Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 07:42 PM

New member!

I just returned from Mount Isa (big drive! In x trail not svx) so my recent svx story is actually old....

Just before Christmas i was driving home in a work car & thought that i would prob spot an svx due to not being in mine....soon after i saw a glimpse of claret and my heart skipped a beat- yay svx parked on other side of road. I turned around, parked and stood around for a bit (no owners in sight).

I wrote an svx forum note and left it under the windscreen and yay- have just recieved a message- welcome newport claret!
Would you guys be keen to meet up for a drive at the end of the month?

Also, i now have to be the support crew for chris in the eco challenge on the last weekend in January so can we make it the first weekend in Feb instead? I hope you haven't changed work plans Paulie

I am soooooo keen for another drive & when i got my pink slip this morning the guy testing it commented on how good it was looking. svx owner getting big head re car washing skills.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:25 AM
newportclaret

Smile

Hi Moshols
We have three children which precludes us from going on an SVX drive as a whole family, but we love our SVX and this website is hilarious - apologies if it's not meant to be hilarious - and there is, of course, professional help for those who require it - SVXAnonymous meetings every second Thursday in the month, but you have to leave the car at home.

Our love story began when we drove up to Lindfield Subaru (pre-children) to trade our Subaru 1800 up to a $28K packaged Subaru Liberty Ski FX for a holiday in the snow, instead we noticed this sleek beast in the showroom and the dealer (instantly recognising two suckers) said would you like to take "the baby" for a test drive and we looked at each other with a glint in our eyes and off we drove, then stopped in a side street and looked at each other again and thought WO!!! Hang the expense, let's go the mid-life crisis. Our family and friends thought we'd lost the plot. Clearly jealous of baby claret!

We have since taken it (with two kids in the back) skiing - not the most practical car to go on a skiing holiday with kids, but other car broke down on South Dowling Street on way to snow.

Our neighbour's sister lives up this way (Palm Beach perhaps) and has a black top - white underbelly with number plates BJ ??? -funny I always imagined SVX owners to be all middle-aged men with a crisis looming in their lives, but clearly not - just my husband!

We don't get to look at the net very often with three ferals, so apologies if you try to contact us, but we shall wave frantically when we spot you in traffic amongst those uncouth, uninitiated non-wavers!!!!!
Newport Claret

Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Hi and welcome

Glad to see that the art of SVX hunting is resulting in new members!!

Is the BJ plated one for sale at the moment (I think there is one on one of the car sales sites)

Make sure that you upload some photos into the locker - obligatory to new members!!

Do you know much about the history of your car, previous rego's and the like? Because there are so few, we have managed to piece together the backgrounds on quite a lot of cars -helps immensely when dealers try to gouge proscpective buyers with huge markups!!

Cheers

james

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 01-21-2005, 04:32 AM
newportclaret

Hi James

Thanks for your welcome.

Not sure about BJ as I haven't seen her for a while - and now I know why - how could she be so heartless?

Photos of our's will appear when I have given the baby a bath - probably should take it to Moshols to build upon her world famous skills in car washing.

NewportClaret born 1996, one mother and father - us.

Starting to get a bit arthriticky in the driver's door hinge - any suggestions? - tried WD40 and fish oil? Perhaps it needs industrial strength grease!

Do you know any switched on mechanics for SVXs on the northside?

Sorry, too many questions from this new member.

Must go and polish the tow bar!

Regards
NewportClaret
Old 01-21-2005, 04:38 AM
newportclaret

Hi James again
Something just came to mind as I was about to log out - the strangest thing happened the other day when I returned home in the baby and parked in the driveway - A black/white SVX (not BJ) pulled into our driveway behind our car as if it were going to stop and I opened my squeaky door and he just pulled back out of the driveway and drove off - thought it odd at the time, but possibly SVXpionage - I'm alert, but not alarmed!
NewportClaret
Old 01-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Hi Newport Claret, and welcome!

Well film stars get to have pet stalkers, so why not the SVX! Eh?

Mine is Black over Shiraz, a more spicy mix.

Arthritic door? I just use ordinary 3 in 1 oil on the hinges, it does the trick. They are pretty sturdy hinges, and I would be surprised if the pin has worn. Possible, but unlikely.

The metal retainer strap is constantly getting dry, and requires regular attention. This could be your problem?

I suggest you use tissues and WD 40 to clean it off , removing older grease. Give it a rub of fine sandpaper or steel wool if it has got rusty. Then put on a coat [light coating] of good grease like copaslip etc. You could also use sticky motorcycle chain spray grease, it's very good, just don't spray it on the door trim or anything you want to keep clean!

If you do all this and it is still clunky, check that the door when opening is not fouling the plastic lower panel on the front wing. This happend my lhs when I drove over a small rock I could not see, and displaced the plastic cladding a little.

Best of luck with the fix.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2005, 06:19 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
A black/white SVX (not BJ) pulled into our driveway
If you noticed that it was not 'BJ', did you happen to notice what the rego was?
Just to be sure, make sure you always lock the Claret and turn on the alarm (don't tell us if it doesn't have one!!).
WHAT, ME PARANOID?
Oh, by the way, welcome to the group!
Arthur.

PS, Hope to see you at the next SVXAnonymous meeting.
I'll have to come in my '91 DL.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM
newportclaret

this is the other driver of the claret SVX... I had been wondering what my wife has been doing on the computer late at night! (and thanks darl for the crack about mid-life crises)

Our kids call our car 'the locky car', not because of doors and alarms but because our oldest could not say Rocket when she was learning to talk. And Rocket because we too "don't drive fast, but fly low".

This SVX spy thing has caught on...I passed SVX 093 on McCarrs Creek Rd today, parked in a driveway. I slowed down but stopped myself putting a note under the windscreen

one sick puppy
Old 01-25-2005, 01:44 AM

Nnooooooooooooo!!!

Please tell me you did not do that!! For shame!!

Was it a dark coloured car (either black or dark grey...like my ex car.....in 2 days it will be exactly a year since I sold it... )

That rego is familar....believe it to the same one I saw in Kenthurst around 5 years ago

*My name is James and I have a problem......*

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
James with a problem

Have you managed to put a downpayment for your problem yet?

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 AM

Sadly not - have just gotten off the phone with Inland Revenue....you have never ever in your life encountered bureacracy till you have dealt with that den of vipers!!

Pah!

More fixated on getting correct tax bracket now than anything else!

How goes your car collection??

Old 01-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
Sadly not - have just gotten off the phone with Inland Revenue....you have never ever in your life encountered bureacracy till you have dealt with that den of vipers!!

Pah!

More fixated on getting correct tax bracket now than anything else!

How goes your car collection??

I think the answer to that question is "accrueing nicely"

Hope Ann does not read this.

Current count in no specific order:

Blue Honda Civic
Claret & Black SVX
Ebony Mica SVX
Blinding white Legacy GT twin turbo
Liquid silver Legacy GT twin turbo
Black Matra Simca Bagheera

Have a look at the Legacies in my locker.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-25-2005, 02:02 PM
newportclaret

Cheer up James with problem

Sounds like your only problem is that you don't live in Sydney, or Monaco or Grand Cayman.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Welcome to the site Newports.

Svx spotting in Sydney brings new members to the forum again. Good to see a car with two drivers. As you can see some have to hide the running cost away from the better half, for fear of conjugal retribution.

I don't get to see many other SVXs up here, actually only ever seen two others, Blakes and Pete Alexs. Sometimes I get Bernice to drive ours down around the bottom paddock, so I can go"shizz, there goes a SVX" as I snap a few pics,

Hope to get down soon to meet some of the Sydney crowd again.

Welcome again,
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 PM
newportclaret

Harvey with problem

Crikey, there's a real need out there for therapy. Don't think I can look at another SVX driver quite the same way again! Underneath that sleek exterior sits an individual in a questionable mental state. I have to park where Moshols spotted us for the first time soon - think I'll park in a side street just in case of Moshols paparazzi tendencies!

Must go and rub the SPF30+ into baby claret - hot Australia Day in Newport!
Karin