Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-16-2004, 08:52 AM
maroon menace

don't get insulted by this question, but is there oil in the tranny? the correct weight oil? A dry transmission will sound like a bag of marbles and would soon be worth less than one.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:24 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Yep, he mentioned in an earlier post that he's got gear oil in the gearbox.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
yup there is 3.7 quarts of Royal purple, possibly soon to be changed out due to it not being ideal...Well i just got up and am getting ready to pull some stumps out that the hurricanes left me with and then starting on the car to pull it out and reinstall with no TOB or clutch fork.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:16 PM
maroon menace

does the transmission and the differential use the same oil source. are they both filled. a high pitch whine sure sounds like gear noise. the ultimate problem might be a bad rebuild.
good luck
Old 10-16-2004, 11:23 PM

hmm...am i wrong in assuming the oil i put into the tranny is not also in the front diff???Is there a different spot to fill for the front diff and the tranny on the wrx transmission??
Old 10-17-2004, 05:43 AM
maroon menace

sorry. did my homework and they share a common fluid. the search goes on.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:03 PM

quick question for you mychailo, when you're car is running are there any sounds that come from the engine/tranny junction point???Just checking...Well the tranny is out again for the 6th time and im trying to find the zero points on the flywheel and pressure plate to see if thats whats holding me back here....
Old 10-18-2004, 03:14 PM
sans SVX

Derek, I've had the car running up on a lift several times now while trying to get an annoying rattle out of my exhaust system. I haven't had any reason to listen specifically in the flywheel/clutch area though. I've never heard anything that has caught my attention. So, the best I can say is that I don't hear anything from that area.

So did you put the gearbox in without the TOB and fork? If so, what was the result?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:27 PM

no i ended up trying to put it in with the clutch and flywheel aligned differently thinking maybe the zero marks were off or that maybe the other 5 times i didnt have the pressure plate on the two dowels so i tried it again and to no avail that damn sound is still there...Im on my way out to pull it back out and try it without the TOB, i just had to try one more time before i decided to bring it back to them or do it without the TOB installed....Ill be getting back on here in about an hour or so to let you know the results...The only good thing that might have came out of this is that i can pull and install the tranny in no time by myself with no lift...Not an easy task at all, also one im very very tired of doing...
Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM

**** IT....Im done with this...Im having it towed to a tranny shop that used to do work on my jeeps, and gonna see what he says he thinks the noise is...I can't stand this anymore....
Old 10-18-2004, 05:17 PM

Mychailo, I was just thinking before i started to pull the tranny...Since the noise is only when the clutch is let out, wouldn't this make it an issue of clutch/flywheel clearance/alignment???Im just trying to think of all my possible problem areas here and what i should do...I would just hate to pull the tranny and reinstall it just to have that sound again and not be able to pin point it any further other than not being the TOB, which im leaning towards it not being, especially since its brand new...Also it is normal for there to be wear marks from the clutch on the flywheel even though it hasnt even come off jackstands yet correct??Cause you can see where the clutch is grabbing on the flywheel vs. the untouched areas...Bleeding the clutch has no effect on the sound whatsoever..The only way it stops is by pressing the clutch..Going along with that thought, when you press the clutch it no longer spins correc?Meaning it pulls away from the flywheel when pressed?.?If this is the case then the TOB is working correctly and it must be something with the clutch/flywheel or am i wrong here???Thanks for any and all help..
Old 10-18-2004, 05:56 PM
sans SVX

1) Even if you haven't take the car off the jackstands, just engaging and disengaging the clutch a few times while the engine is running could put some scratch marks on the flywheel surface where the disk friction material makes contact.

2) Indeed, when you push in the clutch pedal, the pressure plate moves away from the flywheel, and the disk will stop spinning. The pressure plate obviously keeps spinning because its bolted to the flywheel.

I do have one thought which hopefully won't offend you: Is the clutch disk symmetrical? To put it another way, is there a front and back?

Another general thought: Are you sure you are assembling the clutch fork/TOB system properly?

Visit my locker

Old 10-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Hmm....Well as far as i know im putting the clutch in the correct and only way it looked as if it were to go to me..I have the clutch disc with the raised center section going into the inside of the Pressure plate, and the flat section going up against the flywheel. This looked like it was the only way for it to bolt up and i believe if i recall correctly its how it should go...As far as the TOB and clutch fork go, after much research and talking to 2 subaru techs it sounds like im putting it in the correct way as well...The TOB is put onto the input shaft and then the clutch fork is slid into the ears of the TOB, you slide the pin from the side of the tranny through the clutch fork and it locks the fork in place essentially...ONce the tranny is mated to the engine and bolted up you push back on the clutch fork and you can feel/hear it engage the PREssure plate like its supposed to...Also i thought it might be the clutch not being totally aligned but the wear marks are consistent and I've been using a clutch tool the whole time. This is really throwing me for a loop here....
Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 PM
sans SVX

Yep, sounds like you got the TOB installation correct. Shouldn't be a problem with clutch disk or pressure plate alignment either.

One more thought... is it possible the the flywheel is scraping against the engine case? Since it is a pull-type clutch, if there is freeplay in flywheel and you push in the clutch pedal, this would pull the flywheel away from the engine case. Did you remove the flywheel when you did the tranny rebuild?

Visit my locker

Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM

yes the flywheel was removed...And there still is aprox. 1/4in or less movement when i pull on the flywheel before the tranny is mated...I figured it had to be normal because the bolts were torqued to spec???However a similar thought struck me as before when shane and i installed the tranny originally he just had me torque the bolts down with a gun...SO i was thinking maybe the original install put the bolts further into the back of the engine or something crazy like that???Because im sure when the gun was firing at 130 psi it torqued the bolts pretty good....THis play is in the entire flywheel/pressure plate/clutch assembly...It feels as if it pulls away from the back of the engine aproximately 1/4in. or so...This sound like a potential source???