Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Under those circumstances with the M3's etc., then the SVX would be ideal. It's luxurious and sporty. All the bells and whistles. I mean, it was after all, a $35,000 car back 13 years ago.

I see your point on the private school. Anybody can get a Honda. He'll be the guy with that cool unknown car.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Living in SoCal for the last year and a half I know where you're coming from with the kids in the "sweet rides". The right SVX would fit in and look nice. But the guys recomending the wagons are onto something. I really wish I had a hatch back or wagon as a second car since the SVX has no room for my Skis, Snowboard, or Mountain Bike. When I was in highschool my best friend and I both owned Subies. He had an old GL wagon with 4WD and I had my XT6. After we gradded he got a Legacy wagon and I got smart and purchased a WRX wagon... The extra space is super nice to have.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
In that case, find him a nice clean SVX. If it has mechanical woes, we will help figure them out. I can offer a hand since you are in Jersey anyway, mind if I ask what school he will be attending??

Tom
Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
sti'lin

He's going to Salesianum in Wilmington, DE. Thank you very much for the offer for help. If I get the car I will definetly take advantage of the offer.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Oddly enough, most of my teenage friends dont think the SVX reallyis all that great. Most of them thinks its old and it does have its less than great attributes when it comes to showing it off.

In a normal HS its would probably be ok but in one like this where so many kids have expensive cars it might seem like a bit of a poser moblie (i get "someone paid 27,000 dollars for your car? Why?" from my HS friends. Very few ppl get why it was so expensive or what makes it great.)

I would suggest something a bit newer and maybe slightly more 'normal' than the svx and its weird windows. A camaro or firebird would be safe choice (many consider the safest frame design) and if you get a v-8 its considered fast but pricey to insure. Older corvettes look flashy but are pricy to repair and insure (and are older). I wanted a dodge stealth before i got my svx (dodge version of a 3000gt, also has tranny problems. The miata is tiny but convertibles can be fun. Nissan makes a whole slew of fun cars (we own a sentra s-er, 95 240sx, and 90 240sx and everybody loves them, course they are all tastefully ricer-afide) The 300zx is another awesome car that most teenagers like if i had to sell subi and couldnt get another i think a 300zx would be my 2nd choice. Look into a few of these, they are all about the same cost a nice svx and are more teen friendly. If i had had a choice when subes was bought i might have picked one of these over it (oh how stupid i was in my youth!) First cars generally get smashed so you might want to go with something you dont mind replacing (my brother smashed his first car the first time he drove it alone within walking distance of our house. The first time i drove subes alone some little kid rode a scooter out from behind a parked car after dark within a car length from me to him. I missed him by less than 6 inches. I got super lucky. Just some proof that weird and stupid things happen to teen drivers. Esp. young drivers!)
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
You are very fortunate having Tom so close... I think some people are losing focus of this thread. You're looking for a safe reliable car for your son. The SVX is a decent choice. Safe, reliable Subie engineering, power and AWD. You're in a great place to own one of these cars, lots of reliable people to help you work on it. Plus the AWD on the east coast is a great idea.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 02-16-2006, 10:39 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

You can always buy my car for 4 k and have tom work on it

He is definitley used to it by now

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Lol, you aint kidding.
the svx will probly get him love it or hate it looks in the parking lot. Basicly, its all a matter of his personality and all that good stuff. Frankly, if you think he is good and ready to take one of theese cars into his care, then go for it. Theres a good deal of GOOD mechanics (Namely TomsSVX and AvPPoW on this forum board...both in south jersey) that live near you. Id just like to restate that possibly he should be the one doing all the research on this site to decide weather he wants one or not. The car is a bit of matinence, but if well kept its reiable.
As far as car insurance....the good thing is that the svx, at least on my insurance (AllState) its a luxory touring car. The saftey fetures such as AWD, airbags, and ABS all add to discouts on insurance. I actually saved 50 bucks a month by switching to Subaru (Coming from a big old caddilac....felt safer than it actually was)
If you are seriusly considering purchasing and havent already done it, I would search the forums on what to look for when you buy one.
Either way, good luck
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Well the key thing is the maintanence. Having Tom do work on my car is huge because thats probably the only reason why i still have it. If i had to pay mechanics their labor rates 80 an hr as opposed to toms 40 i would be screwed. Having tom and john near you is definitley a plus.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 PM
suvsareretarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
To be completely honest, the design allows for easy access to almost every part of the car. It is by far one of the most simple cars to work on. In My Humble Opinion that is....

Tom
I take it you haven't had to access the rear struts.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
suvsareretarded

I still say subaru wagon. They're decent to drive, if he slides off hte road it's no biggie... the 95-99 had a decent range of engines and transmissions to choose from, and wagons are great for hauling friends, gear... and...um. On dates. If I had it to do all over again I'd definitely get a wagon while I was in HS. It would have come in handy a lot, for many many many things.

Honestly, I think an SVX is a stupid decision for a teenagers first car.

1. No matter how smart or mature you think he is, he is going to try to see how fast he can get it up to.

2. It's expensive to repair

3. It's a collector car, and I wish people without experieince would quit destroying them

4. He will beat on it. Period.

Also, I suggest sending your kid to a different school. Being around a bunch of spoiled brats who's mommy and daddy's buy them $50,000 dollar cars isn't going to be a good influence at all.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvsareretarded
Yes I have on several occasions. When you have done it once, you can do it in half the time the next go around

Tom
Old 02-16-2006, 11:55 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvsareretarded
And I take it you haven't had to access the rear struts on other subaru sedans/coupes. Go change the struts in one of those and then try to complain about the SVX.

All of the interior stuff is much easier to do in an SVX than in other subarus, but engine work is horrible in comparison. Nothing beats changing all the spark plugs on an old BC/BF/BJ in about 10 minutes with hand tools

Tom, you should go work on a BC/BF/BJ you'd love it. Aside from interior stuff, mainly the rear struts, it's easier than an SVX. It was actually designed that way from the factory, which explains why it won the 7th annual Home Mechanic's award for "Easy-Maintenance Car of the Year" .
Old 02-17-2006, 04:48 AM
Maniac modifier

meh, I like working on SVXi. Thats why I do it. Not because there is a dime to be made. I like a challenge and this car is continually challenging me, only thing is, if I am gonna do some work on someone else's car I have to take off of work, This is money I cannot afford to lose so thats how I make up for it. If the coilpacks stay in on peice I can usually do a set of spark plugs in about 10-15 minutes

Tom
Old 02-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
ive had my SVX for a little more than a year (im 17), and while i do think it is a great car, you should really get him something that you can repair easily and that will drive easily

I drive a 92 legacy and a 93 SVX because my brother left for college and while the SVX is great, my commute to school is really too short to justify driving the SVX and getting about 15mpg while the legacy still gets me places and im not so tempted to speed.