Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Mr Soob

Transmission compatibility over year models

Ok, I've seen so many differing claims on what year model trannies can go into an SVX... so:

Legacy/Liberty:
I am lead to beleive '92-'98 are ok.
What extra or different work is needed for a post '98 gearbox over and above what is already known for the earlier models?

Impreza:
Again, '92 - '98 are ok, correct?
What extra/different work is needed for post '98?

Ideal gearboxes:
The 6sp STi come out on top
WRX gearboxes are supposed to be strong,
Turbo Forester are supposed to be able to handle the load,
Liberty gearboxes are ok provided little modifications are done.

Anything I'm missing here? Can anyone group all the gearboxes into categories... for instance WRX and Forester Turbo I would assume are similar? This might help the dummies like me be able to pick the right gearbox out of the target zone, knowing what they are getting themselves into. Keep in mind that this applies to auto's as well, as some people may want to replace a busted SVX tranny with the auto from another Subie.
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178

Last edited by McTaff; 08-21-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The issue with the 4HEAT boxes really is compatibility with the SVX's TCU. As the SVX was discontinued after the '97 model year, you have a high probability of "issues" if you try to use a 4HEAT out of any Subie newer than '97. I don't believe there are any issues with the 5 or 6 spd MT boxes - you just have to make sure you've jumpered the right leads out of the TCU to address idle and other issues (do a search of the site to find out exactly what they are....)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Mr Soob

Weren't the newer models a different bolt pattern for the mounts or something???

For instance, I could use a manual out of a '02 Legacy/Liberty, right?
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
Old 08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
tman6429

My tranny in my 1992 SVX AWD is shot, i know finding the svx tranny is hard. I really don't wana convert it to stick. So what tranny would fit also. Direct bolt up. With small modifications to none. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Auto models,

that have the brake band, will plug into the SVX TCU. The later models, 4/5 speed, that use a clutch instead of the band, need their own TCU and a major rewiring to the TCU.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
that have the brake band, will plug into the SVX TCU. The later models, 4/5 speed, that use a clutch instead of the band, need their own TCU and a major rewiring to the TCU.

Harvey.
I think he was looking for a list of which to get and which to specifically avoid for that reason.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 08-21-2005, 08:57 PM
tman6429

So what tranny, (Automatic) can fit in an SVX awd. It seems like the original tranny is hard to find, is there different trannies from Subura cars or other cars that will fit directly??????
Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Harvey.
Harvey and I are saying basically the same thing....you'll be safe with a 4HEAT out of any other Subie as long as you stay with ones that came out of cars in the '92-'97 model years (I think '98 is safe also...)
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Liquor Assassin

what are the manual trannies to look for? when i get mine running im going to be looking for a manual to swap in. which have the best gear ratios, reliability, and are easiest to swap in?

and what is 4heat, sorry if thats a noobish thing to ask but hey.. im a n00b, bear with me
Old 08-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor Assassin
and what is 4heat, sorry if thats a noobish thing to ask but hey.. im a n00b, bear with me
It's the 4 speed (E)lectronic (A)utomatic (T)ransmission.

Aussies call it the 4EAT. It's the same 4 speed auto fitted to almost all Subarus.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:

Harvey.
Ooer. What sort of work is involved in that? I can get a '02/'03 Liberty auto and also a manual from the same year.

So, what is with doing either/or? I have two SVX's, and one will probably go to each (after sitting on the shelf for a while).
Old 08-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
It's the 4 speed (E)lectronic (A)utomatic (T)ransmission.

Aussies call it the 4EAT. It's the same 4 speed auto fitted to almost all Subarus.
McTaff,

One thing which people might be overlooking, is that you're a registered user in Sydney, Australia. The only SVXs imported there had the VTD 4EAT system.

As a result, an older 4EAT that uses a brake band system would NOT be compatible with your car. Your safest bet would be to get a 4EAT from a JDM Impreza WRX which also used the VTD system back in the mid 90's.

Any newer 4EAT should also work, as Subaru stopped using the brake band system in the '99 model year.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Mr Soob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
McTaff,

One thing which people might be overlooking, is that you're a registered user in Sydney, Australia. The only SVXs imported there had the VTD 4EAT system.
-Chike
(PM sent about this)

There is an interesting point.

Anyone have anything else to add for us poor Aussies?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff
(PM sent about this)

There is an interesting point.

Anyone have anything else to add for us poor Aussies?
McTaff,

One thing which Huck pointed out in a separate thread, a VTD 4EAT equipped with Subaru's VDC system won't be compatible.

The VDC system was a sophisticated traction control system Subaru developed. The TCU for your VTD SVX wouldn't be able to control this 4EAT. Depending on the connectors, you may be able to swap TCUs, but I'm not sure of this...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
This is getting confusing.

As far as I know there is no other 4eat box that can replace the VTD box, that is in the Euro SVX with, I believe the B4 Liberty was the only other to use a VTD box like ours.
The Liberty that uses the Transfer AWD can be fitted as long as the doner TCU is replaced also. The TCUs operate the 'C' solenoid differently, and the Euros No.1 speed sensor is in the rear of the box, not on the front diff. The US versions allready have this TCU, so they are plug compatable, with the Legacy.

The later 4/5 speed boxs, with the clutch instead of the band, have to have there own TCU, as the gear box has a number of different componets and sensors, that would have to be wired or satisfied.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.