Old 07-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Yes, Mazda Speed 6. It's an AWD too.
i'd consider one as well for 20 large!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 07-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy
i'd consider one as well for 20 large!
Me too! Too bad they cost about 10K more!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-11-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I'd have a heart-attack if a snake was MIA in my house!!!
it's the second time she's escaped from her cage. last time she was gone for seven months. i hope she comes back because she was $600. i should set a deadline for her to come back. if not, i can say that hubby wasted $600 on a snake and justify buying my cobb ap.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles

Last edited by shelfy; 07-11-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'll give another vote to the Hyundai. We bought the top of the line XG350 (2003 model) and it has been excellent, never failed once, and it's still tight and rattle free 2 years and 20k later. The new Sonata should be a nice ride and it fits the price he's looking for.

Sadly, for <20k you will barely get the cheapo model Impreza "Inexpensive and built to stay that way" is no longer the Subaru slogan..now it's something like "Getting more expensive every year!"

[Smartest but not as fun]
But really..the best advice to give would be NOT to buy a new car. It is the poorest way to spend your money, especially when just starting out of school. Buy a 2-3 year old car that is known for quality, save $4-8000 (or more) on the price, and lots of other money in insurance, etc...
[/Smartest but not as fun]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
dare i say the new Hyundai Sonata? (if AWD isn't necessary?)

got excellent reviews, cheap, great quality, great warranty. wife and i really thought the Hyundai Tucson was nice when we were shopping for the LGT, but her WRX will have to hold out for a while.

i personally wouldn't buy one - i need more sportiness, but its a great value for what you get.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com

Last edited by Stevebsy; 07-11-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:03 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Perhaps he should take advantage of those new sales or "employee pricing for everyone" deal GM has and get a Saab 9-3, 9-5 or even highest performance trim SportCombi which has an AWD with 250hp V6 trim (even though you said he’s not a fan of wagons). They are cars with decently plushed but seemingly equally sporty interiors that have pretty good performance to boot not to mention good fuel economy (I heard the turbocharged 9-3 can still go at about 30mpg even if you are going at 85mph) and if this discount is what they are really bragging about you can get once for thousands less then the usual MSRP or at least they will be priced without the "prestigious" markup. It does This is of course considering that the GM discount is really all that it is cracked up to be. Yes I do admit Saabs are a bit pricey for what they are equipped with, I am just putting them up for consideration because of that discount if indeed it is enough of one to knock even the 9-3 Aero into the Legacy GT range. When it comes down to it this just stems from seeing a silver Saab 9-3 in the parking lot which I thought looked nice and then reading about one on a post in a forum. There are also other GM vehicles to choose from, if he indeed remotely likes GM such as the Pontiac Grand Prix or even the G6, not to mention the new Impala SS, not to mention others such as the Nissan Altima SE-R, which has performance that makes it basically a four door 350Z with a bigger trunk.

Pics of the Saab 9-3 SportCombi and SportSedan

Last edited by Weebitob; 07-11-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
since my commuter car is a Nissan Sentra with over 170k in virtually trouble free miles, I'd suggest it as an alternative. The Altima is also a possibilty if he wants more power (V6).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Certified Porschephile

I like the lease return option. You can get a 2002 or 2003 BMW 330i (before Bangle-isation) for around $20k. Or a nice G35. Cars that pamper and look alot nicer then a new $20k car like a Mazda 3 or Scion tC.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Unhappy

Harry Newman's (newsvx) son Kyle, brought his very sharp copper Mazda 3 auto-tranny sport wagon to the Winchester, VA Benz club autocross last Sunday, ran in G-stock, & whupped my 240SX by half a second. He only paid about 17K for the car, which is 16.9K more than I spent, but it IS a nice ride with lots o' space.

Ron (lost to an auto-wagon - I'm so ashamed).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
He wasn't thrilled with the Camry, but fell head-over-heels for the sweet styling of the Mazda 6! As his fiancee lives in NY, I talked to him about the base Legacy 2.5 sedan (non-turbo) and the benefits of an awd car in the Winter. He's setting up an appointment to test-drive one early this week and will give me an update by Wednesday evening.

Any other cars he should consider?

-Chike
He'll love the Legacy then as it is a clone of the 6 style wise! A friend just went shopping tonight for a new car and of course fell in love with the first one he drove. A 05 Legacy auto wagon 2.5 that he'll get for 20.6k before downpayment. Not bad in my opinion since he won't play my games like going in there right when the place is ready to close to deal.

Also send him to the Snob dealer. An optioned impreza with a nicer interior for GM employee pricing is at least worth a look.

Lastly, if he doesn't care about what it is, have him take a new Sonata out for a spin. They're even made in the US!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert

Ron (lost to an auto-wagon - I'm so ashamed).
Ron are you coming up to Cumberland on the 31st? And yes you should be ashamed but then again, I think Dave might give you a run for the money in his BRAT unless you got some new parts for that cheap heap of yours!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:22 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Ron are you coming up to Cumberland on the 31st? And yes you should be ashamed but then again, I think Dave might give you a run for the money in his BRAT unless you got some new parts for that cheap heap of yours!

I think I'll give Cumberland a whirl, but I'll probably bring the pampered SVX, thus giving the blue beast a rest. What's the address of the Cumberland affair (saving me wading through 8 pages of posts)?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:12 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
since my commuter car is a Nissan Sentra with over 170k in virtually trouble free miles, I'd suggest it as an alternative. The Altima is also a possibilty if he wants more power (V6).
-Bill
I've got a buddy with an 03 sentra - he bought it new and it has about 38,000 miles on it now. paint is peeling from the trunk, roof, rocker panels, and bumpers. There's rust showing up everywhere too. He's contacted nissan about it a number of times and they wont do a think about it I'm not sure how old your sentra is, Bill, but maybe they werent making them "south of the border" back then.

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Lots of good ideas guys. I'll be talking to him again tomorrow night and I'll mention your suggestions - I'll also see how he liked the test-drive of the Legacy 2.5i!!!

-Chike

P.S. I know it'll be more economical to get a gently used 1-2 year old car, but he'd wants to get a new car this time around.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 AM

SNAB 9-2 all the way baby!!! That's my vote. Besides, he won't look like the a memeber of the tool- of- the- month club like he would if he got a WRX or a Legacy GT.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Besides, he won't look like the a memeber of the tool- of- the- month club like he would if he got a WRX or a Legacy GT.

i'll inform my wife that we are now the Tool Family!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: