IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan
I hear a lot less instances of mechanical failure on imported models than i do on domestic models and i certainly hear fewer of them blowing up like that Viper did.
Just my observation, but you're right, fire doesn't care what country the car is from.
Just a friendly warning, don't start this argument. You get a free one there, but if you want to live in relative sanity, just let it go.

FYI: this is the first Viper i've ever heard of blowing up. Well on the street anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
What about those CV joints that constantly go out on Hondas, and the wheel bearings and trannies that go out constantly on SVXs, and the Getrag 6-speeds on the 3000GT VR-4s, and the ECS on the 3000GT SLs, and the electrical wiring on the older Bimmers and Veedubs, and the crank walk on the older Eclipses, and the...

Face it guys, every car has its little quirks. Of all the boards to hear this comment, the last one I expected to hear it on was an SVX forum, where we keep our cars despite knowing about all the potential problems, mechanical and cosmetic, that can occur on it. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Not saying that American cars don't have their share of problems, but damn. And if you want to talk fit and finish, I remember '92 Preludes that had badly faded side mirror paint after 5 or 6 years. Not to mention that European cars often make the Japanese interiors look like cheap plastic. Not my opinion, but other people seem to think so.
Nuff said. Anyone who wishes to argue, please do some research first. Imports are not what they used to be and Domestics have come a long long way. There is no longer sufficient evidence to support one being better than the other, despite how much the Import carmakers would love you to believe there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Frankly, I'd take a dead trans anyday over a bonfire in my engine bay!

-Chike
Insurance doesn't cover a dead tranny. It does however, cover bonfires. So i'll take the bonfires, thank you.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
Insurance doesn't cover a dead tranny. It does however, cover bonfires. So i'll take the bonfires, thank you.

Mine dosn't
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Just a friendly warning, don't start this argument. You get a free one there, but if you want to live in relative sanity, just let it go.

FYI: this is the first Viper i've ever heard of blowing up. Well on the street anyway.
Advice noted, and ignored. Just because you think you know everything there is to know about cars don't judge my sanity for believing that japanese cars are better made than American ones.

I come from a large family of mechanics and while some of them drive american cars they still tell me to buy japanese ones. I have asked them why they buy american ones and they say they can get the parts cheaper and they know how to fix them so it doesn't cost them much but they say if you want a car that you dont' have to worry about then dont' buy anything made in the US. Moreso than that, my cousin Joe is a Ford mechanic and he has told me a dozen stories of instances that he has personally seen where ford intentionally designed parts to fail. Like in the Contour where they have a gearbox that has 3 sprockets: 2 steel with a brass one in the middle. The brass one strips around 30K miles almost like clockwork he says. They have to replace them all the time.

So, don't lecture me over my preference. If you still like American cars that is your choice, i'm certainly not going to question your sanity or intelligence for that, just your posts.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Anyone who wishes to argue, please do some research first.
I've edited this post because I really don't have the time to get into this argument again.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 09-19-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Define irony.
Was thinking along similar lines
Old 09-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
Imports are not what they used to be and Domestics have come a long long way. There is no longer sufficient evidence to support one being better than the other, despite how much the Import carmakers would love you to believe there is.
Not to mention that the new Volvos are nowhere near the tanks that the old ones were... Volvo has been freeriding on its reputation for durability for quite some time now.

I personally don't think that the fit and finish for American cars (when compared to Japanese cars in the same relative price/size range) are that great, but I know of far too many mechanical problems with many Japanese cars to believe that they're any better. I usually look at the performance models, though. I forgot to mention on the list of Japanese issues the apex seals on the RX-7s that destroyed the whole engine, and the fact that many "high-tech" DOHC V6 import engines are about the same size as a Corvette's 5.7L engine once you look at all the packaging involved. Not really a reliability issue, but rather a reality check on matters of engine size, since everybody seems to think that bigger-displacement "low-tech" American engines are bigger and heavier than their "high-tech" counterparts. In fact, its size makes the Corvette's LS1 an easy transplant into a Mazda RX-7 chassis, with no weight penalty, and more power and better reliability, while putting one into a BMW M3 chassis saves you 100 lbs...
Old 09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
I have asked them why they buy american ones and they say they can get the parts cheaper and they know how to fix them so it doesn't cost them much but they say if you want a car that you dont' have to worry about then dont' buy anything made in the US.
If you want to get nitpicky, that means you shouldn't buy most Japanese cars as well. The majority of them, especially the most popular ones like the Accord, etc., are assembled in the US. Just pray that they weren't made on a Monday or Friday...

On the other hand, you might want to try a Chrysler Crossfire... They're made in Germany.

Also, it's not really useful to stereotype cars based on the nationality of their manufacturer. Some Japanese automakers have worse reputations than others. Mitsubishi is the Ford of the Japanese automakers, and the Korean Hyundai was even worse than Mitsu a few years ago; they have since made an amazing 180, with great warranties and good build quality.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Advice noted, and ignored. Just because you think you know everything there is to know about cars don't judge my sanity for believing that japanese cars are better made than American ones.
1 - I know alot about cars, true.

2 - I would not judge your sanity for the reason you listed, i would judge your gullibility.

Quote:
I come from a large family of mechanics and while some of them drive american cars they still tell me to buy japanese ones. I have asked them why they buy american ones and they say they can get the parts cheaper and they know how to fix them so it doesn't cost them much but they say if you want a car that you dont' have to worry about then dont' buy anything made in the US. Moreso than that, my cousin Joe is a Ford mechanic and he has told me a dozen stories of instances that he has personally seen where ford intentionally designed parts to fail. Like in the Contour where they have a gearbox that has 3 sprockets: 2 steel with a brass one in the middle. The brass one strips around 30K miles almost like clockwork he says. They have to replace them all the time.
Save the stories, we've been over and over this only about 15 billion times, and I think most of us here are tired of it. I can give you a list of credentials matching or exceeding anything you could come up with, but would it matter? I can completely tear down and rebuild your car in the time it takes your dealer to replace the timing belts and overcharge you for it. So what? Are you going to believe me any more? I doubt it. Give it up.

Quote:
So, don't lecture me over my preference. If you still like American cars that is your choice, i'm certainly not going to question your sanity or intelligence for that, just your posts.
I would never call you crazy for buying a car that you like. I only call you crazy for trying to tell me something that I know isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I've edited this post because I really don't have the time to get into this argument again.
Hey man, i'm with you this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
If you want to get nitpicky, that means you shouldn't buy most Japanese cars as well. The majority of them, especially the most popular ones like the Accord, etc., are assembled in the US. Just pray that they weren't made on a Monday or Friday...

On the other hand, you might want to try a Chrysler Crossfire... They're made in Germany.

Also, it's not really useful to stereotype cars based on the nationality of their manufacturer. Some Japanese automakers have worse reputations than others. Mitsubishi is the Ford of the Japanese automakers, and the Korean Hyundai was even worse than Mitsu a few years ago; they have since made an amazing 180, with great warranties and good build quality.
Hey look at that. I figured it couldn't be TOO long before someone else from planet earth wandered in here and decided to explore this section of the minds of the SVX community. Welcome friend, and good luck to you. You have decided to enter an area where logic has no place and common sense is dismissed in favor of advertising claims. I've been down this road before, and it's a long one.

But thank you for showing me that there is hope out there, that the hugantic ginormous advertising budgets that the import carmakers are wielding have not brainwashed EVERYONE on this planet.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Hater

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Certified Porschephile

Oh no, not again.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Hater

Old 09-19-2005, 11:16 PM

Sometimes it's fun to try to pull Alan into these things just to see what kinda funny pics and cartoons he'll whip out.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Hater

Quote:
Sometimes it's fun to try to pull Alan into these things just to see what kinda funny pics and cartoons he'll whip out.

i don't feel like typing tonight.

we've done this all before.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Certified Porschephile

In all fairness to Shadow and those involved, will some one find a photo of a Honda burning to the ground so we can say we are being fair?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
In all fairness to Shadow and those involved, will some one find a photo of a Honda burning to the ground so we can say we are being fair?
Couldn't find pics...but I did find this...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._reopened.html

Honda thinks it's identified the problem but it doesn't seem to be able to fix it. Honda officials say that technicians are leaving the rubber gasket from the factory-installed oil filter on the engine block and placing the new filter on top of it.

When that happens, the filter doesn't seal properly, allowing oil to leak out. After a few minutes of driving, the CR-V's manifold heats up and ignites the leaking oil. Although there have been no injuries, there have been 71 "incidents," including 44 fires. In many of the fires, the brand-new vehicle burned to the ground.

Here's an idea...design your ridiculously complicated engines just like everyone else, and you won't have problems like this. If you've ever worked on a honda motor, you'll probably understand what I mean when I say that I swear they have an employee at Honda Motor Co. dedicated to making sure their vehicles are as complicated as possible. "This design is too simple, send it to Robert, he'll take care of it".