multi-meter. It should be between 9 and 15 Ohms.

As it is intermittent, there may be a problem with a wiring connection, that is making poor contact. If the solenoid proves to be bad, you could pull it out of the Aussie box, and replace it it the JDM box. It is fitted on the bottom of the valve body, so it is easy to get to.

Harvey.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:37 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
A few questions Harvey. Where is the plug for the box and can one change the solenoid themselves? Do you have a pic of the solenoid in the box? I looked at subaruparts.com and it looked like a difficult undertaking. My converter is not locking and I have inconsistent engine braking in 3rd gear. It grabs and releases. $317, is that for all solenoids or just B?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
A few questions Harvey. Where is the plug for the box and can one change the solenoid themselves? Do you have a pic of the solenoid in the box? I looked at subaruparts.com and it looked like a difficult undertaking. My converter is not locking and I have inconsistent engine braking in 3rd gear. It grabs and releases. $317, is that for all solenoids or just B?
Hi Michael, the plug is on the loom that runs from the left hard side of the gear box, it plugs into the rest of the loom, on top of the box. The two B solenoid wires are in that plug.

This is looking up into the box, after you pull the pan. The B solenoid
is the round unit at the bottom, centre of the pic.

Has it set a code for the solenoid? as it will if the solenoid is electrical faulty. It really sounds like you have a Throttle Position Sensor problem.

Harvey.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:39 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
The Power light flashes 16x at startup. Can I just purchase solenoid B if that is the problem?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Depends on the code(s).
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Endangered Species

Remember Michael, that the 16 flashes is just telling you of a stored error code, i could mean many things.

Harvey, thanks, i will test it your way on my way home tonight, it may just be an intermitant problem, i will test the resistance on the loom on friday

cheers,
Jake

Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
The first thing to do is establish if the torque converter is locking up, like we suggested in the last post.

The code means that there is an electrical problem in the circuit. It is either drawing too much current, or too little. The Solenoid may be working OK. So check it to see.

Harvey.
Harvey,

I have noticed on several occasions, including the above, you have stated quite categorically, that error codes in respect of a solenoid, can be assumed to only indicate an electrical problem and not something mechanical.

Could you please explain exactly why you believe this is so.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!