How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-01-2005, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
Opinions on Non-SVX Ride

Soooo, I couldn't convince my brother to get an SVX. He's contemplating a Volkswagen Corrado SLC, 1994. Interesting looking ride with really good #s!

Anybody know about Corrados?

Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM
SVXtra

The best thing about the Corrado was/is its handling and great potential as a reliable and inexpensive high performance bargain. It was built off the A2 Jetta platform. If the car has been well maintained and has the 174 hp 2.8L VR6 engine in good condition; the car has tremendous potential. There are also numerous after market suspension and engine up grades to include Neuspeed engine and suspension components and numerous BBM brand high performance upgrades. I would think your brother is considering an excellent car with a great high performance potential without costing a fortune to own and maintain.

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-01-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Very nice looking car as well with some minor susp/wheel mods ! This from quick search "The Corrado is considered by most critics as the best handling front wheel drive car of the late 80's and early 90's, and was listed as one of the "25 Cars You Must Drive Before You Die" by the British magazine, Car. Many owner clubs exist around the world and owners still enjoy its prodigious capabilities". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Corrado

Nice cars with some panache. Similar appeal to the enthusiast crowd as our SVXi.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-01-2005, 07:24 PM
SVX Appeal

SVX owners and Corrado owners are a lot alike. You have to love your cars or they'll eat you alive. Corrados have similar reliability issues like an SVX. They're not horribly unreliable, but they're not like a Honda. If something breaks, you're going to be paying about four times what the equivalent Ford part would cost.

They are fun cars though. They're quite sporty and nimble, and good around town. The back seat is about as good as an SVX, but they actually have a pretty useful rear hatch. The VR6 is slightly faster than the G60, but much more difficult to tune. With the supercharged G60, just changing drive pulleys will put it out front of the VR6. My buddy's G60 has been moderately tuned, but my SVX will still pull away from it. With the stock pully, there's no contest. Granted, the Corrado feels much faster when you drive it - the seat-of-the-pants experience is rather exhilarating - but the apparently slow SVX will make the Corrado a small speck in the rearview mirror.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: