How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-13-2005, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Tribeca and other Sport Utility Vehicles

Earlier today, I was browsing the Yahoo main page and I noticed on their Buzz log, they were talking about the popularity of searches regarding fuel efficient vehicles versus SUV's.

Buzz Log link

Anyway, I was thinking that now is a terrible time to release the new Jeep full size SUV called the Commander. Anyway, the Subaru SUV is certainly not in the same class as the Commander, Hummer, or anything of the sort. If anything, it's more like a Acura MDX or Nissan Murano than a traditional SUV. Nevertheless, anyone else think that if current trends continue, the Tribeca will not sell well?

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

SUV's need to stay the hell off the road because most people who drive them don't know what the hell they are doing.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Nevertheless, anyone else think that if current trends continue, the Tribeca will not sell well?
I don't know, but it would be ironic, wouldn't it? The SVX didn't sell for similar reasons (among others, like nobody wanted to pay $35k for a Subaru).

Subaru: missin' the boat again!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 AM

I question the wisdom of introducing an upscale SUV to a market saturated with upscale SUVs. And given the uninspired advertising efforts I've seen (plus the fact that it's mighty hard on the eyes), poor sales of the Tribeca will come as no surprise.

dcb
Old 09-15-2005, 05:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Look on the good side of this. If the Tribecca is a flop, we will be able to pick one up pretty cheaply in a few years. Then we can get a trailer and tow our SVXes to SVX Meets.

Thank you SUBARU.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII
Look on the good side of this. If the Tribecca is a flop, we will be able to pick one up pretty cheaply in a few years. Then we can get a trailer and tow our SVXes to SVX Meets.

Thank you SUBARU.
hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, nice one Larry, finally you found a use for those ugly new tribeca's.... now let's see about the new WRX's (sorry guys but i hate their design).

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:08 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:

Thank you SUBARU.

Sorry Larry, tow rated at 3500 which is the tow rating of the SVX as well Even our racer and trailer weigh in at 4.5-5k
Old 09-15-2005, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Look on the good side of this. If the Tribecca is a flop, we will be able to pick one up pretty cheaply in a few years.
Yeah, I've been thinking that about the Baja.

dcb
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
poor sales of the Tribeca will come as no surprise.

We have 20 Tribecas on our lot.....the same 20 that were there 3 weeks ago

p.s. The Baja will be discontinued after the 06 MY. That makes it's total run only 4 model-years!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 09-15-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Aww... man, that sucks. I'd really like to see the things sell, because I'm loyal to the Subaru brand and so want the company to prosper, but I swear, I can't fathom what they're thinking. That dopey "Dust in the Wind" TV spot they've already worn out offers ZERO selling points and doesn't even show a good view of the vehicle. (Well, maybe that's deliberate.) Such a waste.

Incredible that the best Subaru promotion on TV these days is for motor oil: "You paid for 300 horses..." Features better shots of a WRX than any Suby advertising.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 09-15-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx

p.s. The Baja will be discontinued after the 06 MY. That makes it's total run only 4 model-years!

Dave
Ah, but that is all that Subaru had initially planned according to the early articles about it(well actually it was to die when the 05 Legacy came out). It was a keep the lines moving concept that was to help with replacing the lack of production of Rodeos. Sure, had it been a great seller then I'm sure they would've redesigned it for the 05 platform but it served its purpose for the company.

Personally, I'd buy a brand new Loyale over the Tribeca if they went back into production with only adding airbags and antilock brakes to it .
Old 09-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Personally, I'd buy a brand new Loyale over the Tribeca if they went back into production with only adding airbags and antilock brakes to it .
Me too... a wagon with "On-Demand" dual-range 4WD.

dcb
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I had some discussions about this with other GM guys who are concerned about the upcoming release of GM's completely redesigned truck line. So GM is facing this same concern. However, I don't really think it will be a problem. Consider that with the super-insano gas prices of the last few weeks, you would have expected to see people becoming super stingy when it comes to driving, or you would have expected to see alot less trucks on the road. This didn't happen. I think we are at the point in this society where, for the people who can afford to purchase the gas guzzlers, the inconvenience of not being able to drive as much is enough for them to just suck up the cost of fuel. Trucks and SUVs are so darn popular that I think not even gas prices will be able to put a noticeable dent in sales. Sure they won't sell quite as well, but the sales loss will be nowhere near enough to kill off entire vehicles.

Just my (and some other GM guys) thoughts.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:52 AM
red95svx

This is off topic, but I took a good look at some of the 06 STI's we have in stock.......BARF! The grille is fugly (like the Tribeca), and that "second wing" on the rear window??? WTF?? The Impreza line continues it's tradition of ugliness.......

I don't care how much horsepower they have, or how fast they can go 0-60, these things are just too darn ugly! Maybe it's good that they are fast...no one will be able to see you in the drivers seat, and spare you the humiliation of being inside such an ugly beast!

I'll take beauty over speed any day.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 09-16-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: