IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Unhappy

premium just hit 3.29 a gal. here my tanks full and i ain't buying gas anytime soon hopefully if i can keep from driving the svx(good luck). please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
According to Snopes.com, here are the many "get back at the oil company" ploys: http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

What befuddles me is: A) The Big Gasoline Companies have been posting RECORD PROFITS for decades, and yet they keep jacking prices (no wonder). B) The UAE states that it's pumping a million barrels, per day, more than they need to and that supplies are plentiful. C) Katrina hit the rigs in the gulf, causing US prices to jump, yet, most of the Oil/Refined Gasoline from these operations goes to Japan or elsewhere overseas.

I just think the US companies have looked at prices across the pond and said, "Yeah -- we'd like to be getting THOSE kinds of prices." And for those who poo poo us for whining -- I'm sorry for you, BUT, one of the reasons I don't live THERE, is because of gas prices.

What really puzzles me is that the number two consumer of gasoline is Japan (well, after the country of CALIFORNIA ) http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/st...n_country.html. Sheesh! Where do they drive to? It's an Island for gosh sakes!

Oh, and one more footnote, when you're purchasing more than 8 times the amount of product than your second largest consumer -- bulk price savings are pretty good -- not to mention, we usually buy raw crude and refine our own gasoline, where most countries purchase their gasoline already refined. That's why our prices are "a bit" lower.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 09-02-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
:

i say make iraq the 53rd state and go take iran!!
Yeah, that's what I've been telling those folks who like to say, "It's all about the oil." If it were "all about the oil" we'd have already added the 51st star to the flag.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.

Should UPS not gas up their trucks tomorrow? How about FedEx? Oh, I know, maybe the USPS can cancel all mail deliveries tomorrow. Maybe the airlines should cancel all flights....those jets use tons of petroleum based fuel!! Heck, let's all walk to work tomorrow! THAT will teach those evil gas companies! While we're at it, let's not use any water tomorrow because we pay too much for water, and let's not use any electricity tomorrow because that is pricey also.

Dave
Old 08-31-2005, 12:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think that, at least in the short term, car-buying habits are more likely to change because of gas prices than are choices concerning where we live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
I'm hoping it has a different effect. I hope that it curbs the suburban sprawl and creates more demand for urban development. If people only commuted 5 miles a day, they'd save money. People are fleeing the city faster than the urbanites are moving in.

If you had a car that got 10 MPG and commuted 5 miles a day versus a 50 mile commute with a car that gets 40MPG, you'd still be saving money and polluting less.

I'm sick and tired of seeing on the news that some new subdivision is demanding that the local government spend money to curb their wildlife problem. If they wouldn't have built there, there wouldn't be a need to spend tax dollars on animal control.

Just my $.02

Doug

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I think that, at least in the short term, car-buying habits are more likely to change because of gas prices than are choices concerning where we live.
You can take away a man's money, but you can't take his dreams
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Now if everyone bought electric powered cars and moved to a location where power is generated by hydro...

...bah, what was I thinking
Old 08-31-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
My daughter, a home health practioner who logs many miles in her work, just yesterday traded her 70,000 mile Windstar minivan for a new Neon, at an added cost of $25 per month. (She'll save that on gas inside a week.) The grandkids will just have to get used to less space.

Rumor here this afternoon is that local stations are running out of gas. Hmm... maybe I won't be buying gas tomorrow.

dcb
Old 08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Unstoppable

RWJ has it nailed. The investors on Wall Street are playing with the price trying to drive it up so they make the big bucks. Its more or less as simple as that. And why hasn't our president not done anything? He's done in 3 years so no worries about retaliation during an election, and guess where him and his buds make all the money? Yup.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
My daughter, a home health practioner who logs many miles in her work, just yesterday traded her 70,000 mile Windstar minivan for a new Neon, at an added cost of $25 per month. (She'll save that on gas inside a week.) The grandkids will just have to get used to less space.

Rumor here this afternoon is that local stations are running out of gas. Hmm... maybe I won't be buying gas tomorrow.

dcb
i dunno about that rumor, but this is the first time i've ever seen anything like this. no rush hour traffic coming from downtown atlanta to my home. the traffic is all around the damn gas stations. this morning i drove by gas stations and the price was $2.8/gallon. now it's $3.40/gallon. a few gas stations were closed. panic's such a beautiful thing.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
premium just hit 3.29 a gal. here my tanks full and i ain't buying gas anytime soon hopefully if i can keep from driving the svx(good luck). please nobody buy gas tommorrow. it's worth a shot. right now everything is worth a shot.
Still cheaper than a gallon of milk and in PA that includes 93 cents of state and federal tax where as the milk is subsized and well doesn't have to get shipped 12000 miles. I only wish I had the nighthawk running right. Then again, I've got my stockpile of 90 gallons of gas in the driveway to last me for a while.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I've got my stockpile of 90 gallons of gas in the driveway to last me for a while.
I know where you live and I have a hose
Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest

Yeah and people thought drive offs and gas stealing was bad before.

But really I think I would make more money if I just stayed home and didn't drive to work Sure gas prices can rise but if people don't start getting huge raises over night there is going to be a serious problem.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Still cheaper than a gallon of milk

Heck, it's cheaper than a gallon of water. When I was coming back from the last Reading meet, I stopped and picked up a quart of bottled water. 1.39. Four quarts to the gallon -- 5.56 a gallon....before sales tax...for WATER. Do the math on a gallon of Visine and you'll FREAK OUT!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 08-31-2005, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest

You just don't realize how hard it is for me not to make some smartass comment. . . oh yes you do -- I forgot you'be been around here a while.
Subaru Ambassador